SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 29 slide locking back after every shot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 29 slide locking back after every shot Login/Join 
posted
I have a new gen 4 glock 29 that worked just fine until I installed a new trigger and take down lever and ghost extended slide stop. The slide locks back after almost every shot or every 3 or 4 shots. During a function check while empty everything seems fine. Slide closes without a mag in and locks back with an empty in there and also if loading with slide back or slide closed it everything is as it should be until I shoot it.

I'm going to put the stock slide stop in there and see what it does. I'm thinking maybe I put it back together wrong?

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good possibility. I put a Zev trigger in a 26 one time and it wouldn't reset. Took it apart and I kinda messed up a spring. It happens.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
You're not making any contact with the slide release lever with your hands are you?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think so, I have a bad habit of holding it down if anything. I do it on my p30sk a lot

posted Hide Post
Stock parts work, new parts don't. I'm not working very hard on diagnosing this one?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot it left handed and see what happens. My bet is you're pushing up on the lever.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Stock parts work, new parts don't. I'm not working very hard on diagnosing this one?

I stick with stock parts for exactly this reason.
For the life of me, I can't think of a reason for an extended take down bar for a Glock. The stock one works fine for the once a year you take it apart to clean it. Also, the 0.0001 seconds faster that the extended one might be isn't worth the worry that it might not function properly (and send a slide flying into your face under recoil).

Glocks like stock.

YMMV,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I'm thinking maybe I put it back together wrong?
The slide stop spring bears against the locking block pin. If the slide stop is put into the pistol before the locking block pin, the spring lacks sufficient tension and this is why you get the premature locking after every shot.

Here's a little Glock assembly ditty for you:

The top pin is the locking block pin.
It's the first one out and the first one in.

Remember this and you won't again put it back together incorrectly.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Take the top pin out.
Take the bottom pin out.
Take the slide stop lever out.

Make sure the spring is not bad.

Install the TOP pin first.
Put the slide stop lever in so the spring goes under the top pin.
Put the bottom pin in.

I call the top pin the FIRST pin, no matter what.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yep, what Para and Phelen_Kell said. If it's still doing it after installing the slide stop in the correct order and sequence, only then you can start suspecting the aftermarket part as being the problem.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll give it a shot when I get home, I suspect this is the culprit because I'm pretty sure I put the bottom pin in first, thanks guys

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You put the top pin in, you put the slide stop in, you put the bottom pin in, and you shake it all about...

You do the Glocky-Pokey, and you turn your gun around.

That's what it's all about.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Once you get it working right, you may find that you will still have problems with it.

I had to take the Ghost extended slide stop out of my G32. I kept bumping it under recoil. I didnt do that with the factory slide stop.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post