SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Buying a Pistol - what round count do you lower your offer?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a Pistol - what round count do you lower your offer? Login/Join 
Picture of Delong31
posted
Recently sold my 226 and the fella I was negotiating with might as well have whistled, tipped his hat back, and wiped sweat from his brow when I told him it probably had 600-700 rounds through it.

It kind of made me wonder what round count would make me want to ask for an extra discount on a pistol - assuming the pistol was in good working condition with none-to-few cosmetic issues. Without thinking too hard on it, I’d probably say 2000 as you’re starting to near some small part swaps.

What round count do you take your offer down another notch?

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a few things about round count, to me at least.

One, is sellers generally under-represent actual round counts. Like the saying about ask a girl how many guys she's been with, then multiply by 3 for the real answer. So he's probably figuring when you say 6-700, you mean 2000.

Two, I think most people get too caught up on the number, rather than the circumstances. Like a cars mileage. 50,000 miles from a guy who drives highway and keeps detailed service records down to wiper blade replacement intervals is different than 50,000 miles from a kid that brake torques, neutral slams and tries to e-brake drift like he's a stunt driver. Translated to guns, is the guy following Flork's guide or torture testing his guns? Firing only target loads or testing the boundaries of hand-loads? So I'd look at signs of wear more than round count. Because that's what round counts are really trying to represent, right? Expected wear. And personally I'd buy a parts kit to swap out wear items for any firearm intended for serious use.

Three, the cost of ammo to wear out a gun is gonna exceed the cost of the gun itself by a large amount.

Actually thinking about it, most of my guns bought used were sight unseen police trade-ins. But then, they're also range only. My defensive firearms were all bought new.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
None. I don't even ask a round count. Condition of the gun, current market value and its level of rarity are what dictates my offer.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
None. I don't even ask a round count. Condition of the gun, current market value and its level of rarity are what dictates my offer.

This

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've never really thought about at what round count I would lower my offer. I certainly wouldn't care about 600-700 rounds on a full-size service pistol. I also just look at the condition of the gun and base my offer on that.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Buy the gun, not the story. You can judge condition based on an inspection, but round count is just a story that you weren't there to see.

Honestly, very few people put enough rounds through a gun to wear anything out. And if they're the sort that's shooting that much, they're also likely to be fixing anything that wears out. I'd more concerned with slide rail wear from inadequate lubrication and rust from improper care than round count.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Unless we are doing some really serious shooting, most of us will not live long enough to appreciably wear a quality firearm. I look for signs of use, abuse, excessive wear, and neglect. Collectors are often looking for pristine guns, so low round counts may be important but, for a shooter, who cares, provided the gun is well maintained and in good condition?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HayesGreener,

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped counting at 50k with my hk usp 9 years ago still no part changes. I stopped on my dw pm7 at just over 11k, and the same time on my dw guardian at 10k.

Right now i keep records of the firs 3-4k through a gun. Mostly ammo types that do mot work if any. After that round count is bullshit.

I have yet to buy a pistol that has only had 200 rounds through it that really only has had 200 rounds through it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only people I know who track that are on this forum. I find it a bit obsessive.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Heck. 600-700 is just broken in.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a LOT of used firearms. I don't think I've ever asked about a round count, and I couldn't tell you what the round count is on most of my firearms.

I look at the condition of the firearm.

Round count is subjective; it says nothing about the care given the firearm. A low round count with no lubrication is quite different than a higher round count with adequate maintenance.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy at my range (since passed on) who was the worst handloader ever. Double charges! Triple charges! And many a squib.

I once saw him shoot 3 consecutive squibs into a S&W Model 28 revolver. I saw him shoot a squib followed by a full load into a .45 Nighthawk, cracking the barrel. A couple of weeks would go by and the gun would be on the table with the "FOR SALE" sign. Always claimed to have less than 200 rounds through the gun, and always at the high end pricing wise.

I really think a better thread would be if someone more knolegable and more articulate than me would start a thread about what to look at in regards to frame/slide wear and such forth to help a prospective buyer seperate the good from the bad and the ugly.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even blink an eye at buying a used gun with 6-700 rounds through it.

I've bought a lot of used guns, mostly all at gun shows and who knows what the round count is. Who cares really. I inspect the fit, finish and signs of wear. Signs of wear is most important. A gun that was shot completely dry with 1000 rounds through it, could have more wear than one with 10,000 rounds that was properly lubricated. Same with finish wear, how many carry guns have the finish completely worn and beat up, with less than 500 rounds down the pipe.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said; every gun I've ever bought used was based on condition, not the buyer's stated round count.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How many people keep records of round count? And I know by asking this, I'll bring those that do out of the woodwork. But if you ask the seller for round count, the chances of getting anything other than a self-servingly lowball guestimate are pretty bad.

If you're buying used, you should be able to get a good idea of condition by look and feel.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
For me it's either NIB or used. 10 rounds or 10K, it's still used.

After that it's all on the condition.
If someone is selling a "used" gun at near new price then I will just buy a new one if that's what I'm after.
Depending on the gun and availability of course.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
600-700 rounds is just breaking it in,

only folks I know that count rounds are the rifle shooters that shoot comps, (Service Rifle etc)

as someone who sells used firearms that is one of the questions that I get asked often, and always tell them I have no idea, since any story the seller tells me when I buy it from him/her may be suspect, (I buy the gun, not the story, then sell the gun, not the story)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
For me it's never fired or fired.
A gun that's used needs to be in very good condition to make it worth buying by me.
Unless it's some really collectible gun (and I'm not a collector), I can't justify the risk that it will need more than I can see.
The price to repair or send off for repairs won't offset the discount for a used gun to me.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

This. Look at the damn gun.

I would be dubious of a round count anyway. Could be high, but is more likely to be low. I don't keep track and wouldn't even begin to try to guess for guns I own.

But 600 rounds for a pistol are nothing. Now, on a barrel burning varmint or competition rifle, 600 rounds might be a lot. And those guys are more likely to actually know a round count in the first place. Of course, barrels are consumable on those rifles anyway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the condition vs the supposed round count. Is the frame worn silver, how many Sig smiles are on the barrel, etc. What is the date code or -# (if Smith)? How hard is it to rack the slide and similar indications of spring wear? Is there obvious damage to critical parts? what does the barrel crown look like?

Most of the time I've purchased a used gun, round counts haven't been available. I've tried keeping round counts and even purchased little notebooks to do so, but given the number of firearms and the fact I tend to buy used guns, I'm often not successful. Unless I go to classes that have specific round counts listed.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post