SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Minimum Barrel Length on a 9mm Carry Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum Barrel Length on a 9mm Carry Gun Login/Join 
Picture of jbn8705
posted
Hello,

Apologies in advance for the caliber related question. I looked for these two questions, but did not find them in my search results.

I was wondering how many of you felt comfortable that 9mm was a sufficiently potent caliber for EDC.

I've looked at ballistics by the inch for 9mm, but the speeds listed did not mean a lot to me.

What's the minimum acceptable velocity for reliable 9mm performance?

Question:
Would you carry a 9mm pistol for your concealed EDC?

Choices:
Yes, 9mm will do the job just fine for two-legged creatures
Yes, I would even be comfortable going down to .380 if need be
No, I would carry a .45 ACP
No, I would carry a .357 Sig

Question:
If you would carry a 9mm, what is the shortest length barrel you would be willing to go down to? (in regards to velocity and terminal effectiveness)

Choices:
5 inches (avg. velocity 1233)
4.5 inches (avg. velocity 1204)
4 inches (avg. velocity 1174)
3.5 inches (avg. velocity 1140)
3 inches (avg. velocity 1105)
I would feel well armed with a 9mm pistol at any barrel length

Posts: 1208 | Location: Taichung 台中, Taiwan 台灣 | Registered: September 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm works for defense. I do carry a .357 Sig. I also carry 9mm.

Barrel length is what fits your needs. Three inches is probably about as short as one would want to go with 9mm. I carry a P365 quite a bit; it's got a 3.1" barrel. My G43 and 43X and G26's have 3.4" barrels.

Length doesn't matter that much; it's about shot placement, and that's about training, rather than length, sight radius, or anything else.

If you're in a gunfight, the ONLY thing that will matter is shot placement, and if you're stopping a threat, repeat shot placement in time. What's going to allow you to maintain the best control over that pistol and put as many rounds as needed in the target as quickly as possible? Probably 9mm, and if it's from a short barrel, it won't matter, and the target won't care. Or know.

9mm is going to be a lot less expensive to train with, especially if you train enough. That determines shot placement.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
3.1" and whatever it spits out.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
As much sight radius as one can comfortably conceal. It's not just easier, it's faster and more precise with less effort. 3.5" seems short to me, but I can work with it.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been occasions when all I could comfortably conceal was a NAA .22 Revolver and felt better served than without it. I've carried a P229 in .357 Sig in the past, and now almost 100% it's a P365.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Years back I chroned several 320's of various barrel lengths. Same ammo, same conditions, same day. The differences in MV was insignificant in the 9mm.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently run a hellcat with a 3 inch barrel and thats just fine. Plenty of people run 365s as well with no issues. I've seen 9mm open up out of barrels that short as long as the ammo is designed for something short.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Velocity loss is significant, as barrel length reduces. Energy loss is also equally significant.

Rounds expanding is largely irrelevant; there's a mythology that energy is somehow delivered to the target by expanding and stopping (and thus increases "stopping power"), or that expanding tears a bigger hole; whether the round expands or not isn't a big deal. Whether the round penetrates IS a big deal, and whether it goes where you intend it to go is everything. Shot placement is everything.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with my Glock 26 and HST 147gr.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm good with the barrel length in my Shield 9mm. I plan to pick up a 365 if they are ever available again.

But the weather is getting cooler so soon I'll be wearing enough clothes to conceal a 228 or my gen 5 Glock 19.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
To me, caliber is not my main concern with a EDC gun, PROFICIENCY with the gun I carry is my main concern.
I'm carrying the gun to protect myself and others from grave bodily harm or death, my responsibility is to NOT harm others in the process.
I will only carry a gun I KNOW I can shoot accurately and present it quickly. I also ALWAYS carry a spare magazine in case of a malfunction.
I also limit my carry weapon to a gun I shoot frequently, so there is a very small short list.
I carry a full size CZ Shadow SPO1 when ever I can dress to the gun. If not possible, I carry a Kahr CM45. I always go for a Outside holster if at all possible.
A short barrel anything is my last choice.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I never shot that well with the compacts or sub compacts. I carry a standard size FNP 4"barrel in 9mm when I do carry. If I print a little bit so what? I recently picked up a CZ PO7 which is slightly smaller and has the same round capacity as the FNP. I haven't shot it enough to know if I want to carry it. But I do shoot that FN well so the CZ will have it's work cut out for it if it wants to replace the FN.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbn8705:
Hello,

Apologies in advance for the caliber related question. I looked for these two questions, but did not find them in my search results.

I was wondering how many of you felt comfortable that 9mm was a sufficiently potent caliber for EDC.

I've looked at ballistics by the inch for 9mm, but the speeds listed did not mean a lot to me.

What's the minimum acceptable velocity for reliable 9mm performance?

Are you serious about that "wondering"? Countless folks carry the nine everyday.

Btw, what the heck are doing in Taiwan, where civilian possession of handguns is prohibited?

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I feel more comfortable with a 9mm out of a 3" barrel than I do a 45 out of a 3" barrel (but then I feel more comfortable with 9mm in general anyway).

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbn8705
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond. This was the info I was looking for.

Posts: 1208 | Location: Taichung 台中, Taiwan 台灣 | Registered: September 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a bit I carried a Kimber 3 inch 1911 and was sort of happy with a 6+1 capacity but now am way happier with a 10 ounce lighter gun in my Shield with an 8+1 capacity in 9mm.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Obviously (or not), ammo has a lot to do with the selection. I'm very confident in my G19's capabilities with the right ammo. Also, I carry a Kimber Micro-380 on occasion and have no doubts that my defense ammo will do the job!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post