SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Apex Failure Resistant Extractor for Glock with aftermarket barrels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apex Failure Resistant Extractor for Glock with aftermarket barrels Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
Has anyone used the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor on a Glock with an aftermarket barrel? If so, have you had any problems with it?

I have a Gen 3 Glock 17 that has a Wheaton Arms barrel that is dead balls accurate. The gun has other mods as well and is designated as a fun gun. I am on the original extractor and I am not having any problems. I am considering the Apex product for longevity.

I spoke with Apex today and they gave me the usual disclaimer. I then spoke to Robbie at Wheaton arms and he mentioned that there has been no mention of any aftermarket extractor problems with his barrels.

This is from Apex:
"Due to variations in manufacturing, this extractor is not recommended for use with aftermarket slides and/or barrels".

Thanks in advance Gentlemen

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
I’ve used them with Wilson barrels with no ill effects. I can’t imagine you’ll run into any issues.

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have had no issues with the OEM extractor, with proper cleaning. If worn or a really high round count, I would replace it with a stock one.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Glocks are reliable if you let them be Glocks.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with RN shooter- for every aftermarket part you put in a gun your chances of developing an issue goes up. I see it in every shooting sport with boring consistency- then gun that choke most have been tinkered with and part swapped to failure. If something works leave it alone

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
+1
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I have had no issues with the OEM extractor, with proper cleaning. If worn or a really high round count, I would replace it with a stock one.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Glocks are reliable if you let them be Glocks.

Bruce

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I tend to agree with RN shooter- for every aftermarket part you put in a gun your chances of developing an issue goes up. I see it in every shooting sport with boring consistency- then gun that choke most have been tinkered with and part swapped to failure. If something works leave it alone

The FRE was designed to fix or improve erratic extraction that Glock is known for. Swapping this part in will not lead to a higher chance of something going wrong. Virtually every Glock I see has erratic extraction ejection at one point or another.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Damn, Jones. I have never seen that in any of my Glocks but I may still have to give the FRE a good look. I am assuming you have seen those issues with duty Glocks and the FRE was a reliable fix?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I have two, both in G19-4 with glock barrels. No BTF for me.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have six Glocks with the Apex FRE.
No issues, no problems, many tens of thousands of round later.
I use the FRE which helped correct brass to face ejection.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Virtually every Glock I see has erratic extraction ejection at one point or another.

I agree. The brass to the head is most unwelcome. My Sig 238 did that as well. Not had that trouble with any other pistols.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I was looking to order the Apex FRE until I saw the price: 3x the price of the OEM one! No thanks. I am not curious enough, especially since the stock item has been 100%, for me.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I have a Vickers G17 and had had issues with ejecting straight back or even left, I did research and found that needed ejector upgrade to the gen 4. I also replaced the extractor with a OEM Glock and still had same issue, so I ordered the Apex extractor with great results. I'm not buying a gen 3 again as I really don't like them unless is a Vickers or RTF other than that I would not buy a gen 3.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venenoindy:
I have a Vickers G17 and had had issues with ejecting straight back or even left, I did research and found that needed ejector upgrade to the gen 4. I also replaced the extractor with a OEM Glock and still had same issue, so I ordered the Apex extractor with great results. I'm not buying a gen 3 again as I really don't like them unless is a Vickers or RTF other than that I would not buy a gen 3.

The weird part is I have seen issues with Gen 3,4, and 5.

My Gen5 17 developed issues at about 15k, and stopped grouping at right around 19k.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The FRE was designed to fix or improve erratic extraction

What is erratic extraction?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I was looking to order the Apex FRE until I saw the price: 3x the price of the OEM one! No thanks. I am not curious enough, especially since the stock item has been 100%, for me.

Bruce

Another thing I noticed is BTF usually with 115gr, with 124 or up, no problem with mine

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by venenoindy:

The weird part is I have seen issues with Gen 3,4, and 5.

My Gen5 17 developed issues at about 15k, and stopped grouping at right around 19k.

Bummer. That's not a lot of rounds for a Glock to go tits up. I mean it happens......I broke a locking block and cracked the frame on a G-26 at about that many rounds. But I suspect that particular gun was out of spec due to other issues.

Were you able to fix the gun and if so what was wrong with it?

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
The FRE was designed to fix or improve erratic extraction

What is erratic extraction?

One casing flies to three o’clock, the next one barely dribbles out of the port, the next four go back to the shooters forehead, the next flies up in the air, the next flies to five o’clock, the next four go to the shooters face, etc.

It is extremely common. Glock blamed “limp worsting”, weak ammo, the tides and moon.........anything but Glock. When agencies started to dump their guns, they quietly came out with a fix. It worked in some guns, some just had to be traded off for guns that worked.

The FRE has fixed every gun I have seen it installed in.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I would call it erratic ejection... Wink

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lontai,

That is what I was hoping to hear.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by lontai:
I’ve used them with Wilson barrels with no ill effects. I can’t imagine you’ll run into any issues.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 19x was throwing brass back at the RMR. The Apex extractor fixed the issue 100%.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post