SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 function reminder.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 function reminder. Login/Join 
Press hard,
Three copies
posted
I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but please remember when reassembling your P320 to lock the slide to the rear and then rotate the takedown lever to the locked position. And then for the love of god function test the pistol. If you don’t you will have a dead trigger until the slide lock lever moves up, rack it all you want ain’t gonna help.

We just had a fresh rook not pay enough attention in firearms figure this out the hard way. Luckily it was just while trying to put a deer down. But doesn’t change the fact that he’s been rolling with a paper weight on his hip for quite a while.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch. Grandad always said, if you’re gonna be dumb you better get tough.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but please remember when reassembling your P320 to lock the slide to the rear and then rotate the takedown lever to the locked position. And then for the love of god function test the pistol. If you don’t you will have a dead trigger until the slide lock lever moves up, rack it all you want ain’t gonna help.

We just had a fresh rook not pay enough attention in firearms figure this out the hard way. Luckily it was just while trying to put a deer down. But doesn’t change the fact that he’s been rolling with a paper weight on his hip for quite a while.

Hi ceptor (sounds like Game of Thrones), just for clarity, are you saying that even if you can successfully reassemble the pistol without locking the slide to the rear that it won't fire unless (and until) the slide lock has affirmatively gone into the slide-locked position? That seems very odd, but not unbelievable...has anyone else duplicated this?

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ether:
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:

Hi ceptor (sounds like Game of Thrones), just for clarity, are you saying that even if you can successfully reassemble the pistol without locking the slide to the rear that it won't fire unless (and until) the slide lock has affirmatively gone into the slide-locked position? That seems very odd, but not unbelievable...has anyone else duplicated this?

You can verify yourself.

Assemble the pistol without using the slide lock. Hold the slide back and thumb the slide lock up into position but don't let go of the slide.

You'll hear it click as the sear block (or whatever the name of the FCG safety is) is released.

The assembly procedure specifically calls for the slide to be locked to the rear, which masks this action. I assemble my 22x guns without locking the slide and I thought I broke my 320 about the 4th time I had it apart and back together and apparently was the first time I did so without the slide lock.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't verify, as I have yet to buy one until I can man-handle an upgraded version in person...but, are you saying you've confirmed it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
The assembly procedure specifically calls for the slide to be locked to the rear, which masks this action. I assemble my 22x guns without locking the slide and I thought I broke my 320 about the 4th time I had it apart and back together and apparently was the first time I did so without the slide lock.

Jesus H...hopefully this has been addressed as well in the voluntary upgrade.

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ether:

Nothing to address here, read the manual. I had personally owned 320s before we transitioned to it at work and never had an issue, but they stressed and demonstrated to lock to the rear for reassembly due to this quirk of the gun.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ether, do you even own a P320? You seem to troll a lot.

My P320 is out for the upgrade so I can't look at it to be 100% sure, but I think it part of their takedown disconnect so a trigger pull isn't required. If I remember correctly, rotating the takedown lever pushes a disconnector which is held in place by part of the slide catch assembly. So to reengage the trigger, the slide catch must be pushed up.

I had never ever heard of assembling the classic line without locking to the rear before turning the takedown lever. So it had never crossed my mind to do or not with the P320.

Now that I think about it, I'll have to check the VP9 to see how HK accomplishes it.

ETA: it looks like HK lowers the trigger bar and disconnector bar then the rear of the slide pushes the sear down to release the striker to the firing pin safety. But I'm not positive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BuddyChryst,

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mean reassembling correctly????

Page 42 of the 320 manual (now upgraded to include the new models.)

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Ether, do you even own a P320? You seem to troll a lot.

That kinda hurt my feelings. I've been trolling this board awhile, but I think that's the first time I've had my feelings hurt.

I don't own a P320, and I've said as much in this very thread. I hope to own one once they fix all the known issues, and I wish you luck with yours.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Ceptor,
Did your Rook have a magazine in his P320? I ask because the issue as you describe it prohibits a magazine from being inserted.

I'm traveling and don't have my P320 or Armor's manual, but I think failing to lock-back the slide keeps the magazine safety in the way of the magazine from being seated.

I have no doubt your Rook did as you said, but he had to know something was wrong when he was unable to seat the magazine and load a round in the chamber ~ unless he is hiding that fact from you too?

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. ^^^^^^^^

Just tried it and he’s right. You can’t insert mag. I was going to also add that he obviously didn’t do a function check after reassembly. You might want to keep an eye on this guy. Lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When reassembling I lock the side to the rear, rotate the takedown lever up, work the slide a couple times--leaving it dropped, check the trigger, then load. How else would you do it?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I’ve been off since his “issue” came to light so I haven’t gotten anymore information. But you guys are correct, the magazine block should still be in place, I had forgot about that.

We’re planning a more in depth squad level discussion with him to unfuck some other issues he’s having so looks like we need to address this some more too.