SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Went on a date with the wife - to find her a pistol.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went on a date with the wife - to find her a pistol. Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
The wife and i have been talking about getting her a handgun to potentially carry, as all shes got right now is a Beretta 87. We've been waiting for our youngest to get old enough to take a bottle and be good with a babysitter, but that time finally came last thursday.

We went to the gun range and did their unlimited rentals deal. She tried the Shield, G43, Nano, Lc9, R51, XDs, P2000sk, Sig P229.

She hated the Nano and R51 with a passion. The Xds and shield were no-gos. The G43 and 229 were runners-up. But in the end the HK p2000sk was the clear winner. It fit her hands perfectly, didnt experience any jams or malfunctions (as a lot of others did), and she was very accurate with it despite being a new shooter still.

It was a fantastic date and i never realized how true the "let your wife pick her gun" thing was. Its a real testiment to me of individuality and the need to find that sweet spot between gun and shooter. I couldve picked 50 guns before id have thought of the P2000sk, but my buddy at the range was VERY good at giving my wife advice, giving us guns to try, knowing what might work and how to respond to what didnt, etc. I went away extremely impressed and grateful, and excited to have my best friend and wife getting involved in my hobby and excited about shooting with me!

I found a decent deal on a P2000sk and bought it for her, when it comes in and we find a holster for her, ill go thru some basics then I'll try to get us into a basic class of some kind to help her confidence.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Well done Porter! That is the best way to do it. Cool
Having a buddy at the range that gives solid advice is GOLD. Kudos to him also.

I suspect the holster search will be harder than the gun search...at least it has been for my wife.
All because of her fashion choices. Belt? Oh God no! She prefers off body carry, (which I hate). The wife's choices in purses since though have been geared toward how the gun is going to be positioned, so at least there's that.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. Now that's a date a guy can appreciate... Wink

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Nice work and excellent selection in the Hk P2000sk. Good timing too, as the P2000sk's are finally coming down in price, hope you got a good deal.

So, v3 or LEM?

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P2000sk is currently my favorite carry. Mine is in 40/357 and I'm looking for a 9mm version to fit the same holsters.

Anyway, what pistols did you experience malfunctions on and what types of malfunctions?

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a fun date Smile

I wish my wife would become interested in shooting. Alas: Doesn't appear it's gonna happen. At least it's gotten so that she can appreciate that I love it. I'll take the partial win.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, v3 or LEM?

She went with the V3.

The range has an unlimited rental+100 rounds for $45 deal. So The guy at the range suggested she shoot 3 to 5 rounds thru each gun, then at the end of trying guns, go back and focus on the few you liked and decide from there. In the end she shot the first 50 through all the guns at 3 or so each. Then tried the G43 and P2000sk again. 10 rounds thru the G43 and decided it was the P2000sk she wanted. So for tge last 40 rounds, i went over the Da/sa trigger with her. I had her shoot it from Da with a couple Sa shots after. Our targets were only 8.5x11 paper targets the range gave us (since i forgot my targets) but even with the Da/Sa she never missed the paper. We couldnt say that about all the guns either (lc9).

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thats great. Looks like time well spent.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:

So, v3 or LEM?

She went with the V3.

The range has an unlimited rental+100 rounds for $45 deal. So The guy at the range suggested she shoot 3 to 5 rounds thru each gun, then at the end of trying guns, go back and focus on the few you liked and decide from there. In the end she shot the first 50 through all the guns at 3 or so each. Then tried the G43 and P2000sk again. 10 rounds thru the G43 and decided it was the P2000sk she wanted. So for tge last 40 rounds, i went over the Da/sa trigger with her. I had her shoot it from Da with a couple Sa shots after. Our targets were only 8.5x11 paper targets the range gave us (since i forgot my targets) but even with the Da/Sa she never missed the paper. We couldnt say that about all the guns either (lc9).

Kudos to you and your Range Master/LGS. You all clearly did a nice job orienting her with that program. And congrats to her...she picked a fine weapon right out of the gate.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She has great taste!! Can't go wrong with an Hk. Congrats to you bothSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Keeper!

She got any sisters?

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Great choice. P2000 series of guns seem to fly under the radar a lot but they are awesome guns.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearverine:
Keeper!

She got any sisters?

Two, but both unavailable. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
Great choice. P2000 series of guns seem to fly under the radar a lot but they are awesome guns.

I agree. I had the HK USPc in 9mm and wanted to love it so much but it always shot low for me - yet with the P2000's adjustable backstrap, the problem was nonexistant. I love my P2000.