SIGforum
P220-Revisited

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8300064474

September 11, 2020, 10:17 AM
P220-Revisited
A lifetime ago I had a significant relationship with a pair of “Rail-less” ladies. Employment change caused the relationship to end all too soon... As such I divested, of all things 45ACP. I recently re acquired a rail-less lady. Unfortunately it does not seem to reliably feed the current production 8 or 10 round mags. The seven rounders that I have run all day... If I load a round from the 8’s top it off and re-insert the mag, then make big noise, it will not load the top round in the 8rd mag. Strip 1 round out of the 8rd mag, it seems to run fine.

Has anyone else had the same experience? If so is there a solution?

I just love this old girl and want to feed her appropriately.

Thanks

Drew

Edited to add: I read here far more than I post. It is difficult for me to share. I do recognize the resource that this forum is and appreciate any help.
September 11, 2020, 10:25 AM
Watergoat
What magazines are you using? What bullet shape?
September 11, 2020, 11:12 AM
My apologies.. All are sig factory mags.
September 11, 2020, 11:23 AM
sns3guppy
Are these factory rounds, or reloads, and what bullet profile is being used (semi-wadcutter, conical/tapered, round ogive, etc? Bullet weight?

It sounds like they're new magazines with a lot of spring tension. I'd suggest letting them sit loaded for a week or two, then trying again.

If the pistol lubricated?

From the description, there's sufficient friction from the loaded magazine pressing up on the underside of the slide, and perhaps other sources (lubrication, etc), that the cartridges aren't cycling. If these are light loads, it may also explain it.

If the magazine springs feel stiff when loading the magazines, and they're new magazines, you might try just leaving them loaded. Some will say this makes no difference, but it does. The spring will relax a little after staying compressed. After that, cycles, using the magazines, will help.

These are P220 .45 mags?
September 11, 2020, 12:58 PM
Snake207
Might also want to check and see if the springs in the mags are installed correctly.

September 11, 2020, 01:29 PM
sigfreund
I don’t have much experience with the 10 round magazines, but do the 8-round mags have the plastic floor plate? (I would assume so, but gotta ask.) Also, what ammunition?

Otherwise all I can think of is asking if the springs are installed correctly and if you have a standard factory recoil spring (green paint). My agency issued P220s for many years, including a good number without accessory rails, and they never had problems with 7- or 8-round magazines except for the few that had seven round tubes with the short-lived modified follower that was intended to let them accept eight rounds.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 11, 2020, 04:03 PM
Bulldog7972
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Are these factory rounds, or reloads, and what bullet profile is being used (semi-wadcutter, conical/tapered, round ogive, etc? Bullet weight?

It sounds like they're new magazines with a lot of spring tension. I'd suggest letting them sit loaded for a week or two, then trying again.

If the pistol lubricated?

From the description, there's sufficient friction from the loaded magazine pressing up on the underside of the slide, and perhaps other sources (lubrication, etc), that the cartridges aren't cycling. If these are light loads, it may also explain it.

If the magazine springs feel stiff when loading the magazines, and they're new magazines, you might try just leaving them loaded. Some will say this makes no difference, but it does. The spring will relax a little after staying compressed. After that, cycles, using the magazines, will help.

These are P220 .45 mags?

I bought an older 220 from a member here and had the same problem. I loaded all the mags up and let them sit for a few weeks and that solved the problem. Mine also didn't want to seat the mag properly which leads me to believe it's the mag spring being too tight as you said. The gun is fine now and is my edc.
September 12, 2020, 08:02 AM
All mags are indeed factory. All ammunition was also factory. Both ball and HP. Initial rounds were Winchester RA45T and then Speer GD. I swapped to ball and still no go. Mags are indeed brand new. I just disassembled 8 of the 10 mags that I purchased (not certain where I stashed the other 2) and they all appear assembled correctly. Weapon is indeed lubed. It was my first outing after receiving it back from Sig. As this girl had been courted by another, I sent her in for the Sig Service Plan to be re sprung. I will load all the mags up and give them some time. I hope this works as it is extremely difficult to find 7rd mags. I appreciate you all taking time out of your day to respond to my post.
September 12, 2020, 08:08 AM
Ooops missed a question. Sorry, I can’t figure out how to edit a posting.... Yes all mags have the plastic Base plate.