Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PPS M2 LE Login/Join 
posted
From the "It followed me home. Really, I swear!" department:

I went into the range Saturday and happened upon a used PPS M2 LE in the case. I've been thinking for a bit that it would be useful to have something in that tiny form factor for when a G19 or PPQ (or even a G26 or VPSK) really is too large.

So, I compared side-by-side with the Glock 43, PPS M2, and Shield 9mm. The trigger on the PPS wins hands down. It's not QUITE as good as my PPQ M2 trigger, but it's quite nice. I really wasn't a fan of how the Glock felt in my hand. Though it felt a bit better with the extended mag than the PPS M2 with a flush mag, that extended mag didn't buy me anything in contrast to the 7- and 8-round mags with the PPS M2. It feels like a PPQ in my hand; the ergos are amazing.

The targets when I met with friends after the purchase were already full of holes, so I don't quite know where I was hitting exactly, but with range ammo, it felt downright comfortable to shoot in 9mm.

I'll try to remember to snap some pics when I'm home.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same side-by-side with the glock 43 as well. The PPS was just so much more comfortable in my hand. I have the flush mag for CC and 2 - 8rnders for backup. I carry around the house in a Remora with the extended mags.
There are a few complaints out there about barrel wear but mine has no problem.

I also have the PPQ 5" in 9mm. Walther has really impressed me with the PPQ & PPS. Now if they'd make the PPQ .45 with an extended barrel!

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my PPQ M2 Navy as well. I wish safariland made a light-compatible version of their 7TS holsters for it.

What surprised me most was how much I disliked the Shield compared to the PPS M2 after hearing the population at large LOVE the 9mm Shield.

No less comfortable to shoot than a G26 for sure. And a metric fuckton more comfortable to shoot than any .40 or 357SIG smaller than a G32.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The trigger on my M2 sucks; evidently it never made it through Walther Trigger Finishing School like so many other M2s that have come through our shop. 7+1 would be my ideal configuration for CC; the balance of the gun just seems as good as it's going to get. I like its physical size and the substantive feel of the gun over that of my G43 yet I shoot the Glock better, primarily because of the sucky Walther trigger. So my PPS just resides in the safe, though for that matter so does my G43. For myself neither gun has been good or convincing enough to displace a G19 for the day when my G23 and 40S&W is retired...whenever that date may be.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, I really like my PPS M2 LE too. Favorite single stack 9 that I've ever tried and the only one I liked enough to buy. I was surprised how good the flush fit mag works and feels. I usually hate a "pinky under" grip but this one works pretty well for me - though the 7-round is a little more controllable of course.

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I very much like my PPS M1. Very versatile little package.

The M2 feels a little better but I prefer the paddle mag release.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I very much like my PPS M1. Very versatile little package.

The M2 feels a little better but I prefer the paddle mag release.

Bought a Classic in 2015, when the M2 was announced; I'd always sorta wanted the blocky little bastard and was shooting and carrying P2000SKs at the time, so the paddle mag release was a plus. And what a great shooting, skinny little 9 she was/is.

Alas, I decided I wanted to go striker for everything I carry (consistency of trigger on all shots) and rather than stay with HK and get a VP9 (they didn't have .357 barrels, or even .40s at the time), I moved to P320. Very happy with my 9 and .357 320 Compacts.

But now I had button mag release, and every session I shot both the PPS M1 and the P320, I'd screw up the mag release under pressure when switching back and forth between guns.

So I (somewhat reluctantly) put the M1 in the safe and bought an M2.

Oh my...

This is everything I liked about the Classic, and better ergos (for me) and the don't-have-to-think-about-it mag release and no more back-of-grip safety thing that everybody hates.

My just retired HPD cop brother likes shooting it so much he just bought one for his EDC. His favorite feature? The little LCI pin at the back of the slide that can be held down with thumb pressure when reholstering, just like the hammer on his duty 226 all those years.

It is remarkable that you can put your thumb over that tiny little peg and try to squeeze off a round with everything your trigger-finger's got and not get the gun to go bang.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've handled one and liked it - but this is the second or third time I've seen a comment about barrel wear. Is the barrel poorly finished on some - or are they showing an unusual amount of wear? I saw someplace - but can't find - some comments and a photo about the PPS M2 barrels showing some peening someplace after use ...

Edited to add: I found the picture I was referring to - from Lucky Gunner's review:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I also did a side by side comparison between the Shield, G43, Springfield XDS and Walther PPS M2. It was more comfortable and more accurate than the others. I carried it a lot this summer, and everytime I take it to the range I'm impressed by it's accuracy even at 25 yards. I shot my G43 last week for the first time in a long while, and its nice with the pyramid trigger, but it doesn't beat the Walther.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
I've handled one and liked it - but this is the second or third time I've seen a comment about barrel wear. Is the barrel poorly finished on some - or are they showing an unusual amount of wear? I saw someplace - but can't find - some comments and a photo about the PPS M2 barrels showing some peening someplace after use ...

The barrel problems came to light with the PPQ 45 (peening/chipping/pitting/excess rifling wear and etching), then reports of the same kinds of issues were coming out about the PPS M2 barrels as well. From what I've read it seems like the owners who've had their barrels FINALLY replaced by Walther (their CS performance--or lack thereof--only exacerbated the issue) are not seeing the same problems the second time around. Hopefully Walther has their steel issues remedied and this bodes well for subsequent production runs of the two models.

I've not seen the issue with my PPS M2 which was purchased about the time that the barrel problems had hit the web, but frankly it still has a relatively light round count.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:

The barrel problems came to light with the PPQ 45 (peening/chipping/pitting/excess rifling wear and etching), then reports of the same kinds of issues were coming out about the PPS M2 barrels as well. From what I've read it seems like the owners who've had their barrels FINALLY replaced by Walther (their CS performance--or lack thereof--only exacerbated the issue) are not seeing the same problems the second time around.

I don't think he's talking about the bore pitting/flaking/whatever problems, but this: PPS M2 Barrel Peened near feed ramp?

quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I've not seen the issue with my PPS M2 which was purchased about the time that the barrel problems had hit the web, but frankly it still has a relatively light round count.

Same here on both counts.

I'm hoping I experience neither of those problems, because I just love my PPS M2, but I won't be buying any more Walther product after what I've seen experienced by others.

Too bad. They were set to get my business for a full-size .45 ACP pistol. Sig got the business, instead.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I own three Walthers; a PPk .380, a CCP, a PPS M2, and most recently acquired a PPQ M2 .45 ACP. The .380 is almost 30 years old, but an excellent shooter even if the design is somewhat outdated.

The CCP is a comfortable shooter, but the takedown procedures are a nightmare and I've had to ship it back to Walther for repairs or updates twice. I'd never recommend this design to anyone and I wouldn't be surprised to see Walther discontinue sales in the near future.

The PPQ .45 is a nice shooter and I love the trigger on it, but it seems noticeably "snappier" than other .45 ACP pistols that I own. I'll have to give it some time to see how much I like this big pistol for carry.

The PPS M2 is (IMHO) the best pistol of its kind. Its extremely flat and easy to carry in an IWB holster, supremely accurate with a fantastic trigger, and its demonstrated flawless reliability. Virtually every round I've cycled through it has fed, fired, and ejected without a bobble.

I did two things which made slight improvements to the pistol that I appreciated. I replaced the factory (white) sights with a set of Trijicon HDs (orange front), and I applied Talon rubber grip tape. The tape isn't too thick, but it adds just enough to the extremely thin grips as to make them fit perfectly in my hands. So far, they've been pretty secure too. If they wear out and come off in a few months, I'll probably buy another set anyway as they're worth the small price to pay. I really can't say enough good things about this pistol. Walther hit it out of the park with it!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Congrats OP! Smile That PPS is a fine nine. It is the best selling pistol atvthe shop I work part-time in.

People come in and try the shield, then the LC9 and the G43. Then I put the LE PPS M2 in their hand. SOLD!

If I didnt own a CS9 and a 3914, I would own the PPS. Finest 9mm carry out there. IMHO of course.

And with the savings from not having to rebuild the gun with Apex parts, you can buy ammo! Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, the Walther pistols have the tennifer finish for hardness and corrosion resistance. Great for areas like here in Florida.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post