SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need some input or direction on a tool for installing sights on a Sphinx SDP.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some input or direction on a tool for installing sights on a Sphinx SDP. Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted
I bought a set of Meprolight Nights Sights and began with hammer and punch and made no progress. I’d really like to install these by myself if possible. Anyone have a sight press that will work?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never use a hammer and punch to install night sights.. it’s too easy to rupture the tritium vials and kill the sight. I had A set of brand new Trijicon HD’s installed at a well known gun store in my area and they killed my front sight.
Assholes denied it even though I heard him beating the shit out of it.. end of the day I had to send the slide off to Trijicon and spent another 70 on my 130 dollar night sights and waited a month and a half to get my only carry gun at the time back.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
MGW Rangemaster. Built like a tank. Black Friday is coming up if there aren’t any deals currently. Overkill if you’re only going to use it for one gun but if you like to tinker and try different sights and have multiple pistols, then it’s something to consider.

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The general consensus among sight tools is:

1. Maryland Gun Works ~$300 - the older models were specific to platforms (e.g., Glock, Sig Classic P-series, 1911, etc). They have been replaced by the MGW Sight Pro SP1000, which is more or less universal; however, you may have to buy different shaped shoes to work w/ your pistol. The Sight Pro is expensive; you will need to use it many times to get your money's worth out of it.

2. Wheeler Engineering Sight Tool ~$130 - it's an excellent and sturdy alternative to the MGW at less than half the price.

3. DD Machine Sight-Tool Universal Pusher $65 - simple, sturdy design. It's made by a garage machinist in WA. He also makes some less expensive models that look like they were made out of scrap metal and discarded fasteners. IMO, this model is the best performance-to-cost value. It doesn't cost that much more than his cheaper models or a NCStar. I have the Amazon link below, but DD Machine (aka, 4X4machineshop) sells it directly to the public on ebay for $65 shipped, which is half the price of the Wheeler.

https://www.amazon.com/Univers...others/dp/B016R4DXJW

If you couldn't tell, I ended up getting the Sight-Tool Universal. Saving $25 on an alternative like the NCStar isn't worth it if it messes up my gun or sights or the tool itself breaks.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’d call up Cajun Gun works and mail the slide. Those are guys are solid and have worked in SDP’s extensively. I can’t speak publicly about this but I have more information if you need it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I have one of the early MGW Sig P series pushers and it’s a dream to use but was pricey. Both the Wheeler and the DD Machine have me looking. I too am tempted by the DD with my only concern being the hex wrench stripping on a tight sight.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post