SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Back to grease!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to grease!!! Login/Join 
posted
Many new P frame sigs over the years. Always came with TW25 grease. And I used it. Read Florks input.
THEN they started to come with that Lucas oil. Tried it, not impressed.
New 320 X5 Legion came. Wow! Instead of being dipped in oil, it had grease! SPEC1, which I see is basically Slip 2000 oil/grease.
Sound decision.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite claims of superiority, most lubes are as good as the other. I've tried most over the years and never noticed much of a differrence.

Sig probably uses what's cheapest or gives them a better sponsorship.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
*shrug*

Both grease and oil have their place on guns. It's not either/or.

Oil is better for short term external protection for guns that are in use, and lubrication of small/tight areas.

Grease is better for long term external protection for guns in storage, and lubrication of larger/open areas.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The general rule is that if it's a sliding surface, use grease.

If it's a rotating surface, use oil.

There is no magic grease or oil to use. If it has the word "gun" in it, that's fine. (There are also plenty of other greases and oils that work well on firearms, but that is a whole 'nuther discussion.)

Posts: 17 | Registered: December 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Jeff:
The general rule is that if it's a sliding surface, use grease.

If it's a rotating surface, use oil.

Simply, no.

Two contacting surfaces, are contacting. Lubricate them.

The main difference between grease and oil is their tendency to migrate at a given temperature.

I use a tub of white lithium from Auto Zone for all of my guns. ALL.

Lubrication is not a great mystery, Flork was overkill.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
White lithium grease for the win. I bought a $5 tub of it years ago for just such a purpose as Arc’s: all lubrication of my firearms. It will outlive me. For the things in life that specifically require oil, RemOil will do until I can find a cheaper replacement. I’ve used 3-in-1oil as well. Need be no more complicated than that.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Both grease and oil have their place on guns. It's not either/or.

I agree with Rogue here.

Both have their strong points and weak points. I wipe down metal surfaces with a quality gun oil, ( based on decades of personal and industry experience, I can't include rem-oil, or the flash in the pan/wonder lubes from frogs and crisco Wink ) for basic rust protection and grease for moving/metal to metal surfaces.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lubriplate , a tub will last a lifetime

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use oil on every gun and the owners manual of most all of my guns say to use oil. I have no abnormal wear or any lubrication issues on any of my guns and many of them have a good amount of rounds through them.

That being said, on a SIG with an anodized frame, SIG recommends grease and they need grease due to the dissimilar metals. That would be my exception and I'd use grease on the frame rails etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I use grease (Slip2000 EWG) for all of my pistol rails. Even for my Beretta 87 Target, although most folks use oil for .22LR pistols. Cycles perfectly, even though my ammo is Aquila Pistol Match, which is at the low end of standard velocity.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post