SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any 1911 owners out there use VZ Grips?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 1911 owners out there use VZ Grips? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
The SR1911CMD-A is gorgeous, but I do want to lose the stock grips. I'm looking primarily at something black from VZ Grips, but I've read a complaint or two that unless you use some of their bushings/o-rings, the grip screws tend to come out.

Is this true?

And are there any other interesting grip panels out there?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got several sets of VZs on 1911s. I use their screws and o-rings. No issues.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have them on a full-size Kimber with a magwell. I use Hogue hex head stainless steel grip screws and have not had any issues.

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
VZ Operators II, hyena brown on my Springer RO with Radiation II Blackwqsh screws.

I went with their o-rings and screws because the screws I got were cool looking, and they recommended the o-rings. For a couple extra bucks for the things, on a $65 set of grips, chump change.

FWIW I have not had a problem with them. They look good, are rugged, and perform their duty flawlessly (keep gun in hand).

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
MNSIG....any one of them better for CCW than others?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I've used the ETC Frags in the past and absolutely loved them for carry. The frag pattern feels smooth however when you apply any sort of pressure they flat out grip. The operators are a little too rough for carry IMO.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Love them. I use the Double Diamonds. They have the classic "1911" look, but the G10 allows for sharper checkering and they seem to be fairly indestructable. I use the O rings on my full size 1911, but I put a set on my Commander recently without using any. No problems with either set loosening up.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I have Operator II's on my Valor and CCO. They are aggressive and I like it that way.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of VZ grips. I like the frag pattern best. Never had an issue with the screws coming out. My main carry guns all wear them.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeing some of their patterns for my M45-A1. Strictly on aesthetics I having a tough time liking the appearance of the factory G10 panels that came with the Colt. What few reviews that I've found on VZ 1911 grips have been quite favorable...and at least some look quite a bit better.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Love VZ grips and they worked well on my Colt 1911 but I had read about the bushings and their screws ahead of my purchase and bought/installed both to be safe so my input is probably worthless other than to say I love 'em.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Love them. I use the Double Diamonds. They have the classic "1911" look, but the G10 allows for sharper checkering and they seem to be fairly indestructable. I use the O rings on my full size 1911, but I put a set on my Commander recently without using any. No problems with either set loosening up.

Same thing, on two Springfield Range Officers (9mm and .45). They look and feel great.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
Blue Loctite.

Little dab'll do ya.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
So far no issue with the VZ 320 Tiger Stripes on my Kimber using the Kimber hex screws without o-rings. If I wind up needing them however I will simply buy them as I like the grips too much to stop using them.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I LOVE these grips!! Perfect fit, great designs, just the right amount of texture. I don't always use o-rings, it depends on the Pistola!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 sets for a 9mm and .45. Both are the slimmer model with notch cut for the mag release. I could not be happier with them.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
MNSIG....any one of them better for CCW than others?

I don't actually CC my 1911s, so hard to say. The texture can be pretty aggressive, so I'd imagine tough on clothes. On the other hand, a few swipes of 220 sandpaper will knock the tips off the texture very easily.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Aliens & a set of Operator IIs on my Springfields. They're pretty aggressive, which is what I wanted for those particular guns. I kept the SA bushings, but used the VZ o-rings & straight slot screws.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson CCO with VZ double-diamonds in black cherry. Love how these grips are working out. I have had to do a little grip-screw-tightening at the range every 200 rounds or so - not bad, but I may check into O-rings.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have several sets on full size and on a commander. Get the o-rings and hex screws. Saves a bit of aggravation. If they are too rough just a few passes of 320 grit sand paper will improve things.And if you want to file/cut a custom thumb notch to reach the mag release it is very easy to do and some new colors may appear. Best value in 1911 grips on the market!

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post