SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Steyr Presents the MF Torture Test
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr Presents the MF Torture Test Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
And I thought shooting bowling pins was fun. Smile

"Submerged in water, dry ice, sand, mud, run over by the full weight of a Jeep, & dropped from a helicopter: We tested the new Steyr A2 MF Pistol. Now it's your turn."

The Steyr Arms MF Pistol Torture Test
•Aug 14, 2019

https://youtu.be/X1fPsk8jEzM

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to try one of these. In spite of that video. Lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Fugly.....

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Anyone else think it’s a bit fishy how they only showed one successfully fired shot after both the sand and the mud tests, after shooting multiple rounds in the other tests? Looks like some strategic video editing to me...

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Probably very comfortable in the hand.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does look very ergonomic and comfortable. It was definitely edited poorly because one guy shot the gun, threw it to next guy who had to rack the slide. It was pure, badly filmed fluff. At least the Aimpoint video you actually watched it get tossed from the helicopter not implied that it was tossed from a helicopter.

I stand by my first post, I’d like to try this gun in spite of that retarded video.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the video was clearly intended to be a play on a popular viral video style of people doing things in different places and linked together. It wasn't done properly of course but it's still a nice gun.

A buddy just got a Steyr in and I think it was this one because he was excited to get it meaning it was a new model. I checked it out...nice indeed.

does it have the cool trapezoid sights? they're nifty

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ringo: "Which gun is yours"

Jules: "The one that says Steyr A2 Mother Fucker"

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Steyr pistols are one of the few guns I have never got around to actually shooting. They felt FANTASTIC in the hand though and I actually dug the weird trapezoidal sights.

This version looks just as comfy.

Seems like they have generally been one of those excellent, yet under the radar guns.

As striker fired plastic guns go I don’t think it looks too bad at all.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
My Steyr is the only striker-fired (or polymer for that matter) defense pistol I own and wish all my HD firearms had trapezoidal sights. I'm glad they updated the grip, as the new undercut trigger guard and very modest beavertail have nearly perfected the pistol. However, I still wish they would make the frame in aluminum and ditch the rail while they're at it.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased one myself. I happened upon the M9 version of the A2MF, which has a slightly shorter barrel than the photo para posted. It’s about like a Glock 45 in size. I wasn’t particularly interested in the L9 version but the M9 was perfect for my taste.

They made some design choices I wasn’t particularly fond of, I really don’t like how they left a gap between the front face of the trigger guard and the rail. It just looks weird to me and I really don’t like the hole-dot they molded into the trigger guard, makes it look cheap compared to the A1 versions.

This wasn’t my first Steyr pistol, I have the original versions of the M357 and S9, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. This new A2 version is absolutely fantastic in the hand. It’s up there with the P30 in comfort. Great traction and instinctively points on target. It has a steep grip angle, so 1911 folks would take some adjustment to get used to it. It has the Steyr trap sights and I hear conventional sights are available.

It’s definitely not Glock like. Whereas I see the Glock as essentially a handgun version of an AK in terms of their simplicity and slide/barrel/frame lockup. The Steyr OTOH, is the pistol you expect from a company famous for their sniper rifles. That is to say, the slide tracks on the rails about like a P210 in that there’s not a hint of play. If you lower the slide slowly by hand it will slightly hesitate before going completely into battery and in full lockup, it’s as if the entire pistol is one solid piece.

The fit was so tight, I was actually worried it might adversely affect reliability.

So, I decided my own torture test was in order. I ran 50rnds of Fiocchi 124gr FMJ through it. Yes, it was a torture test... For me, not the gun. The torture was not shooting more ammo through it. It ran like a top, recoil was extremely mild. The trap sights are precise and allowed me to easily print silver dollar sized groups at 10yds. The trigger I struggled with. It’s NOT Glock like.

The pull weight is notably lighter and the wall is therefore less distinct. The reset is unfortunately nearly imperceptible. That’s the part I struggled with as I tend to ride the reset and I really missed that snap reset I get with a Glock. That being said, the Steyr’s reset is very short and I really think over time I’ll get used to it. It’s a good thing, I didn’t take my whole stock of 9MM with me, or I’d have shot it all. I was having that much fun. Another thing about the Steyr trigger. The trigger safety is more of a plunger you press into the face of the trigger. I find it far more comfortable than Glocks scissor type safety because on the Steyr it presses flat into the trigger instead of slightly protruding like a Glock.

So, I’d say the Steyr is a great gun, but it is a different animal entirely. I can say I’m really glad I found it.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I’d really like to try one of these. I have the L9A1 and it’s one of my favorite guns. Reset is different but I’ve gotten used to it. The gun is solid and I can print nice groups with it. The trap sights work for me. I think some people overthink the sights and struggle a bit. Very soft shooter. The top of the slide reminds me of a carrier deck...but I would never sell this gun as it is a joy to hold and shoot.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sure it looks like was designed by H.R. Giger, but so what.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have the S9A1 which is about the same size as a Glock 26. And it's easily my most accurate striker fired sub compact/compact gun. I'm not sure if I bring out the best in the gun, or if the gun brings out the best in me.

As for the "Trapezoidal Sights" ... some love em. Some hate em. I like em a lot but wish they offered a night sight version.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I'm intrigued by the 45 degree grip angle. Big Grin

I've always heard good things about Steyr Pistols but never gave them a chance.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That grip looks comfortable. It seems the web of your shooting hand is up pretty close to the bore.

I expect it is a flat shooting gun for it's weight.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an M9-A2 last week, haven't been able to shoot it yet but feels fantastic. Build like a tank and oozes quality.

Anyone know how to remove the trigger assembly from the frame?

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

It was actually designed by Glock's former chief engineer, the one Herr Glock originally had that helped him build the G17 & G19.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Ringo: "Which gun is yours"
Jules: "The one that says Steyr A2 Mother Fucker"

Big Grin
I can neither confirm nor deny the CFO may have been presented with a real leather Pulp Fiction wallet from two of his friends. And that he occasionally uses it as a business card holder. Wink

I can also neither confirm nor deny that "Modular Frame" moniker ( Wink ) went over some Austrians heads for a loooong time. Big Grin

I was lucky enough to have access to the Prototype A2 and put a few rounds through it.
Yes, it's incredible comfortable in the hand and with 147gr bullets, is crazy flat shooting.
As soon as I shot it I knew I had to have one.
I'm on the fence about the trapezoidal sights. Need more trigger time, but seemed easier to use than I remember.
It also has a semi-flared magwell similar to the Gen5 Glocks which is awesome.

What else...I think a push was in the works for trap night sights, but I think there was a regulatory issue.
EDIT TO ADD:
Trijicon has looked into it, but the word is tritium works better in vials/circles, not triangles. To have one big triangle vial full of a radioactive isotope is probably not a good thing. Wink
I think Austria had/has a solution, but Steyr USA ran into an issue importing it. Guess the US isn't big on importing radioactive stuff either. Big Grin
Phosphorescent sights might be an option in the interim....

And I believe you remove the FCU similar to the 320, just remove the TDL.

Overall, it's a great pistol and Steyr is working hard with A LOT of companies to overcome the lack of holsters/aftermarket accessories/etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snake207,

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
All those different levels of checkering remind me of a four sided cheese grater.
A couple of hundred rounds in a day would be tough on the hands for most people.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post