SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone using Barsto barrels?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using Barsto barrels? Login/Join 
posted
I have no problem with Sig barrels but ever since I put a KKM barrel in my Glock 20 G4 I really like the idea of an after-market barrel.

Yes, I know there are two schools of thought, one of which believes there to be minimal difference. That's OK, but I was just wondering what other;s may have experienced.

I have a Sig 229 SAS Gen 2 in 357 sig, which is what I am contemplating.

Thanks,

P

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you post this in "Sig Pistols".

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barsto makes some good barrels. I believe the Ruger P90 came with one from the factory or it was deigned by him and it was amazingly accurate. I haven't had one since but I only hear good things about them.

Posts: 6873 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Barsto barrels are good to go.

If I need to replace a Sig barrel it will be with a Barsto.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Barsto are good barrels. The chambers are pretty tight, if you are a reloader. That is my only complaint, of it's not a perfect round, the barsto will hang up.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If you are contemplating purchase of a replacement barrel in the hope of greater accuracy, I would say save your money. If you are contemplating purchase of a conversion barrel, then proceed.

I am not knocking Bar-Sto barrels, I own one. It is just that most of us will not see any noticeable benefit. You aren't shooting bulls-eye targets are you?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 or 3 KKM barrels, 2 were conversions. One was a replacement barrel for a G23, it made quite an improvement imo. Bar Sto barrels are at least equal to KKM in quality.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
In the early 80's I purchased a replacement barrel for my first 1911 from Bar-Sto. I had to send the barrel back with the slide, so they could hand fit it.

No doubt it is a beautifully made barrel. I wish I could say it made the gun more accurate, but I am only capable of so much apparently.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Like P-220, I don't know that they are more accurate than OEM as they all seem to exceed my aging capabilities. Smile

I have a 9mm Olympic Arms in my Hi-Power MKIII, a 45 ACP Bar-Sto in my Colt 1911 MkIV, and Accu-Match and Storm Lake extra 1911 barrels in 400 Cor-Bon for a couple of my 1911s.

Bottom line is that all, including the Bar-Sto, provide great functionality / accuracy in the handguns they're fitted to.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a Bar-Sto, I would want it custom fitted, as opposed to "drop in" fit.
I think this would be the best way to exploit the greater accuracy a Bar-Sto would offer.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gray did a Bar-Sto 9 mm conversion for me for a P229; IIRC the extractor had to be changed. Also, it took quite a while to have it delivered (Bar-Sto's delay in this case). It was a custom-fit, IIRC.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Very happy with Bar-Sto barrels. Wish I could shoot well enough to see the difference... Smile

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
See my signature.

Never had a problem. Would not hesitate to carry the custom fit but might hesitate on the drop in, although never had a problem with it. I also had a drop in 9 for a P239 in 40/357. No problem with it.

And agree I'd go with SIG for a replacement, BarSto for conversion.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Barsto is the go to barrel for 45 ACP fmj loads. I've also used one of their drop in conversion barrels in a P229. They make good stuff.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in a Springfield XD (fitted by their Custom Shop) that did better groups than the stock barrel. It was more consistent with different loads. However, it's worth repeating that the fit of the barrel is arguably more important than the other stuff. A stock barrel refit is better than a match barrel poorly installed.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Bar-Sto is great but timelines can be problematic if its not a stocked item. Sometimes, it can take a year to get as they don't make to order.

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barsto have been good to me; primarily great results with a BHP 40 cal conversion to 9mm. The product was reliable and accurate. Customer service rep, when ordering, was awesome and informative. Delivery was quick, well executed on their part.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I agree BarSto service is superb.

I ordered a drop in for my 224 when they first became available. When it was received, no way would it drop in. So I sent the gun to BarSto for fitting thinking I was one of the rare drop in fit problems.

Upon receipt they advised the problem was wrong dimensions received from Sig. They offered to use my gun for dimensions, provide me with a custom fit and pay for all shipping. I agreed.

So for the price of a drop in I got a custom fit with no shipping cost.

Now this did take about 3 months, but was worth the wait

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've used a few, beginning in the 1970s in 1911s and FN/Browning Hi Powers. I've experienced good, and not so good, luck with Barsto barrels. I still have one Barsto barrel that is fine, but they are no longer my first choice....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I bought a 9mm conversion barrel for an older P229 .40. It dropped right in, and the gun runs great in 9mm with the .40 springs and mags. The gun shoots a nice ragged hole at 10 yards with both the factory barrel and the Barsto barrel, so I'm not sure which is more accurate. The one issue I've had is that I've had to rework some of my 9mm reloads to a shorter OAL to accommodate the very short throat of the Barsto barrel.

Overall, I've been very happy with it, and am happy I bought it.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post