SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG-Sauer Faith
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
SIG-Sauer Faith Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A DA investigator here bought a new gun and holster, hung it on his belt and went about his business. It was three weeks before he got around to trying it out. Emphasis on "trying," it didn't work. At all.

Well, it was a Walther, surely your Sig is better. Isn't it?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a used P 225 and took it to IDPA matches. It worked fine at first but then became highly unreliable. A new set of springs fixed things.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it. I will carry on some of my pistols after 50 rounds if absolutely no issues depending on the gun, Sigs, Glocks, etc

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Trust the gun? How about trusting yourself with the gun? Would you go hunting with a rifle you never fired? Would you race a car you had never driven before?

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Carry or not, how do you not hustle down to the range to try out a new (to you) West German SIG? Those things can be an absolute buzz to shoot!

I know... right?

Problem is primarily my health issues. Lately it never fails that on days I can go to the range, I feel too bad to even leave the house!

It will get tested out soon... like within the next week or two.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
<<snip>>
The older p6/225 did have the feed ramp angle issue that would cause feeding issues with some hollow point ammo.

<<snip>>

This is a 1988 model... built after the feed ramp angle was changed, so I'm not concerned about that.

Racking the slide quickly by hand produces perfectly fed and ejected cartridges 100% of the time, no matter what ammo is loaded, and the pencil in the barrel test shows the firing pin functions just fine as it'll launch a pencil clear out of the barrel.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
You are not an idiot. You are no more of a risk taker than an unarmed person.

I would argue you are more at risk. Unarmed you roll the dice that an attacker or mugger etc. do not see you as a threat and therefore do not ratchet up an attack.

Should you deploy a weapon and have it fail the conflict has been brought to a new level and may force your opponent into a deadly reaction.

As to carrying an untested weapon, nope. Some of the BEST guns I own still needed a good cleaning and a box of ammo through them to smooth them out and give them a little break in.

I am not a “you need to run 5000 rounds of your carry ammo through your gun before it is trustworthy” but I do want to know it will run topped off with a full new mag as well as knowing it will run my carry ammo of choice with 20-50 rounds minimum.

Something as simple as a sight loose in a dovetail may show up when the gun heats up / vibrates a bit.

I won't bother responding to every post here, especially those filled with snarkasm, but I will tackle yours...

The pistol has been function-tested by racking full mags of rounds through it, without the slightest hiccup. The gun has been cleaned and lubed, and the firing pin tested with a pencil down the barrel (it launched the pencil well clear of the muzzle). I have zero doubt it will fire at least the chambered round, and practically zero doubt it will continue to do so for the entire magazine. All mags have nice, strong springs and minimal wear, so no doubt about those either.

Regarding the sights... no way in hell they're coming off or moving while firing! They're brand new night sights I installed myself, and the base of both sights had to be honed a good bit to even get them started in the dovetail. They are easily much tighter fitting than the stock sights!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I would rather trust a factory new gun of pretty much any manufacturer before I'd trust a used gun.

Bubba loves to F up guns and then trade them in.

This one came from a respected forum member, so Bubba didn't "F" this one up and "trade it in". Had it come from the LGS, it wouldn't be carried until shot since I know how people treat their guns!

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I apologize I meant no snark in my reply just giving my personal opinion on why I wouldn’t be comfortable with a firearm that hasn’t been live fired. That said if I had no other choice I would likely run through what you have done and roll my dice.

Take care, shoot safe and apologies if I came across snarky, as strangely this is one of those rare times I was not trying to. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I apologize I meant no snark in my reply just giving my personal opinion on why I wouldn’t be comfortable with a firearm that hasn’t been live fired. That said if I had no other choice I would likely run through what you have done and roll my dice.

Take care, shoot safe and apologies if I came across snarky, as strangely this is one of those rare times I was not trying to. Smile

No worries... I didn't seen any snark in your post! That is why I chose to respond to it and ignore some of the others! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
You'll probably be fine but if you need it you're going to really need it. I'd prefer to try it out, see where it shoots and make sure it functions.

DPR

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't carry a gun I haven't test-fired in a civilian setting only because there would be no reason to do that. I can keep carrying my proven guns until I can get the new one to the range.

That said; I carried 2 un-tested guns, a P226 and an AK47 for 2 weeks outside the wire in Baghdad as a contractor. No choice, took us that time to figure out where we could shoot them and how to get training ammo.

This would never happen in the military (certainly not the Army, all soldiers qualify with any weapon they carry), but contractors have to suck it up and take more risk.

We had an RPK that we found out didn't have a firing pin!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Okay, just to let everybody know, I just got home from the range where I ran a few hundred rounds of various flavors through the P225, and as expected, it performed flawlessly with all ammo, and all magazines! It also hit exactly where it was supposed to when I did my part correctly.

While there, I also ran some more ammo through my basically new P230SL (an older W. German gun, but had never been fired when I bought it a while back), and got to try out 3 new mags that I recently purchased for it. Again, 100% flawless operation as expected!

Cheers! Big Grin

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I guess I should add... the trip was made even better by the adorable little blonde cutie shooting next to me! Big Grin

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You have to admit you must feel better. I can’t imagine there wasn’t at least a tiny little “what if” voice in your head.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have to admit you must feel better. I can’t imagine there wasn’t at least a tiny little “what if” voice in your head.

I feel much better simply because I haven’t been able to go shooting in months, plus I finally tried out Huntsville’s newest and finest indoor range.

And I can honestly say I had ZERO doubts in my mind.... none, at all. Big Grin

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bill, tell me more about the new range. I'll pay a visit next trip down when we visit our granddaughter at UAH.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

I feel much better simply because I haven’t been able to go shooting in months, plus I finally tried out Huntsville’s newest and finest indoor range.

And I can honestly say I had ZERO doubts in my mind.... none, at all. Big Grin

Glad your guns, magazines, and ammo performed as you expected...but I'm curious, if you truly had ZERO doubts, then why post this poll question in the first place? If your own experience and confidence in West German SIGs supercedes the experience and confidence of other shooters and you truly had ZERO doubt, it really shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks...wouldn't you agree?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Trusting a firearm to use for use in defense of one's life, without testing it is beyond foolish. No machine is perfect. Anything is possible. Who needs to be told this??

Posts: 107506 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post