SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 gen 5 not slide locking after last round **update**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 gen 5 not slide locking after last round **update** Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't have my Armorer's Manual handy right now, but from what I recall, there's no difference between the standard and MOS recoil springs from the factory.

If you're referring to the numbers stamped on the circular metal plate on the end of your factory recoil spring assembly, then no, that's not a spring weight.

Those are production/parts codes. They'll have either two or three digits stamped there.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rogue on the number being a production/parts code.

Just as a point of reference I have the 13 stamped RSA in my two non-MOS Gen 5 17s.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the spring marking clarifications

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before getting too far into the weeds I'd check and make sure its not your grip/thumbs riding the slide release. I go high thumbs and thats normally my issue on guns that dont lock back.

If that doesnt work then I'd make sure the slide lock lever is properly installed and sitting in its notch. Its an easy check:

Place the Glock tool on the left side of the slide stop lever, directly over the left side of the trigger pin. There must be movement on the right side of the slide stop lever when pressed with the Glock tool. This indicates the trigger pin is properly installed.

That just makes sure the trigger pin is sitting properly in the notch on the stop. Unlikely but that would be my next check if you arent riding it. Good luck

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its me. Thumbs must be riding the release. A change of grip solved the problem. The gen5 slide release much have some different dimentions/profiles.

I wish I would have got a gen4

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Its me. Thumbs must be riding the release. A change of grip solved the problem. The gen5 slide release much have some different dimentions/profiles.

I wish I would have got a gen4

Yep, the Gen5 lever tabs have a distinct outward bend to them and causing them to stick out further than previous generations.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
My g34 does the same thing. I try to keep round count while I’m Shooting (match gun) so I don’t run it dry.
I have no answers as of yet.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
SIG P239 for me. I LOVE the gun. Carried for years back in the way back time but it is the ONE SIG that I find myself riding the slide stop.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one point, all my Glocks had the same factory extended slide lock lever, and I found that I'd contact it with my thumb and the slide wouldn't lock. Occasionally it would lock prematurely, for the same reason. Returning to the factory short profile worked fine, and now they all use the Vickers part.

The problem, not surprisingly, was the operator, not the gun.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
My g34 does the same thing. I try to keep round count while I’m Shooting (match gun) so I don’t run it dry.
I have no answers as of yet.
lots of guys shooting Glocks in matches file the internal tab off the slide stop to disable it. They either reload before running empty or have to power stroke it after reloading. Supposedly saves time by preventing false slide locks.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count the rounds required for the stage. Determine a plan for where you'll reload. Unless its IDPA, there shouldn't be a place where the gun runs dry. If it is IDPA, it's a matter of not dropping magazines with rounds in them. Simple solution: don't drop mags. Everything else, chuck the mag at a pre-determined spot, rather than trying to wring every round out of it. Then you don't have to worry about running dry. If you do run dry because you missed a lot on steel, then fall back to an essential skill; mag changes. Try to get them done when moving between stations.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post