SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 gen 5 not slide locking after last round **update**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 gen 5 not slide locking after last round **update** Login/Join 
posted
Finally got the 17 mos with RMR ready for its first range trip.

9/10 times it would not slide lock on the last round. Three different ammo types and 5 mags. Slide lock holds just fine when manually locked back.

When smacking in a loaded mag the slide also goes into battery more often than not. When inserting a mag I made sure all fingers were below the trigger guard and the slide still went into battery.

I had numerous Glocks over the years and have not had either problem. I removed the slide and inserted each mag and they are activating the slide stop without any issue.

I wonder if this could be from the ambi slide lock and my grip is hitting the lock??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
It could be the grip, but there might also be a slide catch or spring issue. I’ve got quite a bit of time behind gen 5 Glocks, and I’ve never had a slide close when seating a magazine.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
When smacking in a loaded mag the slide also goes into battery more often than not.

FWIW, many people don’t consider that to be a problem. In fact, it is so common with many guns that many Glock shooters depend upon it (albeit sometimes inappropriately, IMO). The extra inertia of the RMR on the slide would probably make that more likely to occur. Automatic slide release like that is less likely if care is taken to insert the magazine with the force (“smacking”) directly in line with the magazine well rather hitting the grip so that the frame is driven forward during the process.

Although I have virtually no experience with Glocks, if you believe your grip might be interfering with the slide stop lever, it should be easy enough to experiment to check by loading just a single round in the gun and ensuring that your grip/fingers aren’t anywhere near the stop when you fire.

I believe it’s more likely, though, that the extra weight of the RMR on the slide is slowing slide speed and preventing its moving far enough to the rear after ejecting the last case to allow the slide stop to engage the intercept notch. I realize that Glocks are supposed to function properly with no lubrication other than congealed corn syrup and beach sand, but I always like my guns to be clean and well lubed with proper oil or grease. I don’t know either if lighter recoil springs are available for Glocks, but that’s something else I’d try.

Added: Well, of course as a little research revealed, reduced strength recoil springs are available for Glocks, so that would be something I’d try if my other suggestions don’t help.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Have you shot it before the RMR?

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Good question.
When I installed an R1P on my Legion, it interfered with slide velocity.
I had to do some recoil spring tuning to fix it.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not sure if Glocks are different than other pistols on the slide lock on an empty magazine but it sounds to me like the mechanism between the magazine and the slide locking is not moving to the full locked position. perhaps just breaking the pistol down and checking the various parts of this for burs and then rubbing it all well might solve the problem.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:

Good question.
When I installed an R1P on my Legion, it interfered with slide velocity.
I had to do some recoil spring tuning to fix it.

No I have not. I was too eager to try out the rmr. Never even tought the extrs weight of the rmr could be an issue.

I have a box of +p hollow points I might have to try out. Maybr the extra bang could compensate for the rmr.

It sucks the range is an hour away for trouble shooting.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybr the extra bang could compensate for the rmr.

Please keep us posted on how it checks out.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys.

Without another range trip, I think its either my grip or the rmr weight.

posted Hide Post
Other than the RMR, any other changes to the pistol?

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A slide's failure to lock back is generally shooter-induced.

Shoot it one-handed to see if your support hand is interfering with the slide lock lever. Make sure the lone hand that's gripping the gun is clear of the slide lock lever.

Also ensure that you're using a strong grip/stance with your wrists locked when you shoot, since limp-wristing can cause this.

If neither of those more common shooter-related culprits resolve it, then start looking for mechanical causes.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
Other than the RMR, any other changes to the pistol?

No its stock.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
100 percent its your grip. The ambi slide lock is a lot wider than the previous generations.

Consider yourself lucky. Some guys are locking the slide back under recoil with rounds still in the magazine.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking over the gun to check things out and saw the recoil spring is already 13lbs. Im finding non MOS glocks are 17lbs. It looks like they already compensated for the added optics weight.

Most likely its my grip.

Im not liking this at all, I never had this problem with any other Glock. Off to the interwebs to see if someone makes a conversion to a single sided slide stop.

posted Hide Post
I'm confused on the recoil spring issue. I see the same recoil assembly in my MOS and non MOS gun of the same model. Why do you think its a different part and rate?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe bring some tools with you and you can shoot it with the rmr and with no rmr(just the plate cover) to help isolate the issues.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine some years ago was complaining of the same thing with his Gen 4 19. It was super consistent and he thought there was something wrong with it. We went to the range and I said "I've got an idea." We loaded up every Glock magazine we had with us with a single round, and between the two of us, it was probably more than twenty. I went through all those mags and didn't have it fail to lock back once. Standard troubleshooting isolated the problem, which wasn't the gun.

quote:
Im not liking this at all, I never had this problem with any other Glock. Off to the interwebs to see if someone makes a conversion to a single sided slide stop.

Failing that, you could probably roll your own and take a dremel or a file to it to remove the offending section.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm confused on the recoil spring issue. I see the same recoil assembly in my MOS and non MOS gun of the same model. Why do you think its a different part and rate?

I google glock 9mm recoil spring weight and kept seeing 16-17 lbs. When I checked my spring for the mos it was 13. I assumed it was a lower weight to offset an optic

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'm only seeing one spring for the G17 Gen5 which is 17 lbs, never seen it specify MOS or non MOS.

About slide weight- The RMR RM06 weights 1.2 oz. (34.02g)

I'm wondering if the weight of the RMR is greater than or lesser than the weight of the steel removed from the slide plus cover plate, and if so, by how much?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm only seeing one spring for the G17 Gen5 which is 17 lbs, never seen it specify MOS or non MOS.

My spring is labeled 13. Im assuming that is the weight, right?