SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M17 Commemorative - To shoot or not to shoot... That is the question!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M17 Commemorative - To shoot or not to shoot... That is the question! Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
What does “shoot it like you’re deployed” mean? I think except for training, few military handguns are shot in combat. They are usually backup weapons.
Weapons still get plenty of range time downrange, plus you can put it in one of those cool drop leeeeg holsters and bang it into shit.

Personally I think a commemorative run is funny, since likely nobody buying it ever carried the M17 in service, not to mention the weapon has maybe been in service for a year, deployed with the 101st once?

But dollars are green, so I get it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ran another 100 or so rounds from my M 17 Comm , The more I use it the better it looks . I have one of the first Beretta M 9s that came out years ago in the big green box with ,belt , pouch , GI brown box inside and I shot and carried it on ATV runs for years . It looks like it seen 2 or 3 deployments . This M 17 will take its place .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Shoot it. Why own a gun and not?

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The clear answer is to get two. One to shoot and one to keep in hopes that someone gives a crap that its the commemorative edition in 40 years.

Seriously though, what would you pay now for a "special edition" Beretta 92 that was released after it was made the M9? Although I don't give a hoot, someone would.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
Your poll was missing the choice, “Don’t buy one.”

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I would only ask this one question...do you plan to sell it soon? If not, shoot it. Because if you don’t, whoever you leave it to will shoot it.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two in my hand , that would have been the time to do it , I could have flipped one and it would have been like a few hundred cheaper for the one I kept . They had that one left , and they are a Master Dealer . I do shoot mine .

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I get it that unfired Gen1 G17s with their tupperware box and stuffings still intact now are getting serious $$$ more than they ever did as little as 5-6 years ago. It's new and unfired only once. Hell even used, well-kept Gen1 G17s are bringing eyebrow raising money. But it's still a run-of-the-mill Gen1 G17, of which Gaston made a shitload of them. However that generation of G17 holds a significant place in history; it started Glock the gun maker, and it was the right DNA that changed the landscape of modern handguns (sorry HK). And the fact that the G17 (and its later G22 sibling) made such inroads into the armories of American law enforcement doesn't hurt its significance either.

Will the M17 truly ever gain that kind of stature? I doubt it but a Commemorative edition will always resonate with some collector out there. But it will always be just another plastic gun--albeit with the WRONG grip module (I prefer the X-frame)--to me, and I'm one who likes plastic guns and willing to sing their praises most of the time.

Personally I would've never bought it. But if I did I'd shoot it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most people would be better off putting that $700 in an Mutual fund for 40 years as an investment.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you put it away for twenty years, it will be worth slightly more than you paid for it, but after adjusting for inflation, it turns out that you didn't make dick off of it, and you never got any enjoyment out of it, either.

Tell us again why you bought the thing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Most people would be better off putting that $700 in an Mutual fund for 40 years as an investment.

That’s true of virtually any gun purchase today. Guns, in general, are lousy investments.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I get it that unfired Gen1 G17s with their tupperware box and stuffings still intact now are getting serious $$$ more than they ever did as little as 5-6 years ago. It's new and unfired only once. Hell even used, well-kept Gen1 G17s are bringing eyebrow raising money. But it's still a run-of-the-mill Gen1 G17, of which Gaston made a shitload of them. However that generation of G17 holds a significant place in history; it started Glock the gun maker, and it was the right DNA that changed the landscape of modern handguns (sorry HK). And the fact that the G17 (and its later G22 sibling) made such inroads into the armories of American law enforcement doesn't hurt its significance either.

Will the M17 truly ever gain that kind of stature? I doubt it but a Commemorative edition will always resonate with some collector out there. But it will always be just another plastic gun--albeit with the WRONG grip module (I prefer the X-frame)--to me, and I'm one who likes plastic guns and willing to sing their praises most of the time.

Personally I would've never bought it. But if I did I'd shoot it.

Don’t get the Glock thing at all. I can see it if you got G17 serial number 00001, but other than that, what’s the real appeal? They made tons of them. Why would owning the 12,389th G17 Gen 1 have any special value?

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Don’t get the Glock thing at all. I can see it if you got G17 serial number 00001, but other than that, what’s the real appeal? They made tons of them. Why would owning the 12,389th G17 Gen 1 have any special value?
Lots of things with no inherent value become 'collectable'. The key is figuring out in advance what might be or being lucky enough to buy something collectable.

We see it here on the forum. About year ago German P228s were going for crazy money - but there are tons of them out there. But still they were selling for about double. Why? People perceived them as collectable for some reason.

Lets just say logic / item utility isn't always a factor in how that all goes.

posted Hide Post
I will shoot the shit out of this M 17 Comm . So far I ran Blazer Alm and brass , Win 124 Nato , Gold DOT and TULA ammo no problems .

Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Disappointing that the “normal” P320-M17 doesn’t have the tan controls like the military versions

Was told the initial contract was for all tan gun with the tan controls. Shortly after, military changed things up and went to black controls. Heard this from a Sig rep, either some good bull to sell the commemorative or might actually pan out. I'm sure time will tell...

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I would use it as a range gun.

I have a friend that spent a lot of time and dollars buying Glocks with the US suffix in their serial numbers. When he decided to sell them he found no one cared about the difference.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know. I plan on retiring early selling my police turn in P7’s. Lol

Shoot it like you stole it.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just jumped on the 4 wheeler and took the M 17 Sig along . I ran another 50 rds of Tula 115 gr , no problems . I was shooting this gun a little low now I got the sight picture down .

Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
It always seemed odd to put a perfectly functioning firearm in a glass case just to be looked at. Firearms are meant to be shot. Even cars are driven, regardless of price. If I received any commemorative firearms as a gift or prize, it would be treated like a redhead on a range.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post