SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M17 Commemorative - To shoot or not to shoot... That is the question!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M17 Commemorative - To shoot or not to shoot... That is the question! Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I'm curious whether, if you were to buy one, or have bought one, or plan to guy one, or even if you are not going to buy one....

Question:
Would you shoot it or not? Safe Queen, collectable, range gun or carry?

Choices:
Safe Queen
Collectible
Range Gun
Carry Gun
Shoot It Like You You're Deployed

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collectible kind of person. I might buy something because it is desirable and rare or uncommon, like the 5000 run M17 Commemorative, but I'm not inclined to not shoot it on the bet "it'll be worth something some day".

I might not shoot it much, but I can't see justing keeping it packed in the safe.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Range pistol.
I'm not much of a collector either although I do own 2 unfired pistols. Different story there though.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Collectible guns are rare examples of rare guns. Think Colt Python with immaculate bluing and no drag marks on the cylinder. That's worth some cash. Hell, even a well-used Python is worth a decent amount.

With something like a M17, I can't see the same amount of passion. It will be a rare example of an extremely common firearm.

If you intend to never ever shoot it or rack the slide, I can see it being worth what you paid for it in 20 years. I doubt it will ever be worth a significant premium over a common M17.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Plastic = not collectible. Smile

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
As it stands, at my FFL, they are selling for about $300 more than the Civilian version, maybe $250+ more. The 21 round mags aren't worth that much of a premium.

The only difference seems to be the gun is entirely tan or sand or bronze or whatever, but different parts are slightly different shades, and it comes with two 21 round magazines. The controls are the same color as the gun while the Civilian controls and trigger are black.

I think, otherwise, they are functionally the same with no extra coatings or treatments or such for the Commemorative. There are the special markings and the banner on the slide.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Commemoratives always cost more,

and the moment they are shot, loose value

as in not worth anymore than the same model used

they are made for those that want to display, not a shooter,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
It's a baby shit yellow plastic gun.

Shoot the damn thing.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the one I got last week , and never looked back , My dealer only got a few I had two in my hand the only extra this Comm would have brought to my wallet is if I bought the two and flipped the other right away , there were people looking for them that could not get one .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:

Shoot the damn thing.

Like you’re deployed.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I voted the same as most everybody else. Here is what I was basing the vote on:

• Safe Queen - A prototype or when it is worth more than $3,000 and you have no way of getting another one.
  • Collectible - Production run of less than 250 or it is something you have imported yourself.
  • Range Gun - Collectible and you have more than one, or what ever you enjoy shooting.
  • Carry Gun - Range gun that is concealable and you are most comfortable with.
  • Shoot It Like You're Deployed - Damn near everything else... Big Grin

•  
    Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
    quote:
    Originally posted by qxsoup:

Shoot the damn thing.

Like you’re deployed.

Yup.

You might even shoot it more than its even been shot while deployed so far!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Prefontaine
    posted Hide Post
    Shoot it, carry it, etc. life is too short.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Rail-less
    and
    Tail-less
    posted Hide Post
    I would commemorate that time you shot the shit out if it at the range Big Grin

A gun you don’t shoot is like a steak you don’t eat...aka pointless.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I think the idea that these will be collectable is just insane. But I am willing to setup a pool so we can bet on it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The guy behind the guy
    Picture of esdunbar
    posted Hide Post
    The 226 Navy NSW was an exact replica and there were only 2,000 made.

Today they sell for for a few hundred bucks more than a normal 226.

5,000 is a fairly large run.

Is it worth not enjoying your gun for a couple hundred bucks some day?

Shoot it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Shoot the snot out of it.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of GroundedCLK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by lyman:
    Commemoratives always cost more,

and the moment they are shot, loose value

as in not worth anymore than the same model used

they are made for those that want to display, not a shooter,

Ditto

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Bob RI
    posted Hide Post
    Shoot it!

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    What does “shoot it like you’re deployed” mean? I think except for training, few military handguns are shot in combat. They are usually backup weapons.

Disappointing that the “normal” P320-M17 doesn’t have the tan controls like the military versions, but I guess that, and the 21-round mags, are the hook to get people to pony up the extra $300 for the commemorative edition.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post