SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P225A1 mainspring overkill?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P225A1 mainspring overkill? Login/Join 
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted
Is it just me or did the fine folks at Exeter go overboard when deciding what mainspring to put in the P225A1? The DA on these guns is really heavy.

Can I put in a lighter weight spring, and if so, what weight?

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I believe the first P6 guns for W German police dept required heavy springs to set off milspec primers. That may have carried into the P225. The mainsprings are about 25lb, and even P226 comes with 20#. You can buy Wolff springs in several weights and change that out easily w/o trigger work. Consider not going to the lightest w/o testing for reliable function with wide variety of ammo.

The A1 version may be different, so I'll take any correction gracefully.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 225A1 is several years old and the double action pull is slightly heavier than my P229 or P239 but it is good DA trigger pull and shoots very well. I think individual examples may end up with different springs. It is reasonable to change the spring if you like a lighter pull.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mountain Walker,

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P225A1 came from the factory with a red DAK mainspring. I replaced it with a #19 from wolff and it had worked great.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the Wolff 17# in my 225A1 and it's been 100% reliable.

g

Posts: 24 | Location: Middle America | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Good info. Looks like I'll grab a couple of Wolf springs and change them out.

Thanks for the replies.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the -A1, but an original P6 and it had the worst DA pull ever! I put a #19 in it which greatly improved it, I also have a #19 in my P226. Never any reliability issues and Grayguns uses the #19 for their duty level action jobs.

I'd be willing to go #17 in a range or competition gun but not a carry gun, but that's just me. A great DA pull can be had with the #19 and some polishing.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. The red DAK spring is ridiculous. I changed it out immediately. No issues. I think I bought a shooters pack from Wolff and started with the same weight as a 228 and then tried lower. Either way, ditch that red one.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sig P225a1 is my default carry gun. I swapped out the original factory mainspring for a Wolff 19#. Zero malfunction with any various ammunition. After polishing the trigger bar, sear, hammer, hammer strut and other action parts, my DA is 7 lbs. 8 ozs. and SA is 3 lbs. 6 ozs. Action is now super-smooth.

And, no, I'm not too concerned about legal justification for the action enhancement work on a carry pistol. Bear in mind, compared to most striker-fire actions, the trigger pull is still considerably longer and DA pull is substantially heavier. So I assert the action enhancement ultimately engenders improved safety and accuracy.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol and CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police
*************************************************************************************************************
"Civilian marksmanship was appalling, for a population obsessed with guns." - Lee Child, "A Wanted Man"

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post