SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 problem light strikes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 problem light strikes Login/Join 
Picture of onpointgun
posted
So today at the range my 365 started having light primer strikes. I would say about 25% went click with no bang. I tried several different types of ammo with the same results. I think I probably have somewhere around 1K rounds down range and this was my first problem. I will be calling Sig tomorrow hopefully they will fix the problems with these things because I really love shooting and carrying it.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
I wish you well with your repair. My 365 was simply not reliable with about one light strike or jam every 100 rounds. Cheap ball or premium self defense ammo all had issues. I returned mine to the dealer after about 1000 rounds with not once feeling comfortable enough to carry it as my primary piece. I hope in a year or so I might give one another try. It is such a little gem if it works right.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FotoTomas:
I wish you well with your repair. My 365 was simply not reliable with about one light strike or jam every 100 rounds. Cheap ball or premium self defense ammo all had issues. I returned mine to the dealer after about 1000 rounds with not once feeling comfortable enough to carry it as my primary piece. I hope in a year or so I might give one another try. It is such a little gem if it works right.

Did you just decide not to give Sig a chance at a repair?

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I had my first, ( and only, so far ) light strike occurancne with my 365 earlier this week, around about 700 rounds total through the gun. This happened during several strings of rapid fire, near the end of a 400 round range session. After clearing and inspecting things, I recycled that round through and it fired. I ran another 100 rounds through the gun without issue that day.

Today when I finally sat down to clean it up, I decided to pull the striker assembly out. It was fairly dirty inside the striker channel area, as well as the forward end of the striker itself. I cleaned everything up and will see how things go during my next range trip with it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put over 500 rounds thru the gun before i had one fail to chamber. Took the gun home and cleaned it next trip to the range i put 100 rounds thru the gun with no hang ups.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Some of the rounds that failed the first time I dropped back in and some went bang other had a second light strike. I put the others in a HK VP9 and all fired with not issues.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
before sending it back I would take the firing pin assembly out and clean inside that area real well, it could be junk built up or too much oil, it says in the manual not to oil in the area.

2600 rounds thru mine zero issues I have cleaned that area once

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
quote:
Originally posted by FotoTomas:

Did you just decide not to give Sig a chance at a repair?

Correct. The problems the gun had in the press coupled with my experience firsthand led me to believe it was not worth messing with. In my 50+ years of shooting various rifles, shotguns and pistols I know for a fact that any firearm that failed me would never be trusted even if repaired. I understand the concept of a break in period and the possibility of ammo that might not be suitable for whatever reason. That was why I gave it such a thorough shakedown. After all of that I decided to cut my losses and spend my money on something else.

Later I will look at another sample after a year or so of production.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A light strike, 1/100, if consistent, is a problem, but before going further, ensure it's not the ammunition, and ensure the pistol is clean.

This has come up before, but if the pistol is firing out of battery, then it's a much more serious problem. The pistol will act as a blow-back and have no lock time, and should be mechanically impossible. The purpose of the delay in cycling is to give time for chamber pressure to drop; if it hasn't dropped, you may have venting into the magazine and out the mag well or grips, similar to a "kaboom." If you find a pistol is firing out of battery, stop experimenting or shooting, and get it back to the manufacturer.

There's no reason to suspect that Sig can't fix the problem: the reports seen here have continued to suggest that Sig is taking action when problem P365's are sent in, replacing extractors, firing pins, springs, etc. Sig has also been reported to have made changes to part designs, suggesting more than simply throwing parts at the issues.

I understand the trepidation; I've had other problems with other manufacturers (rarely) which were not fixed by a return to the manufacturer. Specifically Kahr P-seres .40 pistols, and the diminuitive Keltec P3AT. A P40 blew apart in my hand after its third trip to the factory, and none of the P40's were ever reliable even after service. The P3AT proved disasterously unreliable even after multiple trips back.

Otherwise, with a company like Sig, I wouldn't hesitate to send the pistol back. I've had renewed P-series Sigs that were indistinguishable from new.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Light primer strikes and failures to extract seem to be the most recent commonly reported problem with the P365, it seems to me.

Do others get the same impression?

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FotoTomas: In my 50+ years of shooting various rifles, shotguns and pistols I know for a fact that any firearm that failed me would never be trusted even if repaired.

Things break.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
How about the not so light, primer drag?

Here's a photo of my born date 28 June 2018 expanded casings next to an expanded casing from my Glock 42. I used the 42 in comparison as to not confuse which pistol the rounds came out of.

Still extreme striker drag on the primers of the P365, and absolutely none on the 42, thereby dispelling the "all sub compact pistols have striker drag" meme.

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstan9615a
posted Hide Post
Just a personal opinion...the 365 has been plagued with problems. I will not be a non-compensated Beta Tester for a gun company that should have their shit together! Keep It!

Posts: 61 | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post