SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I must eat my words.... P225A
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I must eat my words.... P225A Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I am a huge lover of the original P225. It was my first Sig, when I had a major financial crash at one point I sold all my guns, a nice collection of early 90s German Sigs, glocks, etc. Sold it all except that P225. Picked up another couple and a bunch of mags, and it was my favorite pistol.

The P225A came out and I was unimpressed, it wasn't the P225 I knew. Had no interest in it. Recently traded into a P225A and have several trips to the range with it now, damn what a nice shooter.

I tried the P239, several times, and just couldn't get the ergos right for me. The idea of it appealed to me, but I just couldn't love it.

I love the P225A. Great ergos, very accurate, pleasure to shoot. I can understand at the $1000 price point they go for around here why they aren't more popular, but if you have a chance to get one at a good price, you won't be disappointed. I am a convert now, it's still not the same as the original, but it feels and performs just as good.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Excellent little gun, for sure. Definitely advantaged everything over the original, except being a classic. I ended up getting rid of mine, though. Still have the classic. Smile

Btw, if you can find one, get the P225-A1 Classic Carry for much cheaper than the other variants.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if my hands resemble those of the OP. Just couldn't love the 239, even with the best of good intentions - in nothing else, the damned frame was just that little bit too short. Love the 225A1 enough that I'm with other members here who have said that SIG ought to put out a version with a longer slide and barrel (a 4.4" barrel would be dandy) just because it's just that good a pistol.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have size large hands, and find the P239 fantastically easy to shoot. In which ways do you find the P225 better than the P239?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I have size large hands, and find the P239 fantastically easy to shoot. In which ways do you find the P225 better than the P239?

I know what some of the others above are talking about. For me, it's the length of my palm and my fingers. The frame and trigger reach of the P239 is just too short. To pull the trigger far enough back to reach trigger break, I have to contort my hand so far that my palm comes off the grip...which doesn't do great things for accuracy. The 225 is big enough that I don't have this problem. I wanted to like the 239 as I really like the form factor...it just doesn't work for me. The P225, on the other hand, is fantastic.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my P225A1 (I got the custom carry model). So much so that I sold my '98 date coded P225 classic and I don't regret it one bit. Even with my small hands the classic felt "cramped".

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My 220-9mm is similar but slightly larger. Feels like is was custom made for my hands.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Q. He put the classic carry g10 grips on std frame. I added Trijicon HD sights. I also swapped out red DAK mainspring for a std P series mainspring. Never understood why they ship with the red DAK mainspring.

It is better than the classic. Except not being a classic. As for the 239, if you like 9mm and have no reason to want to swap calibers the 225a1 fits most guys better. Not everyone, but I suspect some of that is just plain stubbornness. Lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I can understand at the $1000 price point they go for around here why they aren't more popular,

As an economist by training, I would submit that if they are going for $1000 they are hugely popular, by definition. Smile

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are paying 1000 dollars you have very poor internet fu. I have 2, one bought brand new and one like new. Neither were the more inexpensive carry model. Didn’t pay anywhere near 1000 for either.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I didn't pay $1000, but at any local gun store around here that's what they go for. I traded for mine.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the single stacks, so both the P225 and P239 are excellent pistols, but the extra length on the grip of the 225 seem to give the pistol more overall balance. My holy grail pistol would be a Stainless P225-A1. Also, I was one who paid a Grand for the 225-A1 a few years back. The wood grip version is at my LGS for $900

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooooo, a stainless one. I would buy that. I guess I got lucky. My new one was under 700 and my like new one even less. I think the MSRP is jacked at 1000 dollars.

Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
For some reason Sig is getting rid of all the stainless guns.(Probably because all the sweat pant and yoga pant wearing yuppies don't wear a belt so they need a 10 oz pistol to carry) P226 Stainless Elite is about the only one left. P238 still has a CA model and the Molon Labe version.

I'd love to see a P225-A1 all steel pistol. I still want a P938 ALL Steel pistol.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
For some reason, Sig is getting rid of all the stainless guns.(Probably because all the sweat pant and yoga pant wearing yuppies don't wear a belt so they need a 10 oz pistol to carry) P226 Stainless Elite is about the only one left. P238 still has a CA model and the Molon Labe version.

I'd love to see a P225-A1 all steel pistol. I still want a P938 ALL Steel pistol.

Yeah!!! Me too!!
But back to the P225A1, I have one and love it. It is a step better than the P239 ( I have 2 and wont ride of them), and though I love my original (more than 20Year old) P225, It is a better 225 in my opinion. I did, however, change the hammer spring on the Original P225 and lightened up the DA pull.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post