SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rust Blue on Stainless?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust Blue on Stainless? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
I have had good luck rust blueing carbon steel.

Since most stainless gun parts are 400 grade

stainless and contain about 0.5% carbon

can they be rust blued?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Not one comment?

The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few ways to blacken stainless. The only way I know of personally, is 180 parts Sulfuric acid. 200 parts distilled water, 50 parts potassium dichromate, heat to 210F and insert metal until it darkens as much as you want to darken it and remove it. There are several kits out there that use their own proprietary chemicals.

Here's another recipe that doesn't use heat.

https://www.hunker.com/1341526...-steel-dark-or-black

I would find some 400 grade stainless bar stock pieces or something to experiment with first.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve always heard that conventional bluing methods don’t work on stainless steel, but perhaps the specific alloy makes a difference.

Brownells sells bluing chemicals and they will answer technical questions like that about their products. I’d send them an email with the question.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
The process of darkening Stainless Steel is an experiment at best , with any bluing product, that is commonly bought over the counter.
Too many variables , for someone who is not trained or experienced in metalurgy.
Best to look at some of the "Paint -like coatings" .

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, you cannot rust blue stainless steel.
As said there are ways to blacken it but the black stainless S&W I looked at was wearing pretty fast and looked worse than worn blue CM.

You CAN have stainless nitrided or Ionbonded for a hard dark surface.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your answers.

George

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carried a P226 for 15 years that has a stainless slide. It was a dark blue just like the frame. Dunno what sig puts on them but whatever it is, it’s some good stuff. In and out of a holster at least once a day, rain, heat, constant wiping down...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results with Caswell's Stainless Steel Blackener Gel Kit

Caswell02 by kpkina, on Flickr

Bbl rollmark by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post