SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Snapcaps for P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snapcaps for P320 Login/Join 
posted
I recently purchased a P320-M18 and have fired about 100 Federal training and Remington range 9mm Luger 115gr through it using all 3 magazines and zero jams.

I have attempted dry fire with the Tipton and A-Zoom snapcaps using all 3 magazines. Each time the slide jams when I try to extract the snapcap. This is with all 3 mags. I have to remove the magazine and rock the slide back and forth to extract the snapcap.

These snapcaps work fine in my M&P 9 Shield EZ.

Can anyone recommend a brand of snapcaps that they have used in a P320?

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 25, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
S.T. Action Pro makes the best dummy rounds I’m familiar with. They use actual metal cases and polymer inserts. They feed, chamber, extract, and eject just like live rounds. They are extremely durable and I’ve used some of mine regularly for years. In all the time I have used them, I believe the “bullet” of one 223 dummy broke off.

https://stactionpro.com/produc...rainer-dummy-rounds/

They are not, however, snap caps because they don’t have anything in the primer pocket to cushion the firing pin. It might be possible to drill out the polymer and fill the pocket with some sort of silicone seal to serve the purpose, but if you’re just using them for malfunction and other drills, they are the best, IMO.
(True snap caps are not necessary when dry-firing the P320.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Thanks for that site info. I just bought a bunch.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if those orange plastic dummy bullets (just the "projectile", not the whole cartridge) can be purchased in bulk anywhere? I could use a bunch of these for training aids at work, but it seems I could make them a lot cheaper if I could buy just the "bullets".

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have never seen the STAP projectile inserts for sale separately. If you wanted enough perhaps the company would sell them that way.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sigfreund.
I will order some.

They actually cost about the same or a little less that the Tipton or A-Zoom.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 25, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KP Tactical makes some nice ones. They're all brass except for a little rubber "primer" for dry firing.

https://sofrep.com/gear/kp-tactical-brass-snap-caps/

I use them in all my 9mm pistols, including P320s. I'm not sure what other calibers they make, if any.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the kp tactical dummy rounds, in aluminum and brass. They feed just fine and I use them to induce malfunctions, buried in a stack of live rounds, to force a malfunction drill.

As noted, the brass ones do look like live rounds and are heavy. Be sure if you're doing dry fire that you've carefully ensured only those dummy rounds are available and no live ammunition is in the room...because it's possible to mistake them. They do have a pointier projectile end, but it would still be an easy, and tragic mistake. I put marks on all mine to help differentiate.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No jumping on those that like actual inert, training ammo. Modern, centerfire pistols are not dryfire sensitive.

I'd offer this solution instead: Rogers TRT,

This was designed by Bill Rogers and easily sides into a magazine to disengage the slide stop mechanism. It does not alter the mag or require any changes. When you are done, remove it like a actual round and reload the mag with real ammo. Mag changes are easy to practice as the falling mag won't dislodge the "round". And you won't constantly be chasing a dummy round around a room.

They are avail in 9/.40 and .45. In addition, there is a 556 version as well for rifle training. The bright colors ensure you are mixing live and dummy rounds.

For departments and shooting schools, you can get larger quantities by contacting the website directly.

Just another smart option.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The double alpha magazine is available for the P320. It's a weighted magazine with a follower at the top that also prevents lockback, useful when racking in dry firing. The weight makes handling and magazine changes more realistic. The color is unmistakable with an actual mag. The function very well. I use five of them for dry fire at home; four on the belt and one in the pistol.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us...e-magazine-pack-of-3

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info on Double Alpha. I ordered a couple of training magazines.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post