Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig p226 Login/Join 
Picture of nsagnell
posted Hide Post
I have a West German 226 that has over 10K rounds through it. With todays compact and subcompact craze it feels enormous and it is too heavy to carry unless you are a mountain of a man. Still wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Great nightstand pistol.

--------------------------------
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Posts: 1774 | Location: Miami | Registered: June 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ducatiti
posted Hide Post
I have recently acquired one and love it so far. I'm not gonna lie but I'm kind of disappointed because the slide has a slight play. Didn't really expect this for a $1000+ pistol while my 92fs feels solid comparable to my 1911, no play at all.

Overall, shoots like a dream especially with the SRT.

That being said, is it true that the weakest point for any 226 would be the recoil spring? Cheap fix but would like to know what to look out for.

Posts: 56 | Registered: June 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in 9mm. It's great.

Can someone tell me why the .40/.357 version of the P226 have 12 round mags and the P229 .40/.357 also have 12 round mags?

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LoneStar, I have two p226s/9mm vintage 1980s and a Legion also in 9mm. For all the Legion hype, I can not, for the life of me, tell you which of the 3 shoots and feels the best! These pistols will out live many of us and are like the Timex watches. Go for it! You will never regret it. The p226s are beautiful to boot.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lonestar outlaw:
I am strongly considering one of these full
size p226's
I would like any comment from those that have one of these

All hyperbole and BS aside, I think there's a legitimate argument that can be made that the P226 9mm is the finest handgun in history. Like...ever. The very best of all time. That's not overstating it at all.

I have a personal fondness for the P226. One day, while home alone with my 3 year old beloved son, a felon high on drugs tried to kick in my front door. I scooped up my boy and ran to the bedroom closet. I could've grabbed either a P220 .45 or P226 9mm. Without a second thought, I grabbed the P226. Though the suspect was unable to kick open my door (he did get into a female's apartment across the yard), I knew my P226 would've fired had I needed to shoot to defend my baby boy.

30 years in the field with impeccable service. In 25 years on the range, it's the only major brand and model of handgun that comes to my mind that I've never seen malfunction or break. My only complaint is that the older ones are prone to rust, but with a good maintenance schedule and oily cloth, it's a moot point. Buy with confidence, and please consider the 9mm P226. The .40s are nice, but big for only 12 rounds and pretty brisk on recoil. Please post pics if you buy one.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I was a Ruger fan for years (still am 'officially') but a few years back was headed to my 2nd four day defensive handgun class at Front Sight and decided to 'step up' in firearms. Previous year I trained with a Ruger P95 and did really well... but I dropped by my local gun shop one morning between jobs and ended up leaving with a standard Sig P226 with E2 grips.....damn that is one fine running pistol.... last year I could not help myself and just for kicks purchases a M25... it is now my 'Barbecue Gun'.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:
size p226's

All hyperbole and BS aside, I think there's a legitimate argument that can be made that the P226 9mm is the finest handgun in history. Like...ever. The very best of all time. That's not overstating it at all.

This!!!!!!!

But get one in your hands before you buy. Hopefully a range has one in their rental case near you. As excellent as a gun at it is, best to make sure it fits YOU. Grips can be a little wide for those with small hands.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
I have both 226 and 220s. Two of each. A 1989 P220 and 1987 P220 and a 1997 German P226 9mm and a 2014 P226 40/357 Elite.

As much as I like all of them, I would choose my 89 P220 first. I have owned it since new and the only problems I have ever had is when I slacked off with cleaning and lubing. It has been to Sig years ago for an action enhancement and by far my favorite pistol, bar none. Thousands of rounds and never disappointed.

My 226s have not been with me as long but would not hesitate to use either if needed. But my go to is the P220.

Just my humble opinion. Do not hesitate, the older the better!

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Grips; That is the one thing I noticed about the M25 I got.... it did not feel right at first and I realized it was the standard grips that came with it. Seems Sig full size pistols (I really only have experience with the p226) are fat and too fat for my hands... the E2 grips are great, much thinner and the G10s are close.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lonestar outlaw
posted Hide Post
Well I have decided on a legion and I sure thank everyone for your comments
Its the da/sa 15 round

100% Texagun

Posts: 37 | Location: East Texas | Registered: July 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good deal, one day I plan to join the Legion.
Could have last year, but went with that M25 in Desert Tan instead.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:
size p226's

This!!!!!!!

But get one in your hands before you buy. Hopefully a range has one in their rental case near you. As excellent as a gun at it is, best to make sure it fits YOU. Grips can be a little wide for those with small hands.

100% Texagun

Posts: 37 | Location: East Texas | Registered: July 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skins I took your advise and found a gun shop that had a full size legion
Unfortunately it just didn't feel good because of the grips and it seemed a bit heavy
Thank you skins for suggesting to handle one before I bought it

100% Texagun

legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Excellent full sized, pistol. Flawless functioning, accurate, easy to field strip and maintain.

Too big and too heavy for practical concealed carry, in my opinion. I prefer my P938 for that.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
All hail the P226...truly excellent.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ducatiti:
I have recently acquired one and love it so far. I'm not gonna lie but I'm kind of disappointed because the slide has a slight play. Didn't really expect this for a $1000+ pistol while my 92fs feels solid comparable to my 1911, no play at all.

Overall, shoots like a dream especially with the SRT.

That being said, is it true that the weakest point for any 226 would be the recoil spring? Cheap fix but would like to know what to look out for.

No there is no weak point with the recoil spring you must to change this spring every 5'000 rounds. the only weak point i know is the dual rollpins with the stamped slide that need to be change every 5'000 rounds too.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Skins I took your advise and found a gun shop that had a full size legion
Unfortunately it just didn't feel good because of the grips and it seemed a bit heavy
Thank you skins for suggesting to handle one before I bought it

Well, that means the P226 is off the table for you. If you feel the Legion grips don't feel good in your hands, then it is more than likely that a P226 with stock plastic grips will feel worse. And, it seemed heavy to you because it is a full size pistol. Nothing wrong with that.

Might as well go the next step smaller and get the P229, or better yet, the P228. Just like many folks preferring the smaller G19 to the G17.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have a P226 mfg 1987 w.germany. I picked it up used in 1989. I added night sights and have run more than 10k rounds through it. It’s been flawless and has never needed repair.
Everyone needs a P226.

Posts: 26 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: May 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have .40 P226 with a complete 9mm upper, and .22 conversion kit. It would probably be the one pistol package I would keep if limited to just one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I bought my 226 9mm back in the late '80's and it was my duty gun until I retired in '06. I have put several thousand rounds through it with nary a problem. It's the standard by which I judge all my other semi auto pistols.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post