SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    About to replace my 220 Carry With........
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About to replace my 220 Carry With........ Login/Join 
posted
Hey all. Been a long time, but I am back.

So after roughly 8 years with my Sig P220 carry ( and hardly ever carrying it due to it's bulk)
I am ready to get something else. I haven't decided to sell it or just buy another one.
I originally bought it for my SD gun but found that it is a bit heavy (especially loaded) and bulky to carry,
so that duty has largely gone to my Taurus .38 ultralight...which is another disaster altogether...

I was thinking of trading the P220 in on perhaps the 320 sub compact or something along those lines (9mm) perhaps even the VP9SK

It is incredibly hard to find a value on this gun. It is a P220 Carry, night sights, and beaverttail. I was told it may have been a government overrun
model, but I dunno.

I hate getting lowballed at the gunshop only to find out later....

Anyway, am i thinking along the right lines in that a sub compact may be my better choice compared to the P220 Carry?

Posts: 28 | Location: Yulee, Fl | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
There is No Way in Hell I would trade in a P220 Carry for a P320.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, wasn't clear in my post....you are right I wasn't thinking of trading the 220 for the 320 straight out.
I am looking to replace my taurus 38 AND my 220, as I would like to carry both.

I was thinking of an SW Airweight 38 and a sub compact 9mm

So I would pay the difference of course but not sure what that may be yet.

Posts: 28 | Location: Yulee, Fl | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with my sub-compact P320. It's just the right size, and 15 round mags for backup are quite handy. If you'd consider a P250, you can get them at Cabelas right now for a few bucks less than the 320. I like them both. DO NOT sell your 220 at a gun shop. Figure out a decent price by scanning Gunbroker and other sites, then list it here in the classifieds. You'll get a better price, and whoever buys it will appreciate it!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
What trigger type? Striker or TDA? My preference in TDA runs towards the likes of a HK P30S / P2000Sk. I like the M&P Compacts in striker.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
You will eventually buy a Glock, Why not now? A 19 or 23....

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Or a Glock 26, Glock 43, or S&W Shield 9mm? Each is a quantum leap over an airweight revolver in terms of magazine-fed firepower. Esp. the Glock 26.

Or get both a Glock 19 or 26 and the Airweight, such as a 642 or 638. Your trade ins and/or selling of your guns should provide at least 70% of the cost.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own two Sig P250sc pistols, a 9mm and a .40 S&W; same over all size as the P320sc. I like the size but would like a finger extension on the magazines.

The P250/320 sub compacts are the same size as my HK P7 PSP, Sig P232, and S&W 3953.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stilletto:

You will ALWAYS get low balled trading in a gun at a retail gun shop. ALWAYS.

Don't do that. Sell the gun and then go buy whatever it is you decide to buy.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
If you find the P220 Carry too big, I really doubt there is anything short of a Glock 42 and like sized guns that you will find to be small enough for your tastes.

I have a full size P320 and a P250 Compact (same as a P320 except for the trigger), I also have a P220 Carry and a P245 (same as a P220 compact basically). When I carry, I find the thickness of the pistol and the length of the grip to be the biggest factors on how easy they are to carry concealed. and I find the P220 and P245 to be easier for me to carry than my P250 or P229s. The weight of the all metal guns comes into some effect but a good holster/belt mitigate that some.

I really doubt that you will be any happier with a P320C or even P320SC over your P220 Carry. BUT it's your money.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P220 Carry, and find it ideal for carry when I can use a belt or shoulder holster (traveling by car). I also have a P229 (12+1) and am considering a P227 in Carry length.

At other times (e.g., casual) I carry a Springfield XDs or XDm2 (double stack) .45, which fit in a pocket holster. The smallest Glock is about 1/2" larger in height and length, and too big for pocket carry.

The XDm2 also carries well in a belt holster. The extended magazine with the filler gives you 13+1 rounds and the equivalent of a full-sized grip.

Posts: 1674 | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neumann:
I have a P220 Carry, and find it ideal for carry when I can use a belt or shoulder holster (traveling by car). I also have a P229 (12+1) and am considering a P227 in Carry length.

At other times (e.g., casual) I carry a Springfield XDs or XDm2 (double stack) .45, which fit in a pocket holster. The smallest Glock is about 1/2" larger in height and length, and too big for pocket carry.

The XDm2 also carries well in a belt holster. The extended magazine with the filler gives you 13+1 rounds and the equivalent of a full-sized grip.

If you already have a P220 Carry and want a P227 I'd suggest getting a standard full size P227. You should be able to just swap the carry slide off your P220 Carry and place it on the P227.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could buy a P320 Compact and put the SC grip on it ($38). This would give you something easy to conceal, but with a longer sight radius. This would allow you to go back to the Compact grip with 15 round capacity in the future, if you decide to ever visit Chicago...

As mentioned above, you will want the mag pinky extensions if you use a SC grip. I glued mine on with Superglue, this worked well. I used G43 extensions.

The SC grip is quite thin, similar to a single stack gun. You can belt sand the sides of a Compact grip to make it thinner, then install on Talon grip tape or do a stippling job.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from a p220 carry to ... a 1911 Colt's commander (not even the lightweight version). And I couldn't be happier with the decision. FWIW. Rotating with a p228. I sport a Milt Sparks Versamax II (IWB) for the p220 and a Galco V-Hawk for the 1911 commander (which is a clone of the Milt Sparks). For pistols of this size, I like a the higher riding IWB of the VM-II or V-Hawk.

Currently, though, for the hot days and minimalist attire, I'm going with a S&W model 36 chief's special. I've become very fond of that little revolver. The holster is a Galco Tuck-n-go, which does nice double duty as IWB or pocket carry.

So, between the 1911 and the S&W snubby, I've gone completely retro.

quote:
Originally posted by Stilletto:
Hey all. Been a long time, but I am back.

So after roughly 8 years with my Sig P220 carry ( and hardly ever carrying it due to it's bulk)
I am ready to get something else. I haven't decided to sell it or just buy another one.
I originally bought it for my SD gun but found that it is a bit heavy (especially loaded) and bulky to carry,
so that duty has largely gone to my Taurus .38 ultralight...which is another disaster altogether...

I was thinking of trading the P220 in on perhaps the 320 sub compact or something along those lines (9mm) perhaps even the VP9SK

It is incredibly hard to find a value on this gun. It is a P220 Carry, night sights, and beaverttail. I was told it may have been a government overrun
model, but I dunno.

Anyway, am i thinking along the right lines in that a sub compact may be my better choice compared to the P220 Carry?

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Do not do it. The P220 carry is the second most perfect Sig following the P228.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno, maybe i'm a wuss.....but i find that the P220 with 8+1 is HEAVY. I love the gun but It seems it doesn't get the attention it
deserves as a carry gun because of this.

I have been tossing around the following: Keep the Sig for the house and sell the POS ultralight 38 and get one of the following:

LC9s Pro (really like the looks of this)
M&P Shield
Glock 43
HK VP9 SK
Walther CCP

I really like the featyres of the Ruger, and at 17oz it's nearly a pocket gun.
And...it's on sale for $285

Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
You have a P220 Carry with a beavertail?

I'm intrigued by this thread as I've been considering picking up a P220 Carry for EDC.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:
You have a P220 Carry with a beavertail?

I'm intrigued by this thread as I've been considering picking up a P220 Carry for EDC.

Yes, I bought it new back in 2009 or so. I can't seem to find much information on it, but it's a SAO with beavertail. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's a beautiful feeling and shooting gun, it's just to me like carrying a brick.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Regarding the P220 Carry; if the gun does nothing for you, sell it and don't look back. If you're wanting to maximize the money you could get, definitely don't sell or trade it in to a dealer for something else; that will wind up a horrible bloodletting. A private sale will net the most, though there's often the uncertainty about the credentials of the previously unknown-to-you buyer. Consignment is usually a satisfactory medium, as long as you don't have to have the money right away.

quote:
You will ALWAYS get low balled trading in a gun at a retail gun shop.

Fact is, the average LGS can't help it. It's almost always giving up hard cash up front with some amount of uncertainty that the item will sell in a timely manner. Trading in towards a new gun is almost just as bad; aside from the recent spate of M&P Shields (aka 'I pretty much know about what PSA paid for all them Shields, and I'm envious of the margins that they made even with their "deep discounts"'), profit margins are usually tight with minimal wiggle room. Any circumstance where the dealer is potentially negotiating away already meager profits will never go well for the seller of the used gun. It comes down to a scenario when and if the shop speculates wrong on the used gun, it could sit for months or only sell after deep discounting, pretty much making such a 'buy' hardly seem worth the trouble. 'Fair market' doesn't mean squat if no one is out there buying at that level. Ask me how I know.

Frankly, the bringing in of new guns for shops is almost always the safer, more profitable route as long as the right guns (i.e., popular) can be acquired. Factory and distributor approved shops generally get good finance terms (often 60 to 90 days upon shipping). Plenty of time for them to try to sell the guns before the dealer actually has to pay for them. Considering the aforementioned mediocre margins with new guns it definitely helps towards keeping shops afloat.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
OK, I have a 220 Carry and a 320sc. I carry either depending on my attire, etc. that day. The 320sc is infinitely easier/more comfortable to conceal on an every day basis, but the 220 is more "comforting" to carry. Wink

Sell the 220 Carry and pick up a 320sc (or ANY other gun) that you will carry EVERY day!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post