SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Maintenance is overrated.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maintenance is overrated..... Login/Join 
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted
Prior to this match I took a High Threat Vehicle Course. Mud, sand, glass and water and about 500 rounds.
In the class I saw pistols choke, not once did the 92 skip a beat. I don't think the class expected the pistols to be tested in the environment like they were. If you want to test a pistol, taking a course like above will do the trick, not like dunking it in water till the bubbles stop. Firing 10 rounds and then pressing each side into sand. Want to validate your gun? Train with it. Anyway, I took the 92 to the match the next day with no maintenance on the pistol or mags.

1st in my class
4th overall out of 65 Shooters
Stock Service Pistol

Link to video

This message has been edited. Last edited by: piedrarc,

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sweet... I'd love to humiliate myself on a course someday.

Was that a Wilson? Did you give it any personal TLC?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
It's a 92A1 with a 4.5lb Single action and 7lb double action. I did the trigger job.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
That's my boy! Great shooting!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
As always, a pleasure watching you operate a Beretta. Thanks for posting.

Great shooting!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice job my man. Those stages looked more USPSA like than IDPA. Have to love those 50 yard stages. I shot a USPSA match a couple of years ago that had a 50 yard standards course on it. Taping was easy but it got really old walking 50 yards in soft sand after each shooter to paste and score the targets.

I've never seen so many people zero a stage before.

I'd leave that 92A1 dirty. Looks like it is functioning fine and the dirt is a good look. Big Grin

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Training to keep your pistol out of the crap might be just as useful.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

If you don't depend on a pistol everyday, I'd agree. I guess if rain is in the forecast we could say.... ah, lets skip the range today.

I can't. So the always "keep" your gun out of adverse conditions or train to keep it that way doesn't apply.

The internet sometimes relies on false tests. Guys and gals will watch a video that tells them the gun "passed" an unrealistic test. Training in adverse weather can create obstacles that people often overlook. Like gear setup and placement, debris that happens in and about vehicles.

I get it though, if you don't think its practical for what you do, thats your decision. Rock on.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

Swing and a miss.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Love to watch you shoot. I shot SSP yesterday with my P226 and placed first in my division and 7th overall (if you leave out the PCC guys) but you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I am. Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thought there was a new rule about the max distance allowed for target placement? 50 yards is fun though.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, after spending some time in some caves in a lot of sand, I found that the HK USP I was wearing was locked up tight. Bad time to find out.

I hear a lot of "it's to be carried a lot and shot a little," which I think is idiotic reasoning. Train like you fight.

It's possible to keep a pistol clean and dry under a tee shirt when it's worn to the movies for a couple of hours in the evening. The same is not necessarily true of field conditions.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Love to watch you shoot. I shot SSP yesterday with my P226 and placed first in my division and 7th overall (if you leave out the PCC guys) but you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I am. Big Grin

Thanks and Congrats! That's awesome. We have some extremely talented shooters out there. It is competitive.

quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Thought there was a new rule about the max distance allowed for target placement? 50 yards is fun though.

I know I should keep up with all that, but it really comes down to having a little fun. I'm not sure of the new distance rules, but the people who put this on go to national matches and such so they are sticklers for rules. Those rule books are as exciting as reading shampoo ingredients.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

posted Hide Post
Good job and congratulations!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Screw stage 4, first I can't see that far, second I wouldn't want to paste that. Very USPSAish match.

Nice shooting though!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Screw stage 4!

That's the fun stuff.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Screw stage 4!

That's the fun stuff.

Humbling stuff too! The average was 30 down on that stage.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I'll be looking forward to the shoot when I get home, can't watch the stages at work; always enjoy your vids.

Wish more of this went on in my neck of the woods.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting. Thank you for sharing.

Early on at TDI, I took a level one class. Now keep in mind, their literature says, "bring rain gear, we shoot rain or shine".

The first couple of hours were in the classroom and it was raining. it came time to go to the range and the sky opened up. I mean monsoon kind of shit.

John said, "grab your gear, it's time to go".

Some of the class thought he was kidding. nope!

Even with the ran gear I had (in the early 90's), I was drenched at the end of the class.

It was the only failure I have ever had with my Glock 21. The failure came after shooting over 500 rounds of aluminum Blazer. My gun was filthy and it was full of shit and rain. This was one time, I did not fault the gun.

John pointed out, we do not get to pick where and when we may be involved in a gun fight.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post