SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    165gr self defense round in .45acp?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

165gr self defense round in .45acp? Login/Join 
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
230 grain JHPs or Speer Gold Dot 200 grain +P

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have hit my thumb with a 22 oz. Estwing framing hammer, and once with a 3 lb. sledge hammer.

I can swing the Estwing at a much faster speed than the sledge.

Let me say, that I was good to go after lunch with the Estwing strike, but with the sledge strike, it was weeks before I even let my thumb out for potty walks.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
It is 165gr that I am inquiring about. Lower recoil, back on target quicker, etc

Have you shot them and that was your findings? Or are you just assuming that will be the results?

I shoot 200gr Hornady's in my G36 because they hit closer to POA. I prefer the feel of 230's.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I used to carry Cor-Bon 185 gr, they were damned close to 10mm at 1150fps (ST 175gr @ 1250fps) this was before the 10mm boutique ammo became readily available

but in a 5" 1911 I have gone back to 230gr...HST specifically

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Originally posted by az4783054:
It is 165gr that I am inquiring about. Lower recoil, back on target quicker, etc

quote:
Have you shot them and that was your findings? Or are you just assuming that will be the results?

I shoot 200gr Hornady's in my G36 because they hit closer to POA. I prefer the feel of 230's.

Yes, I have personally experienced 165gr FEDERAL Hydra Shok. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but compared to 230gr FEDERAL HST, both in a DAN WESSON and a KIMBER, the 165gr did seem to have a little less recoil. Take that for what it's worth because I'm well aware everyone is different. Is it as effective? I don't know, that's why I asked. I'm just trying to learn something from people who probably shoot 1911 more than I do.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post