SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    165gr self defense round in .45acp?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

165gr self defense round in .45acp? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted
I know that most seem to prefer 230gr rounds in their .45acp 5" 1911.

For those who carry a 4-4.25" Commander, can a good argument be made that a 165gr round is a valid choice?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Can't help you, as I carry Federal HST 230gr +p in my 4.25 inch 1911s. Sig and DW VBOB.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
A long time ago, I shot some 185 gr. STHP into water filled jugs. Shot from a 4.4" P-220.

The results were ok, but nothing like the 230 Gr. Black Talon or the 230 gr. Golden Saber.

While I would not feel at a disadvantage with the 185, given a choice, I would first choose a 230 gr.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I just noticed my title said 185gr and text said 165gr. I know that 185gr is (for many) an acceptable option to 230gr.

It is 165gr that I am inquiring about. Lower recoil, back on target quicker, etc

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's a pity that Federal doesn't state how long a barrel they used to get the velocity they did out of their HST and Guard Dog loads. On paper they seem to resemble some of the better .40 S&W loads out there.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These results include 165 grain.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the Mas Ayoob camp on this one. If a round doesn't have a decent number of shootings behind it, I'll pass. Not interested in being a Beta tester.

I have a Colt LW Cmdr and a Wilson Pro. My carry round is either Federal H-S or HST 230 gr.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ 1,087 fps from what appears to be the Guard Dog equivalent, and 964 fps from the HST, both from a 4" barrel. That really does kinda sound like a healthy .40 S&W load to me.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
If I ever carry my Commander I will use 200gr. Ammo (Gold Dot or XTP). The 165gr. Just seems too light.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
165 seems light to me. 200 or 230 for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why? You can carry a 158 gr .38 7 round revolver with the same results. IMHO, the .45ACP is most effective with 230 gr lead, but I am old. I often carry 230 gr ball. You can argue ballistics all day long, but the most effective round is the one in your magazine at the time you need it. Buy reasonable ammo and spend a LOT of time shooting it. A well placed .22 beats a miss with a .44 every time,

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Even an all copper Barnes runs 185 grains. Cross sectional density of 165 grain 45 would not good. I tend to be "fast and light" (155 grain .40) but in a 45 I am not looking for great hard barrier performance, I would stick with a 357 Sig for that.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to shoot 165gr bullets, I would use one of my 40's. Lots more ammo choices, and more rounds in the same size gun.

For 45's, I like 230gr bullets in mid and full size guns. In subcompact guns like my XDS, I like 200gr bullets. Hornady's 200gr XTP ammo is one of my favorites.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^^ 1,087 fps from what appears to be the Guard Dog equivalent, and 964 fps from the HST, both from a 4" barrel. That really does kinda sound like a healthy .40 S&W load to me.

My initial thoughts were "why not just get a 40?"

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Its a fast round no doubt. I prefer a heavier bullet in that caliber however..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not apples to apples here, but my backyard ballistics tests showed the fast and light .40 155gr failed to expand (HST), while the only 165-185gr failure was Hornady Critical Defense.

Ultimately, I looked at the results I got, plus what I got shooting 3 gun, the distance/energy graph, added a little pixie dust and divided by zero and went with 165gr Gold Dots.

My advice: get what you know works. It's "fun" to micro analayze things like caliber and bullet weight, but in a DGU your ammo choice isn't going to win the day for you. Your awareness, choice of reaction, reaction speed, determination and probably a lot of dumb luck are going to be much, MUCH more important that what pill came out the barrel.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
230gr only. What God and John Moses Browning intended! Figured I would say it first Razz

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Mr Browning, Colt, and Winchester started out with a 200 gr .45 bullet in 1905.
That is what I carry.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Try Liberty defense 45. 78 grn at 1900fps. Just thought I'd stir the pot!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used 165gr and 185gr self defense ammo in the Colt New Agent with good accuracy results.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post