SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Weapon Lights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weapon Lights Login/Join 
posted
I need to purchase 3 WML's for a class. Could the hive mind recommend a particular unit and vendor? I currently have an old TLR1s. Works great, but I have no idea whats the latest development in this arena. THANKS!

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, the newer ones have an HL designation for High Lumen, and have been offered in 650 and 800 lumen versions. I have one of each, and keep the 650 lumen version in the headboard and it goes on the Glock at the end of the day when I unholster. The 800 lumen version stays on my rifle.
As for how they both perform, there is a somewhat noticeable difference in brightness, but the biggest difference is in the beam shape and hotspot size. The 650 version has a diamond-shaped beam and a smaller hotspot, the 800 lumen version has a wider, round beam and larger hotspot. I made my decision about which one goes on which gun based on that, and not the lumens.

If you’re comfortable with the Streamlight and like how they operate, I would recommend either version with the caveat that I think the 800 lumen version has a better beam, but either would serve you well. I know there’s respected members here who won’t mess with anything but a Surefire and for their own good reasons, but I can afford what I can afford, and so far, they’re working well for me. Ymmv.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Go with the TLR-1HL.

The Streamlight TLR-1 series and Surefire X300 series are the two big names in contemporary handgun weaponlights. The thing is, the TLR-1 series has 95+% of the features and ruggedness of the X300 series, at less than half the price.

All my handgun weaponlights, both personal and duty, are TLR-1s, with most being HLs.

As for vendor, looks like the TLR-1HL 800 lumen model is currently $104.08 shipped at Amazon, which was the best price I could find with a quick Google (by about $15-$20).

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...Lumens/dp/B00B8Q31UQ

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s less than I paid for mine. Kinda tempted to pick up another one now.

I was mistaken about the lower lumen version, it’s not 650, it’s 630. I know, not a huge difference, but in the interests of being accurate, I feel the need to mention it without just editing the prior post.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think they made the 630 lumen model anymore. I thought the 800 lumen was the only HL model they made, vs 300 lumens for the non-HL.

I am also a Streamlight fan. I have a TLR1HL on my night stand gun, a TLR1HL on my rifle at work, I'll have a TLR1HL on my duty gun when we get them next month, I carry 3 Streamlight handheld lights at work. They're great stuff. I don't think Surefire is 2x better than Streamlight, even though they're 2x more expensive.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
I didn't think they made the 630 lumen model anymore. I thought the 800 lumen was the only HL model they made, vs 300 lumens for the non-HL.

Likely they don’t, and I haven’t looked at WML’s in a while now, so my information is surely dated in that respect. I meant only to weigh in on what I’ve experienced with the Streamlights I own.

posted Hide Post
To me, the high lumen lights are too much for household use. Great if you're a cop, where you're more likely to use it outdoors. Inside, too much light can be blinding for you, not just the other guy. But to each their own.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used my 800 lumen TLR-1HLs indoors extensively, and have yet to be "blinded" by the output.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Streamlight TLR1 it is. THANK YOU for all of the input!

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:

Don’t count out the TLR-7 from streamlight. Small, compact and bright as faahkk

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
But also new and comparatively untested, with a shorter runtime and lower output than the TLR-1HL, and much less holster support.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
To me, the high lumen lights are too much for household use. Great if you're a cop, where you're more likely to use it outdoors. Inside, too much light can be blinding for you, not just the other guy. But to each their own.

Yeah... I don't agree. I've used mine plenty indoors in "try it out" scenarios. What you're asserting doesn't bear out, not in my experience. Do you have an 800 lumen weapon light that you've tried this with and have actual experience you can relate? Because if not....

My walls are painted white, just like almost anybody else. If your eyes are at all healthy, you will want the advantage the higher lumens give, and if they aren't, doubly so. Low lumens indoors as a mantra is starting to reach paraplegic wheelchair commando status. I wear -3.25 prescription contacts and with, or without corrective lenses, I'm fine after a split second of adjustment when the WML illuminates the whole room. We really might stand to benefit as a community from not perpetuating this nonsense.

quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:

Happy to help, hope it serves you well, sir. Smile

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've used my 800 lumen TLR-1HLs indoors extensively, and have yet to be "blinded" by the output.

Yeah, kicking doors is a pretty good lab to test the whole "blinding" theory. It just doesn't hold water.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My agency issues the TLR-1HL lights to all officers, last year several Officers had to clear a house which contained a subject armed with a knife who had assaulted a female. The subject was taken into custody. All of the guys on that call had nothing but good things to say about having the weapon mounted light.The combination of good tactics/ intermittent use of light and good lights helped the officers to succeed on that call.YMMV

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I think ANY light will be blinding if you're awaken in the middle of the night, groggy and not quite fully there in the moment. But of course that's assuming that you've gathered your faculties well enough to even REMEMBER that there's a light on your weapon. Jus' sayin'...

A light, tactical sleeper I ain't. Just turning on the bathroom light on a stumblin' bumblin' trip to the can is enough to get all squinty-eyed.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a TLR-1 HL

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
TLR7 was my recent choice. Nothing bad to say about the other lights suggested because I have no personal experience with them. I like the lighter, compact design of the TLR7 and the 500 lumens output.

If you have short fingers, the TLR-7 might not be as good a choice as others.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lumens don't matter all that much. It is frustrating to me (the lumen war) because beam shape is what is really important and there isn't a focus (ha!) on that or many beam choices.

Ideally, if the performance focus was on beam shape, then the makers would offer at least 2, if not 3 different beam types for each model. The beam should match the use.

On a nightstand HD gun, a flood beam would be ideal. 1500 lumens wouldn't be too bright since it will more evenly be lighting a much larger area.

For LE use which is mixed between close quarters and large interior spaces plus outdoor spaces, the GP (general purpose) beam shape that is the current defacto standard is great. This standard beam is also good for a civilian AR that may be used for a mix of indoor/outdoor.

Finally, a more spot version for more open terrain.

I'm not saying you would switch, but you could better tailor the light to the weapon and most likely use. The small WML and flood beam goes on the carry gun. The full size, 800-1,000 lumen monster with the medium range beam is overkill for a carry gun but great on an AR or duty pistol.

Elzetta offers both a GP beam and flood beam option on their builds which is great.

Another option could be a WML with the GP beam paired with a handheld flood. Search with handheld flood, engage with the WML.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an X300 ultra on my duty gun (600 lumens I believe) but I also have some older 200 lumen lights on some other guns that do just fine inside buildings. If money is a concern you could try Olight. I have one mounted on my MPX but I haven't put it through anything extensive to test it.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We've standardized everyone on the TLR-1 HL 800 lumen version for all new incoming officers.

Mine has been abused and used for awhile and works very well.

I've standardized my off duty/home guns on the TLR-7.

You can usually get the TLR-1 HL on sale from Amazon for just over $100.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post