SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger SR22 or Walther P22?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR22 or Walther P22? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

Ok. Thank you. Does the compact have an adapter for a silencer like the other two?

Yes, I have a Compact that I run suppressed about 98% of the time, works very well. The model you’re looking for to get the threaded version is 10199.

Just be aware that there is a difference in the full size M&P22 and the M&P22 Compact. The full size being an outsourced firearm produced for S&W, whereas the M&Pc is an in-house product and is far superior. Slightly confusing for anyone that doesn’t know the difference. The full size is tempting as it can be had with a threaded barrel as well and 12 round mags vs. the 10 round mags of the Compact, however the quality on the full size is near that of the P22, which is to say very poor.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

Ok. Thank you. Does the compact have an adapter for a silencer like the other two?

Yes, I have a Compact that I run suppressed about 98% of the time, works very well. The model you’re looking for to get the threaded version is 10199.

Just be aware that there is a difference in the full size M&P22 and the M&P22 Compact. The full size being an outsourced firearm produced for S&W, whereas the M&Pc is an in-house product and is far superior. Slightly confusing for anyone that doesn’t know the difference. The full size is tempting as it can be had with a threaded barrel as well and 12 round mags vs. the 10 round mags of the Compact, however the quality on the full size is near that of the P22, which is to say very poor.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem I have with the SR22 is that the safety works backwards - up to fire. Mine is reliable with SV and HV.

As others have noted, my favorite in this size is the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact.

The Walther PPQ 22's work well, but the grip seems to be larger than the Smith.

All of the above can work with suppressors with the right adapter.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing about the SR-22 safety at first...but after carrying it for a while it , I started using the safety as a decocker only...think of it like a P series Sig...I always carry it hammer down, safety up....red showing...perfectly safe, it IS a double action auto..the only time I use the "safety" is to decock the action

Posts: 44 | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I am intrigued by the s&w m&p compact 22. I hope to go look at one soon.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Plastic M&P Compact .22.
It is thus far 100% with fresh HV and with a few hundred fired to "break in" it ran some SV recently.

A friend likes the Ruger.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The earliest P22s were generally reliable guns, but those were actually made by Walther. When production was transferred over to the Arnsberg plant and Umarex, that's when that gun's woes took hold.

Does anyone know how to tell which is which? Serial # range? Are there certain markings on the gun or box?

I impulse bought one years ago when I was bored being off work after shoulder surgery. I sighted it in and didn't have any problems with it but the controls are so different from every other pistol I own I never really warmed up to it.
My Advantage Arms Glock conversion got a lot more use!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Ruger SR22 for about 4 years, probably 8k rounds through it. I have used Remington, Winchester, America eagle, and several versions of Federal ammo. I have only had a handful of hiccups. Super happy with it and would buy again.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not bashing Ruger. God knows how much money I've spent with Ruger over the last 40+ years.

With that being said
I've gotten so bitter or maybe disgusted is a better word with Ruger. 4 brand new Ruger's replaced due to un-repairable defects in the last 3yrs or so.
Over the last several years their quality has really gotten bad. Reading this about the SR22 really doesn't surprise me. It does with the Walter complaints though. I am so grateful most of my Ruger's are from when Bill Ruger was still at the helm running the show.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Smith compact. Having had all three the Smith was the only that worked best for my kids. Especially suppressed. It also helps them migrate to larger caliber Smiths but my kids went Glock then I switched them to HKs (both are lefties). They might go back to Glock if I get a gen5 in for them to try.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I have the Plastic M&P Compact .22.
It is thus far 100% with fresh HV and with a few hundred fired to "break in" it ran some SV recently.

A friend likes the Ruger.

Since I’m new to these is there a different, metal compact 22?

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Well, I just got a Walter P22. It was used and I traded a Taurus 85. The Walter was $219 and my trade was $150. I shot it at the store. I’m pretty happy with it

posted Hide Post
I had a walther p22 when they first came out. No problems whatsoever and my brother uses it with a suppressor nowadays. I will be getting a 5" comp model for my 11y/o daughter to get into shooting. Never shot the ruger sr22. Like anything QC probably varies too much on the cheap stuff.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I just realized that I got a P22Q. So far so good except I did put a volquartzen extractor in. I had a couple failure to eject issues. Hopefully , that’ll fix it.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for the sr22. Mine has been excellent. It's as reliable as a semi auto .22 can possibly be. Right up there with my old mark 2 which runs like a sewing machine.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post