SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger SR22 or Walther P22?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR22 or Walther P22? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I’d like to get one of these to train my kiddos
To shoot pistols. I like the idea of being able to attach a silencer in the future. Besides a S&W or glock conversion kit I don’t know of any striker fired .22 semi autos.

Thoughts on these pistols? Suggestions are appreciated as well.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Both are ammo sensitive and only operate well with hot 22 ammo. Traded a Walther P22 and some cash last summer for a M&P Compact 22. Couldn't get the Walther to run consistently. The M&P cycles anything I shoot through it, even when suppressed.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
My SR22 is NOT ammo sensitive at all. Every time I have seen the SR22 get discussed everyone loves it and says it feeds everything... the above is the first I've seen otherwise. The little bit of research I've done of the P22, on the other hand, has been fairly negative. I vote SR22 all day, and while you're at at pick up some Tandemkross +5 bumpers which are awesome too.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Walther P22 years ago when they first came out. Wanted to love it. It was a disaster. Even after being sent to factory it was junk. Sold it for a loss.

My favorite auto 22’s in order are Beretta 87, CZ Kadet, any flavor of Ruger Std Auto.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Walther was junk. It made 3 warranty trips to S&W, and finally ran right. I sold in and bought the Ruger. Caught a sale two weeks later and bought another. No regrets, both work very well with whatever ammo I have.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My only experience is with my SR22. I liked it so much I bought my step-brother's as well. My step-brother's has had some FTF issues but I attribute that to my 10 year old nephew limp wristing it prior to me buying it. I am now only buying jacketed 22 ammo but my 1st SR22 has fed everything I put in it with no problems whatsoever.

As for the Tandemkross bumpers JBird679 referenced, I didn't like them - the extension felt very cheap to me and made the mags look weird. I got new 3 round followers from Taylor Tactical and they work well for me.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:
My SR22 is NOT ammo sensitive at all. Every time I have seen the SR22 get discussed everyone loves it and says it feeds everything... the above is the first I've seen otherwise. The little bit of research I've done of the P22, on the other hand, has been fairly negative. I vote SR22 all day, and while you're at at pick up some Tandemkross +5 bumpers which are awesome too.

I work part time in the winters on the weekends at my buddy's shooting range and gun shop. They have several SR22's as a rentals. It absolutely IS ammo sensitive. To the point they won't rent one unless they purchase the hotter range ammo.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SR22 has always had a hang up of some sort with everything I have tried. Failures to feed with HP’s, closing on an empty chamber (overriding a round in the mag), etc. It’s been a real dog - I’ve never been able to get 50 rounds through it without a failure of some sort. OTOH - I picked up an M&P Compact – and it has been perfect and more accurate to boot. That said - everyone else I have spoken to at the range has had zero problems with there SR 22 – I guess I got a lemon.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Both are ammo sensitive and only operate well with hot 22 ammo. Traded a Walther P22 and some cash last summer for a M&P Compact 22. Couldn't get the Walther to run consistently. The M&P cycles anything I shoot through it, even when suppressed.

M

How is the size of the compact? It’s for my kids and I don’t want it to be too big.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
quote:

M

How is the size of the compact? It’s for my kids and I don’t want it to be too big.

The M&P isn't very big at all. It shouldn't be an issue.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
quote:

M

The M&P isn't very big at all. It shouldn't be an issue.

Ok. Thank you. Does the compact have an adapter for a silencer like the other two?

posted Hide Post
My SR22 eats ANYTHING I feed it. It's been excellent.

Based on my experience I recommended it to a friend and he loves his too.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Walther P22 and a Walther PPQ 22. I’d suggest the new PPQ 22. It’s more accurate and the controls, trigger, and ergonomics are really a PPQ M2. If I was going to buy just one .22 pistol, I’d look for a Ruger Mark II or the new Mark IV.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The Ruger over Walther all day, every day. I have really enjoyed my SR22.

BTW: The Beretta NEOS is striker fired and a heck of a lot of fun.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
DISCLAIMER
I am a Walther-O-Holic.

SR22>P22

I don't even have to remind myself that the P22 is an Umarex not a Walther. If I could have one for free, I would take the "Walther" anyway. If I had to pay I would save the money for something else.

Posts: 609 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Based on the number of broken slides I've seen on P22 Walthers, I believe the "P" stands for pot-metal.

Maybe they have redesigned the slide to reduce the likelihood of breakage but the early guns didn't seem to be made for heavy use.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ammo sensitive? Most definitely on the Umarex P22, customarily definitely NOT so with the Ruger. Unlike the usually POS P22, I've not had any customer complain about stoppages through their SR22 EXCEPT around roughly 2013-2014 or so, when Federal/American Eagle had a large run of their so-called 'high velocity' ammo that turned out to be SO bad that it choked the living daylights out of pretty much every semi auto pistol and rifle that it was tried in, including SR22s. Even in normally reliable 10/22s and Ruger Mks/Standards this crappiest of ammo caused frequent stoppages. To this day we have customers who now refuse to buy this brand of ammo, and this boycott isn't limited to just 22LR because their experiences with their rimfire guns was that bad.

For myself that's the only time my SR22 had any problem with any ammo that is supposed to have enough rated power to cycle the action. So Quiet-22s and like loads don't count. It keeps going with the dirtiest 22LR, with subsonic standard velocity, with target power level loads and with so-called suppressor loads. The only knock I have with the SR22 in general is that the quality its rifling isn't always as good as it probably should be from the manufacturing process. I've not had any flagrant accuracy issues with my example, but through others I'm fairly certain that there was a few out there that got lemons for barrels.

We heard occasional complaints from customers on how poorly some of their Ruger SR22s grouped, most of these reports occurring about 2-3 years ago. At least a couple of these guns were sent back to Ruger by us on behalf of our customers and 'work' was done on them. One customer reported that he was certain that his barrel was replaced based on what he inspected when the gun came back. But whatever was done, we didn't hear anything further from him so it's presumed that he was satisfied with the results.

The earliest P22s were generally reliable guns, but those were actually made by Walther. When production was transferred over to the Arnsberg plant and Umarex, that's when that gun's woes took hold. As for the American-made M&P 22 Compact, it does has a well established reputation for reliability. I don't believe we've ever had any complaints of problems except with folks who shot any of that garbage American Eagle run through their S&Ws. Hell, even my normally reliable Victory and Buck Mark choked on that shitty ammo, and I still have about 400 rounds left of that trash.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR-22 hands down , all day long , no contest...!!... I have had both...I no longer have a P-22

Posts: 44 | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
From everything I've read: Most definitely not the P22. The PPQ 22 is supposed to be decent, though. Don't know anything about the SR22.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My SR22 shoots great. The only issue I've had with it is that it won't extract a live (or dud) round...its almost like the extractor doesn't have enough tension to grab the rim and pull the round out of the chamber. It extracts fired rounds just fine, though.

I have yet to experience a misfeed or FTE of a fired round in it...and we've shot well over 1000 rounds through it, including some really crappy Remington Thunderbolts.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post