SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought a Henry today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Henry today Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a new Henry ‘Big Boy’ Steel lever gun in .38/.357. I saw it at the fun store about a month ago, checked it out & really liked it but wasn’t sure I wanted to spend the money. Had a very nice stock with good fit-n-finish and a really nice trigger. When I went back a couple of weeks later it was gone.

The counter guy recommended I put in a special order with little idea how long it might be before they received any more due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call over the weekend because my special order had arrived!

I have never owned a Henry before, or a lever gun for that matter. I am really impressed with the fit-n-finish of this rifle and with the wood which is really nice. The trigger is a bit heavier and not quite as smooth as I remember the prior one having but did lighten up and smooth out with just a little dry-firing. I am looking forward to having fun plinking with it and possibly doing a bit of deer hunting. Unfortunately there wasn’t one round of ammo in the store for my new Henry. While I have wanted a Browning BLR in .308 for a long time there was a Henry ‘Long Ranger’ chambered in .308 there with a very smooth action and an exquisite wood stock. Very tempting!!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new Henry

They make a quality firearm.

I love the nostalgia that lever guns bring to life and own many including two Henrys

The Browning BLR is in a class of it's own. Mine is super smooth and quite accurate.

Do not give up your quest to find one as I am certain you will be happy once you get your BLR

And do not forget to post some photos of your new Henry so we can all enjoy it too

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Henry 38/357 All Weather last year and it quickly became my favorite long gun. The large loop made a nice difference and the sling should come in this week.

It's a perfect compliment to the GP100's. I seriously suspect you'll love your new Henry as well. Be sure to post a Range Report once you get to take it out.

Two more things, Henry's tend to multiply once you get your first. Hi Viz sights helped me with my All Weather.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice! A lever-action in .38/.357 is a hoot to shoot...and very versatile. You can shoot anything from powderpuff .38s (that recoil about like a .22) all the way up to heavy .357 mag loads that make that rifle a decent option for deer and other mid-size game. I have a bunch of leverguns, and my Marlin 1894 in .357 was my first, and the one that started it all. Fair warning, though...the desire to accumulate more can rapidly become expensive Big Grin!

Oh, and...

Posts: 8546 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll love it.....I have a Steel in .357 and a Golden in 44 Mag. My old eyes had problems with the rear sight so I put Skinner Peeps on both and I can shoot with consistency now, what a difference the peep makes. Good luck and have fun !

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'll add my $.02 and concur with Genorogers about the peep sights. Some of my older lever guns still wear the buckhorns to satisfy my traditionalist tendencies, but I've installed peep sights on a couple of the newer ones that I plan to hunt with. I've found that the peeps give me nearly the same accuracy potential as a scope at the ranges I intend to use these rifles, without all the added weight and bulk...and they provide faster acquisition.

Posts: 8546 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have recently discovered that my eyes aren’t what they used to be also. I bought an M1a earlier in the year and my shooting left a lot to be desired! I may eventually scope the M1a but a red dot might be the future option for this Henry if I don’t take kindly to the sights. First thing’s first....gotta find some ammo!!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
You DO know this is the "pistol" thread - right? Big Grin

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

Yeah...ya know that is a good point Roll Eyes. I am such a doof. My bad.

posted Hide Post

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Winning!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty! I love a straight stock on a lever-action. You're going to enjoy that rifle!

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
A buddy just brought a Henry Sideloader .38/.357 with a black synthetic stock and fiber optic sights.

I made a big mistake this past Sunday and shot it. Now I'm going crazy trying to figure out how I can justify buying one for myself!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

Yeah...ya know that is a good point Roll Eyes. I am such a doof. My bad.

The moderators will move threads if you ask them.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Henry !
I've been eyeballing the Big Boy Steel in .44 Mag myself.

I actually have my first lever gun at Cabela's ready to be picked up.
Marlin Classic 45-70 22"
Almost free with my Cabela's Bucks !

Going to mount a Ranger Point Precision standard peep sight.
Skinner also makes a nice peep sight.

Montana Slings has my classic (non-cobra) sling as well.

ETA
Ranger Point Precision and Wild West Guns have
big loop levers that are drop-in, FYI

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
congrats on the Henry! you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have an Uberti 1873 in .38/357 case hardened and octagon barrel...terribly accurate and fun caliber out of along gun.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS had a Henry Lever .22 in the rack. Used but appears unfired. $250. It mine now!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Click bait! You had me thinking that Henry was doing handguns. Wink

Congrats on your new "baby". And to the ones to come. Big Grin

-MG

Posts: 1981 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My LGS had a Henry Lever .22 in the rack. Used but appears unfired. $250. It mine now!

Nice score at a great price!! I am sure it will shoot lights out.