SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought a Henry today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Henry today Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Click bait! You had me thinking that Henry was doing handguns. Wink

Congrats on your new "baby". And to the ones to come. Big Grin

Sorry about that Razz. My bad. Looks like Henry is a hot topic, even on a SIG pistol forum

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Henry makes a great gun for the money.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will like that new rifle.
I bought my wife a Henry Golden Boy .22 for Christmas one year.(she asked for it)
It is a great little rifle. The sights were dead on out of the box.
After that, she bought me a Henry Golden big Boy.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I hope to have a Henry some day...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There aren't many guns more fun than a .357 lever gun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Until recently, lever guns haven't really been of interest to me but I just purchased a Marlin 1893 SBL in 44 magnum. Can hardly wait to shoot it. Have fun shooting yours!

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
congrats on the Henry! you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have an Uberti 1873 in .38/357 case hardened and octagon barrel...terribly accurate and fun caliber out of along gun.

Dang that's a beauty, Uberti makes some great reproductions.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
thanks Trojan, and yes Uberti makes some fantastic guns and my crappy pics don't do them justice

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, bet you will really like shooting it. I've been shooting a Henry in 327, it's a lot of fun. I went with the carbine with the large lever, basically the long gun to go with my 327 Rugers.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Congratulations, bet you will really like shooting it. I've been shooting a Henry in 327, it's a lot of fun. I went with the carbine with the large lever, basically the long gun to go with my 327 Rugers.

Unfortunately there isn't a single round of .357 mag to be found in my area, so I haven't had a chance to shoot it.

I am considering buying a large lever for mine as I think I would prefer it. I am also considering whether I want to scope it, put a red dot on it or just leave the open sights.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why are we discussing Henry RIFLES in the PISTOLS section?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

As I answered to a similar post above, the short answer is because I can be a doof at times. No one seemed concerned enough to ask me to ask that it be moved to the rifle forum. All respondents seemed happy to participate in the thread and let me slide for posting it in the wrong place, although I did get teased a few times. Good people here.

Longer answer is, and this isn’t an excuse but a reality, is that I was brain dead when I posted this. I rarely post these kinds of posts in forums anymore, and quite frankly this is the only part of this great forum that I ever frequent. After a long illness, a long vigil, and several nights where I was up to 1 am, 2 am & 3 am and countless hours by my Dads bedside where he was close to death I posted this a few days after he had died. I was physically and emotionally spent and wasn’t thinking when I posted this after I bought my Henry.

If anyone would like I will request that it be moved. Sincerely though, thank you all for participating in my thread. It was a really nice distraction.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
quote:

As I answered to a similar post above, the short answer is because I can be a doof at times. No one seemed concerned enough to ask me to ask that it be moved to the rifle forum. All respondents seemed happy to participate in the thread and let me slide for posting it in the wrong place, although I did get teased a few times. Good people here.

Longer answer is, and this isn’t an excuse but a reality, is that I was brain dead when I posted this. I rarely post these kinds of posts in forums anymore, and quite frankly this is the only part of this great forum that I ever frequent. After a long illness, a long vigil, and several nights where I was up to 1 am, 2 am & 3 am and countless hours by my Dads bedside where he was close to death I posted this a few days after he had died. I was physically and emotionally spent and wasn’t thinking when I posted this after I bought my Henry.

If anyone would like I will request that it be moved. Sincerely though, thank you all for participating in my thread. It was a really nice distraction.

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.
It was timely for me as I recently acquired my first lever gun, a Marlin 45-70 22".
I now want a Henry Big Boy Steel in .44 Mag and a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.

Sorry to hear of your dad's passing.
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. I have a Henry in .45 Colt, the .38/.357 is next on my wish list.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:
quote:

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.
It was timely for me as I recently acquired my first lever gun, a Marlin 45-70 22".
I now want a Henry Big Boy Steel in .44 Mag and a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.

Sorry to hear of your dad's passing.
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Thank you. It was a long, rough road, and my Dad was a tough man.

I still haven’t found any ammo for my new Henry. Hopefully this weekend.

posted Hide Post
WELL...... found some ammo, kinda;-}. No .357 mag to be found but I was able to buy 2 boxes of .38spl. Off to the range to shoot the new Henry and to sight in the new Vortex red dot on the Buckmark.

posted Hide Post
quote:
WELL...... found some ammo, kinda;-}. No .357 mag to be found but I was able to buy 2 boxes of .38spl. Off to the range to shoot the new Henry and to sight in the new Vortex red dot on the Buckmark.

Like ^^^
If you don't mind buying on line, SGAmmo is great family-run ammo supply house in OK.
They ship UPS and you can have your ammo held at a UPS facility.
https://www.sgammo.com/product...nse-line-ammo-ppd357

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They typically like a 158 grain bullet and of course, a flat tip. I run Federal 158 grain JSP in my 357 Henry All Weather. I’ve never shot .38 Spl in mine. Looking forward to your range report.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally had a chance to shoot the new Henry today, and as an added bonus I actually was able to feed it some .357 mag ammo! When talking to the counter guy, answering what calibers I was shooting he was kind of puzzled when I told him I was shooting .38spl through the rifle. I told him what it was and that I was unable to find any .357 so he promptly grabbed a box of Winchester for me! Wasn’t cheap at $42/box but I couldn’t be too choosy.

Rifle ran very well as long as I worked the lever with authority and didn’t tip the rifle when racking the lever. A couple times the .38spl fed with a bit of a bobble but the .357 fed fine. I won’t bother with group sizes because the old eyes just aren’t there anymore but group sizes were pretty good for me under the conditions I was shooting, with some 5 round groups touching. I was shooting Winchester .38spl 130gr Fmj and .357 mag 110gr hollow points, and everything shot several inches to the left, so I will have to drift the rear sight. At some point in the future I will either scope the Henry or mount a red dot, just not sure which yet.

At the end of the day the most important aspect of shooting this rifle is that it is a hoot! It is really fun with practically no recoil even when shooting the .357. My trigger isn’t as light as a couple of other Henrys I had checked out but it is very crisp with no over travel. I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to shooting it often in the future. I am leaning towards mounting a scope but don’t want to put a scope on it larger than the rifle! I am sure I will shoot it much better not using open sights.

I had an interesting experience sighting in my Vortex Venom red dot on my Buckmark. Initially it was shooting about 7-8 inches low and a few to the left. I cranked in some elevation and some windage but it was still shooting way low! I adjusted it almost all the way up, but had similar results. Very puzzling. After checking to make sure there was no problem with the mount I cranked it all the way down, shot a few rounds then almost all the way up, only to find it was then shooting a few inches high! I was able to get it dialed in finally, but that was kinda strange. It is a nice red dot for the money IMHO.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! I have a Rossi carbine in 357. Love it!! I can go to the range and plink all day for pennies! I cast and reload, so the cost is nil....although I can’t find anymore primers. I have about a 50 cal ammo can full of it .

You’re gonna love that little rifle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post