SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mas Ayoob - fingers safety tip
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mas Ayoob - fingers safety tip Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't do press checks, period. If, for some weird reason, I am unsure, I rack the slide. Better I should dump a round than loose a finger or two. I have been in high stress situations involving people shooting at me. Shit happens. Better it should not happen to me.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
The press check I do would never be at risk of losing a finger but I've seen youtube videos of the super tactical wannabe's doing an overhanded meat hand press check all the way in front by the muzzle that makes me cringe.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Wait a sec...dosen't Steven Segal press check his 1911's?

It must be good then Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
Press check = Steven Segal.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I press check and ensure the mag is full (and seated) each time before I holster my carry gun for the day. It is a slow and deliberate admin function.

I have witnessed more than 1 ND by people going through the motions fast either checking or clearing trying to look cool.

Things done quickly and complacently by rote get us into trouble. We are all suceptable to it, have to slow down and check your habits and mental awareness every once in awhile.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I pull the slide back a bit to check. I'm chicken, so I like not putting my hands near the muzzle or ejection port when I think there might be a bullet in the chamber. With 22Xs it's easy because there's plenty of flat, grooved surface to clamp on to, but I do seem to remember it being a little more difficult on the CZ75B.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Dollars to donuts the people mas is talking about weren't doing press checks. They were loading at speed or clearing malfunctions using foreward serrations. If you watch the top shooters in IPSC or USPSA a lot of them load on empty start stages using the front part of the slide pinched between the thumb and the first knuckle of the first finger of some variation.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I don't press check.

My EDC gets a full mag, insert, chamber, drop mag top off mag, re-insert mag, holster and leave it alone.

I live alone and no one touches my weapon and it's always under my control.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I pull the slide back a bit to check. I'm chicken, so I like not putting my hands near the muzzle or ejection port when I think there might be a bullet in the chamber. With 22Xs it's easy because there's plenty of flat, grooved surface to clamp on to, but I do seem to remember it being a little more difficult on the CZ75B.

CZ's and P210s both have slides that ride inside the frames. I have read claims that this improves accuracy. Be that as it may, it drastically reduces the real estate available for grabbing a hold of when you need to check, rack or clear.

I never use them, however, I like the front serrations. They're like pearls on a pig. No useful function, but they look pretty.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I like doing press checks, and I like using front serrations to avoid blocking my view (I actually had some machined into the slide of my P229R). I don't like the possibility of blowing a digit off. So I use the decocker mechanism simultaneously with pulling the hammer back. This engages the gun's own safety mechanisms. The weapon is never put into firing condition. Here's what I'm talking about...

It takes a bit of coordination at the "thumb crossing" point, but if done correctly should not overly-stress the internal components at all. And of course it only works on a pistol with a decocking lever. It's all worth it to save a finger.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Why do you need to pull the slide back so far? Just a quarter inch is sufficient to peek without the hammer even cocking.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I like doing press checks, and I like using front serrations to avoid blocking my view (I actually had some machined into the slide of my P229R). I don't like the possibility of blowing a digit off. So I use the decocker mechanism simultaneously with pulling the hammer back. This engages the gun's own safety mechanisms. The weapon is never put into firing condition. Here's what I'm talking about...

It takes a bit of coordination at the "thumb crossing" point, but if done correctly should not overly-stress the internal components at all. And of course it only works on a pistol with a decocking lever. It's all worth it to save a finger.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Why do you need to pull the slide back so far? Just a quarter inch is sufficient to peek without the hammer even cocking.

Yes, good point. I did that so it would show up in the video more clearly. (I used to post an earlier video that didn't show the chamber as clearly, and people complained where is the press check?)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, good point. I did that so it would show up in the video more clearly. (I used to post an earlier video that didn't show the chamber as clearly, and people complained where is the press check?)

Got it.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
kkina, is that your chop?

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me what?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Me what?

Your avatar.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Me what?

Your avatar.

Ah, yes, that is my family name in old Japanese font. I had the hanko made the first time I visited Tokyo.

Sigmonkey thinks it's really symbols of aliens landing.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I have a lot of respect for Ayoob, but to me this is just common sense.

Yeah but you gotta remember Ayoob doesn't just write articles for guys with experience. What is common sense to you may not be to a guy who is new to guns.

I mean sure it should be common sense to not out your fingers in front of the barrel but it doesn't hurt repeating I suppose.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Me what?

Your avatar.

Ah, yes, that is my family name in old Japanese font. I had the hanko made the first time I visited Tokyo.

Sigmonkey thinks it's really symbols of aliens landing.

Very nice.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I think press checks are for mall ninjas.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post