SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reliability of late model Sig P938
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reliability of late model Sig P938 Login/Join 
posted
Had a 938 a few years back and had a number of problems cycling HP ammo through it. After two trips back to Sig I gave up and sold it. Ended up with a Shield as my CCW. Never really warmed up to it. Since my other pistols (Browning HP & 226 SAO) I've been thinking of trying one again to stay with single action pistols. How is the reliability of the newer production 938"s?

Posts: 508 | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Like any gun, you always run the risk of getting a lemon. I had a Walther PPS that was the same way, 3 or trips back and I had to give it away. Definitely wouldnt try another one or buy another Walther for that matter. Lots of people have them with no issues so its probably just luck of the draw.

quote:
Originally posted by caryc:
Had a 938 a few years back and had a number of problems cycling HP ammo through it. After two trips back to Sig I gave up and sold it. Ended up with a Shield as my CCW. Never really warmed up to it. Since my other pistols (Browning HP & 226 SAO) I've been thinking of trying one again to stay with single action pistols. How is the reliability of the newer production 938"s?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May have just been that gun. I know a guy that got one when they came out and shot a box of every type of HP (HST, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, Critical Defense/Duty, and a few others) we had and it ran them all.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I love mine, especially after getting it back from Robert Burke. Awesome.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought mine last April and haven't had any issues. I was concerned after all that's been posted since it came out. I started with 124 and 147 grain early on because of issues that I read about using 115 before its broken in.

Posts: 8 | Registered: October 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Like you I had one a couple of years ago. Last week I decided to try it again. Picked up a BNIB Extreme here on the forum. So far one range visit was a success. After another dozen, I'll let you know for sure. Wink

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I think that I will give the 938 a second chance.

Posts: 508 | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 938 was purchased early into their introduction, 2013, and has been flawless from day one. It is my every day carry. I just recently purchased a second 938 and it did something strange with HST hollow points... It ejected a round without firing. I habitually load 5 rounds when practicing, and I found a fifth unfired round on the ground. This happened twice..can't figure it. Never happened with Critical Defense ammo, so that will be my carry ammo.
My point is sometimes even a brand new gun is selective about the ammo you use.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
My P938 is a 2016 model. It is my primary carry gun loaded with 124 grain HST's. Never had any trouble with it.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Son bought a Nov 2017 P938 Extreme in December 2017. No issues whatsoever. Safety was very tight , but loosened up.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SanibelVice
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Extreme model back in December 2017. I also purchased a couple extra extended round magazines with the finger extension. When trying it out at the range for the first time I used about 5 different types and brands of 9mm ammo to check functionality. I found that when I used the extended round mags, regardless of ammo type, the gun would disconnect the mags and eject from the gun.
A round would either not feed or else stovepipe in the chamber. The gun is now back at Sig for repair. The Sig CSR told me that they have had a few problems with this happening. Upon doing some research, I found that the magazine catch release spring has been a problem and that Sig has been replacing them with a stronger spring. The flush mount mags work fine but I had a problem with every extended mag that I used. We'll see how it works when I get the gun back. Otherwise it is a good gun and the accuracy is right on.

UPDATE: Received the firearm back from SIG Service. The magazine release spring was replaced with a stronger spring. That definitely resolved the problem. After a range test with three types and brands of ammo along with multiple magazines there were zero issues. SIG did a great job in resolving the problem and in providing a very quick turnaround>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SanibelVice,

Posts: 142 | Location: Sanibel & Captiva Islands, Florida | Registered: November 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post