New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92's Login/Join 
Picture of JR78
posted
http://robertsonstradingpost.g.../Beretta-Pistols.htm

I completely understand the short falls of this platform, but damn, at this price....

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
For a while you could find unissued ones for that price. If you look around hard enough you can find brand new 92FS’s in the $450 range.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:

I completely understand the short falls of this platform, but damn, at this price....

What are the short falls of this platform?

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
They're nice but they are the 92S with the heel or "European sytle" mag release.

I've seen new 92FSs for under $500 on line.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
QUOTE] What are the short falls of this platform?[/QUOTE]

It's made of metal. And has a thingy on the slide that you have to know how to work. [sarcasm]

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Or you could, you know, go completely the other way...

No, Totally Not Pricey...

Eek

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Whoops! Wink

Just how damn rare is that thing?
Or for that matter, M9 marked models in general?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I recall the 92S doesn't have the updated locking block or the large hammer pin to stop the slide from coming at you if it breaks. Neither issue happens what you'd call "frequently" but it's there.

It's also not ambi, and the European mag release takes it's own mag.

The mag thing is the only issue that would really concern me, as I'm not sure how plentiful mags are for that one.

Can you modify an F, or FS mag to seat with the heel release? I have a 92F, and feel like I should know this. Seems like you'd be able to cut a notch in the mag where needed.

I don't really have any need for another Beretta, but those are tempting prices...

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
As I recall the 92S doesn't have the updated locking block or the large hammer pin to stop the slide from coming at you if it breaks. Neither issue happens what you'd call "frequently" but it's there.

The mag thing is the only issue that would really concern me, as I'm not sure how plentiful mags are for that one.

Can you modify an F, or FS mag to seat with the heel release? I have a 92F, and feel like I should know this. Seems like you'd be able to cut a notch in the mag where needed.

I don't really have any need for another Beretta, but those are tempting prices...

Most Beretta factory mags work with both types of mag releases. Aftermarket mags, like Mec-Gar, do not.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have 4 factory 92FS mags, 2 of them have the heel mag catch notch in addition to the standard (?) mag catch notch. I would assume if you know where to cut, you could modify 92F/FS mags to work with it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd just get a new FS or Commercial M9 for <$500, or if you qualify get a 92A1 for $550 and 3 x 17rd mags.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Shortfalls of the Beretta 92?

That is one of the best full-size 9mm service guns ever.

If there is a shortfall, it is that it is fully full sized. They are biggish, but not Desert Eagle big.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:

A lot of the Italian police 92S pistols had the upgraded block and pin. Don’t forget some of the guns turned in were made in the early 2000’s. Beretta was still providing new guns until recently. I have one that has all the upgrades and has the taller current production sights.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Shortfalls of the Beretta 92?

That is one of the best full-size 9mm service guns ever.

If there is a shortfall, it is that it is fully full sized. They are biggish, but not Desert Eagle big.

Biggish, Baddish of them all #1

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the 92S pistols. The sights are useless and I mean absolutely useless. It has integrated front sight that is part of the slide itself. Can't be changed out. Useless unless you are about 3 feet from whatever you intend to shoot and that thing you're going to shoot is looking the other way...and deaf.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:

What are the short falls of this platform?

I would like to hear what the short falls of the 92 series are also.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valleyforge.1777:
I have one of the 92S pistols. The sights are useless and I mean absolutely useless. It has integrated front sight that is part of the slide itself. Can't be changed out. Useless unless you are about 3 feet from whatever you intend to shoot and that thing you're going to shoot is looking the other way...and deaf.

not all 92S come that way. There's a lot of variation in whether they had proper sights, the low-profile ones, the hammer pin upgrade, etc. All depends on what was done at the armory before going into storage.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Or you could, you know, go completely the other way...

No, Totally Not Pricey...

Eek

Notice the General Purchased it from Uncle Sugar for $216. It's in the memo.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
23+ times return on "investment". Not bad if you can get it. Wonder how much the seller actually paid for the gun, presuming that he bought it from the general to begin with.

As for the Italian service 92s that started this thread: for $290, one of these with built-in "character", or a new Ruger Security-9...same capacity, one extra mag advantage to the Ruger...I'm kinda liking the Beretta in this price-centric head-to-head.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i love my 90-two. the only thing that prevents me from the 92s is the mag release. a used 92fs is around $400 nowadays though. good guns.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post