SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm revolvers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm revolvers Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
NEVER use aluminum cased ammo in a revolver, it's a big no no as the aluminum expands and gets stuck in each cylinder with revolvers.

I never use non brass stuff in anything. But at the conceptual physical level how is this possible true? Fired cases in semi's extract and that is as hot as a case will ever be.

In a semi auto, they're extracted the instant the bullet leaves the case. In a revolver, they sit in the cylinder and warm up the steel cylinder. I don't know. I just know I had those issues with them and started researching it on the internet which iterated the same thing I experienced.

A friend of mine had a convertible blackhawk. I like the 9mm round in a revolver. It's somewhere between .38 +p and .357 magnum in the recoil department, fun but no overwhelming in a 5.5" barrel, also a heck of a lot cheaper than the other 2 cartridges.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Given that there's about a 10000:1 ratio if not higher between 9mm pistols to revolvers, and maybe a 1000:1 .38 snubbies to 9mm revolvers, how is this ever going to make any sense to any ammo maker?

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Suddenly the 9mm Federal is starting to make a bit more sense. A rim could be good; a crimp oriented towards light revolvers might be even better.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
From the manufacturers' perspective, doesn't that kinda depend on how many 9mm revolvers Ruger (and perhaps others) winds up selling? The LCR seems to be the first attempt to make revolvers available in that caliber on a mass and relatively affordable basis, so I'm not sure how your estimated ratios tell us much about what's going to happen.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd rather have a 9mm snub nose revolver for a pocket pistol than .38 +P. Much cheaper ammo, much better ammo selection, better velocity out of a short barrel etc. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm grabbing my IR thermometer, some ammo and my 9mm revolver and a glock and we will get to the bottom of this heat thing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Some of your comments on bullet pull got me to thinking. Wonder if pullet pull in the very light weight revolvers is why S&W didn't pursue marketing a "942" 9MM version of their hugely successful 642 38 Spcl.? Apparently they produced only the one 942 prototype before deciding against production.....

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Never had this problem in my S&W 547 that I have owned since the eighties or my wife's Taurus 905 she has had for years.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://americanhandgunner.com/9mm-revolvers/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54636 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I wanted a revolver but one in 9mm since the majority of my collection is the same caliber. I also wanted a revolver that was cheap to shoot. I didn't like the look of the S&W Performance Center models so I purchased this S&W 686+ custom fit with a 9mm cylinder and designed to work with 7 round moon clips from a user at S&W Forums. So I can shoot three calibers out of it with the change of a cylinder. Still would love to find a nice S&W 940 at a decent price.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post