SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For stock competition, do you prefer a heavy or light gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For stock competition, do you prefer a heavy or light gun? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Just for discussion, lets keep this to stock/production classes for most of the popular shooting competitions (other than bullseye), not one in particular.

Do you personally prefer a heavier or lighter gun? Why?

This is strictly for the range/shooting sports, not to carry.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I don't compete, but, if I were in competition, it would be a heavier gun, say, all metal instead of poly. Faster back on target.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I don't compete, but, if I were in competition, it would be a heavier gun, say, all metal instead of poly. Faster back on target.

Same here as well as a nice SA trigger.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me I like what I shoot the best within the rules that I have to deal with. Weight is a tradeoff, helps on recoil and followup, hurts on movement. There really is no pat answer that works for everything. In general its not a key criteria because in classes with an actual weight limit I see plenty of good finishers that have room left compared to the max.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot carry optics, which is loosely optic counterpart of production, with Glock 19x and CZ Shadow 2 so I've some experience with both options.
A very simplistic answer is that after some absolute weight, say 30+ oz unloaded, I don't care. Heavy/Shadow is easier to shoot faster but there is more effort/tension/inertia on transitions. Glock is such a fast handling gun.
A more involved answer is that it is tough to really answer because it is impossible to have an "all else being equal". Heavy guns usually come with superb triggers, no aftermarket Glock or Legion trigger is anywhere near my Shadow's. Walther SF is a heavy gun with a decent trigger but grip is too small for me. Ergos are different, Glocks are easier to modify for a higher grip. Slide cycling and return are different. This is just the regular shooting part, without covering the draw, reloads, one handed stuff, and a bunch of competition specific special skills.
I currently shoot CZs simply because I've been on them for a good part of last 3 years but if I had to get a new set of guns, heavy vs light would be near the bottom of my decision making process.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
For me, I prefer heavy, damps down recoil and small movements of the gun.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post