This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8200039234

November 09, 2017, 11:54 AM
Sigmund
"More Marines carry Glock 19M as Corps looks for new pistol"
https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...ooks-for-new-pistol/

More Marines carry Glock 19M as Corps looks for new pistol

By: Jeff Schogol   21 hours ago

More Marines are carrying the Glock 19M as a sidearm while the Corps searches for a pistol to replace the M9 Beretta.

Earlier this year, the Marine Corps fielded the smaller and more compact Glock 19M to Marines and civilians in the Criminal Investigation Division as well as Marines in Helicopter Squadron One.

Now, dozens of Marines will carry the Glock 19M when they deploy to Afghanistan next year as part of the next Task Force Southwest rotation.

Chief Warrant Officer 5 Christian Wade, 2nd Marine Division gunner, emphasized that the Glock 19M is an interim solution while the Corps looks for a new pistol to replace the M9 Beretta. The Corps is evaluating whether to adopt the Sig Sauer P320 by the early 2020s. The Army selected the P320 as its new sidearm earlier this year.

As one of the Marine Corps’ eight “gunners,” or weapons experts, Wade advises senior Marine Corps leadership about which weapons Marines should have.

Wade said he recommended issuing the Glock 19M to Marines deploying to Afghanistan because the FBI uses the pistol as its concealed carry handgun.

“I just went with the evidence,” Wade said. “The evidence overwhelmingly suggests that of the two, for the concealed carry handgun mission, the Glock is a better tool for that.”

About 50 Marines will receive the Glock 19M, which has a slide that is more than an inch shorter than the M9 Beretta, Wade said. The Glock 19M is easier to fire because it takes less effort to pull the trigger, he said.

Having a concealed weapon allows Marines to have a conversation with people without announcing that they are armed, Wade explained to Marine Corps Times.

“It’s kind of a passive Guardian Angel-esque measure,” Wade explained. “Certain Marines will be armed at all times. It’s a passive and very quickly to active security measure. It’s kind of an underlying, ever-present security measure that’s always there that does not necessarily project to our friends that we are armed.”

He added that the Marines will also have a holster to carry the pistols on the outside for times when they don’t need their handguns to be concealed.

The commander of Marine Forces Command has recently approved Wade’s request that the Marines training to deploy to Helmand province as part of the next rotation train on the Glock 19M before heading downrange, Wade said.

Because the Glock 19M is one of the Corps’ two service pistols, the Marines already have the weapons in their inventory, he said. The Marines currently training to be part of the next Task Force Southwest should receive the pistols in the next couple weeks.

“I want them to do as much training as they possibly can,” Wade said. “Given the nature of the requirement, a concealed carry handgun, the training regimen is more demanding than the typical overt carry watchstander.”

The Marine Corps’ law enforcement community already has the Glock 19M, which the Corps has dubbed the M007 because it can so easily be concealed, a Marine Corps Systems Command news release says.

“We received the initial request for a new concealed carry weapon system in April 2016,” Lt. Col. Paul Gillikin, infantry weapons team lead at MARCORSYSCOM, said in the news release. “By collaborating with the FBI, we were able to procure, establish sustainability plans and start fielding the weapon to Marines by May 2017.”
November 09, 2017, 12:50 PM
Strambo
Well, saying it is a good choice because the FBI uses it is silly IMO, totally different mission and operational environment.

Saying it is a good choice due to its proven combat record in SOCOM and its replacement of the P226 in NSW is a good reason...

Hopefully, they will just make it official and save millions on a selection program. Since it is already in the system, not a big deal cost-wise, the logistic chain is in pace. Ideally, the whole of DoD will go to either the G19 or P320/M17 and leave it at that.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
November 09, 2017, 02:03 PM
BT2012
If it good enough for the Raiders, then it should be good enough for the rest of the Marines. With some Marines deploying to Afghanistan with Glocks, they should be able to provide feedback. Pretty cool how they dubbed the Glock, M007.
November 09, 2017, 05:14 PM
rat2306
Sounds like the Corps has been reading our "You Will Buy A Glock" thread...

BTW; perhaps a bit early but "Happy Birthday, USMC!" Semper Fi.
November 09, 2017, 06:53 PM
Lefty Sig
Glocks are the ideal combat sidearm. Simple, reliable, and are very tolerant of adverse conditions and lack of cleaning. The trigger is "good enough" for combat - arguably better than a mil-spec AR trigger.

Only issue is the lack of a safety lever that the military seems to insist they need...
November 11, 2017, 09:55 AM
ArLEOret
What exactly is the 19M? How does it differ from the just released G-19 gen 5?

Officers lives matter!
November 11, 2017, 10:47 AM
soggy_spinout
My understanding is that the G17M/G19M pistols that the FBI adopted and the Gen5 G17/G19 are more or less the same. There may be some minor internal differences that the M gets due to agency criteria and requirements, but with all of the key major components they appear to have commonality between the two types.
November 11, 2017, 11:15 AM
striker1
From what I can see:

Glock 19M has 4 mags and comes with the so-called Ameriglo "FBI" sights. The slide has an M on it. Trigger between 5 and 6 lbs.

My Blue label came with the same Ameriglos, three mags, a 5.5 lb trigger, and no M.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

November 11, 2017, 11:20 AM
Pipe Smoker
Re: "He added that the Marines will also have a holster to carry the pistols on the outside for times when they don’t need their handguns to be concealed…"

I wonder which mode of concealed carry they use. IWB? Shoulder rig?

Serious about crackers
November 12, 2017, 05:07 PM
Sig M11
I am hoping to have my 19M soon...
November 12, 2017, 05:18 PM
longjohn
I have 2. I have owned every make, model, size, and configuration of 9mm pistol over the last 22 years and I am totally hooked. The balance of size, accuracy, reliability, durability, and shootability one gets from the gen5 g19 is very very hard to beat. Several thousand rounds thru the 2.
If it fits your hand then get one and end your quest for the best all around 9mm on the market.
Just one man's opinion of course
November 12, 2017, 09:09 PM
Biggy
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
I have 2. I have owned every make, model, size, and configuration of 9mm pistol over the last 22 years and I am totally hooked. The balance of size, accuracy, reliability, durability, and shootability one gets from the gen5 g19 is very very hard to beat. Several thousand rounds thru the 2.
If it fits your hand then get one and end your quest for the best all around 9mm on the market.
Just one man's opinion of course

I ended my quest for the best all around 9mm compact pistols. I really like my two Gen 5 G19's but I also like my two M&P 2.0 compacts. Both great pistols, but I do shoot the 2.0 compacts a little better. Maybe its the triggers, I don't know. Just one man's experience of course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,
November 12, 2017, 09:26 PM
Biggy
Deleted (double post)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,
November 13, 2017, 09:15 AM
gunguru123
It seems they already have their answer.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...
November 13, 2017, 05:28 PM
BehindBlueI's
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
From what I can see:

Glock 19M has 4 mags and comes with the so-called Ameriglo "FBI" sights. The slide has an M on it. Trigger between 5 and 6 lbs.

My Blue label came with the same Ameriglos, three mags, a 5.5 lb trigger, and no M.

The "M" only comes with 3 mags as standard. Departments can get different sights, we got the Ameriglos.

Guts are the same with the exception of the coating of the internal trigger components. 5 has a shiny nickel type coating, "M" has a black proprietary coating of some sort.

I've had my "M" since spring in-service, have right at 1750 rounds through it, and am quite satisfied with it.
November 13, 2017, 06:23 PM
Nick B
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
quote:
From what I can see:

The "M" only comes with 3 mags as standard. Departments can get different sights, we got the Ameriglos.

Guts are the same with the exception of the coating of the internal trigger components. 5 has a shiny nickel type coating, "M" has a black proprietary coating of some sort.

I've had my "M" since spring in-service, have right at 1750 rounds through it, and am quite satisfied with it.

Does your M have the grip frame cut out ?
November 13, 2017, 07:13 PM
BehindBlueI's
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
quote:
quote:
From what I can see:

Does your M have the grip frame cut out ?

The frame is the same as this photo, only the sights are different.

If there's a way to directly upload a photo, I can. I don't have a photobucket or the like any longer.
November 14, 2017, 04:55 PM
newtoSig765
quote:
If there's a way to directly upload a photo, I can. I don't have a photobucket or the like any longer.

Try this one, it works fine for a lot of members, myself included:
https://postimages.org/

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
November 14, 2017, 11:56 PM
BehindBlueI's

November 15, 2017, 12:05 AM
RHINOWSO
I wonder how many of them think the 19'M' stands for Marine Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin