SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P2000/.40 conversion to 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P2000/.40 conversion to 9mm Login/Join 
posted
In my long quest for a conversion barrel, I happened upon HKPro.com’s web site and saw that the 9mm barrel for the P2000 says
“New HK German HK P2000 Barrel 9mm brand new cold hammer forged 9mm P2000 barrel. Perfect for those that want to have a spare or for caliber conversion swaps.”
Intrigued, and somewhat skeptical I called their CS and Tech Support. They very definitely said, yes, it works with the p2000/.40, but that I needed a 9mm spring kit, and I did. It will be here by next week. I will let you-all know.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Interesting!

I have 2 of them, one in 9mm and the other in .357 SIG. I need to get a .40 barrel to add another caliber.

Looking back I wish I would've done what you did.

Will it use the same mags?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Interesting!

I have 2 of them, one in 9mm and the other in .357 SIG. I need to get a .40 barrel to add another caliber.

Looking back I wish I would've done what you did.

Will it use the same mags?

Regarding magazines, as soon as the barrel and the spring kit come in I’ll find out if the 40 magazines will work on the 9 mm caliber. Fortunately, I also have 9 mm magazines from my USP9C That may work, or those from the VP9.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Interesting!

Not to hijack/derail the thread, but is your 357 the same one I sold you a few years back?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure about p2000. But my p30 takes both 9mm and .40 magazine perfectly fine.
Same with my p226, I can load .40 magazine with 9mm ammo and not a single hiccup.

NRA Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 394 | Registered: April 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Not to hijack/derail the thread, but is your 357 the same one I sold you a few years back?

Yes, sir! Big Grin

She's been well taken care of, my primary carry gun when I road trip. The ergonomics of the pistol and the ballistics of the cartridge made it my go-to pistol.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have both 9mm and .40 mags. Never thought to try.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So a couple of observations.

-.40 USPc/P2000 magazine will lock into P2000 9mm
-.40 magazine will feed 9mm snap caps (manually obviously) in the 9mm pistol.
-.40 magazine appears to hold the 9mm round at a steeper upward angle
-.40 magazine was able to easily load 14 9mm rounds and a 15th with less effort than that of say a new Glock magazines last round.
-.40 magazine when being hand emptied of the 9mm rounds all popped out under thumb pressure as one would expect a working magazine to do so.

Not sure I would trust it as my only magazine option but it APPEARS like it would function passably as 9mm magazine in a 9mm gun.

I may give it a try at the range next time out. Worst case is failures to feed, extract or double feed would be my guess. I have a suspicion a round could hang up on the barrel hood if it truly is a steeper approach.

I would be more worried about just dropping a 9mm barrel in .40 slide with the new recoil assembly. Will there not be slop in the barrel to slide fit as well as the breech face being larger. Not sure if or what kinds of dangers that may present but that would worry me. Course I could probably eyeball that too couldn't I. Hmmmm give me a sec. Smile

Ok couple more observations.

9mm barrel and RSA will fit and seemingly function in the .40 slide. Seems to lock up tight. That being said the muzzle of the 9mm barrel (the whole barrel really) is smaller in exterior diameter then the .40 barrel so there is a noticeable gap between the muzzle of the 9mm barrel and the top interior of the .40 slide at the barrel cutout hole(is there a technical name for this??? Big Grin). NO IDEA if this will cause issues and its not something I will be testing live fire but.....in a pinch at a glance it looks like it might very well work.

Chris

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 9mm barrel and RSA arrived today. I installed on my .40 P2000 and ran some 9mm snap-caps. I racked the slide quite a few times and though I am anxious to shoot live ammo, it’s going to have to wait.
cslinger, there is a slightly larger gap as the barrel peaks out of the muzzle, than the .40 gap. I will advise after a range trip. I took picture and will attempt to post here. The .40 is the 2nd foto.
VP9 and USP 9 Compact magazines seem to work well.

https://imgur.com/a/tf5uW
https://i.imgur.com/lvWeegW.jpg

posted Hide Post
Anxious to hear how this concludes. I have a P2000 in 40/357 and have been wondering about a 9mm barrel functioning in the 40. Prefer this option as new p2000 in 9 mm is expensive. To me the hk has the perfect ergos for my hand.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So what did you find? Have you had a chance to try out your conversion?

posted Hide Post
I am very happy with the 9mm conversion!
This morning at the range for the first time with the p2000/.40SW with an HK 9mm barrel and .40 mags. I could only fit 13 rounds of 9 mm 124 grain gecko and 124 grain freedom munitions. After a little more than 200 rounds, the converted HK proved flawless and accurate. I am not ready to carry it other than with the .40 sw barrel, Until I reach a comfortable round count of more than 500. The distance I shot was at 15 yards.
The p2000 In this configuration is much more comfortable to shoot than the USP9 compact.
Here are some pictures.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Awesome great to hear.

posted Hide Post
fquico, I looked at the HK forum site and didn't locate the info. Is your new 9mm barrel/spring conversion from the Hk factory or is this an aftermarket?.If aftermarket, then who is manuf? Thanks

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Max, I purchased them new from https://www.hkparts.net/shop/p...P2000-Parts-c203.htm.
I am very happy with the barrel swap on the p2000. It is originally a .40 and I successfully swap a 357 barrel and now a 9mm. With the 357 I use the .40 recoil spring. With the 9, I use the 9 recoil spring..

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I also purchased mine as a .40. Later bought a 357 barrel. Works great!

Picture of 30PlusRetlaw
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread but I don't want to start a new thread for the same question. I just bought a 40sw p2000 fairly cheap but all my pistols are 9mm. I converted my Glocks to 9mm and want to do the same with the p2000. The question is if I only need to buy the barrel or is the barrel guide rod and magazines? Thanks in advance

"What I would die for?
My faith, my family, my friends, my freedom and my flag" Tony Zinni

Posts: 3291 | Location: Some where close to some one | Registered: March 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
According to the thread above it’s barrel and springs (RSA).

.40 mags seem to feed 9mm fine. I have shot 9mm out of my .40 mags just as a test.

Picture of 30PlusRetlaw
posted Hide Post
Thanks!!

"What I would die for?
My faith, my family, my friends, my freedom and my flag" Tony Zinni

Posts: 3291 | Location: Some where close to some one | Registered: March 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify.

I HAVE NOT converted my .40 to 9mm. I just tried the .40 mags in the 9mm gun. So I am only going by what the OP said as far as the actual conversion.

Chris