SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Deputy is suing SIG for $10 million from P320 injury
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deputy is suing SIG for $10 million from P320 injury Login/Join 
Picture of Wreckless
posted
Loudoun County deputy sues gun manufacturer for $10 million after having her femur shattered

A Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office deputy is one of several people across the country suing gun manufacturer Sig Sauer for alleged negligence and deceptive marketing.

The deputy, 37-year-old Marcie Vadnais, is seeking $10 million in damages.

The Sig Sauer P320 pistol is widely used by police departments, the military and general public and is marketed for its safety. Sig Sauer is quoted in marketing material that the gun will not fire unless someone pulls the trigger.

But in 2016, when the manufacturer was closing a deal with the Army, the Army found that occasionally when the gun was dropped it would fire by itself. As a condition of the deal, Sig Sauer upgraded the firearms to fix the problem, but the company then sold the pre-upgrade version to the general public for several months, according to a CNN investigation.

In February, Vadnais arrived at the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy for a general instructor course. The academy does not allow live rounds and weapons inside the facility, so the deputy began stripping off the firarm. As Vadnais began feeding her belt through the first tooth of the holster, her P320 fired one round and hit her right thigh, shattering her femur, according to court documents.

At no point did Vadnais touch the trigger, and the gun was inside and covered by the Sig-manufactured holster, the documents state.

Vadnais, a seven-year veteran of LCSO, now has a steel rod holding her femur in place and still has bone fragments and shrapnel in her leg. Doctors do not know the full extent of the damage, but they say she may never be able to walk or run normally again or return to her post, according to court documents.

Vadnais' Sig Sauer was not the upgraded version of the gun.

https://www.loudountimes.com/n...1b-7b8d88341850.html

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Not sure I believe her version of the story.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hmmm . . .

Witnesses? Video from security camera?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
This story stinks of money grubbing BS.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
feeding her belt through the first tooth of the holster

Confused Holsters have teeth, let alone more than one? Maybe the protrusions on the paddle and body of the plastic holster shipped with P320s could be considered teeth, but why feed your belt through them?

Posts: 27814 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a ND to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Peanut71,

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
But in 2016, when the manufacturer was closing a deal with the Army, the Army found that occasionally when the gun was dropped it would fire by itself. As a condition of the deal, Sig Sauer upgraded the firearms to fix the problem, but the company then sold the pre-upgrade version to the general public for several months, according to a CNN investigation.

While her story may be in doubt, this is what interests me...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The holster than SIG ships/shipped with the 320s?

Color me skeptical. Is this about "drop safety" and yet the gun wasn't dropped?

And if she was removing the holster, why was she feeding a belt through anything?

Either this is the shittiest reportage ever, or this scenario is total bullshit.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:

While her story may be in doubt, this is what interests me...

Bingo

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
The holster than SIG ships/shipped with the 320s?

Color me skeptical. Is this about "drop safety" and yet the gun wasn't dropped?

And if she was removing the holster, why was she feeding a belt through anything?

Either this is the shittiest reportage ever, or this scenario is total bullshit.

It’s both. She shot herself, unintentionally, but there’s no other explanation. Not sure why this is coming back around again since she piggy backed on the drop suits a few months ago.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First anyone can file such for anything. It remains to be
seen what happens now.
Filing isn't proof of anything.
From what we read here is somewhat confusing as to just what
caused the pistol to fire.
Lets give this some time to play out. Often, very often companies settle out of court, considering it's simpler than the publicity of a trial.
However, something like this won't be settled out of court.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure why this is coming back around again since she piggy backed on the drop suits a few months ago.

Perhaps because she piggy backed on the drop suits and there was no drop involved here at all?

I'm with those who'd like to see a clearer and more detailed version of the story. The story as told here seems just a little weird, which does suggest that the officer may be playing the Lawsuit Lottery and hoping that a big demand will lead to a healthy settlement.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Wait... I see the problem with this story.

quote:
a CNN investigation.

No wonder it doesn't make any sense.

Posts: 21044 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That doesn't make much, if any, sense.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Color me confused. My holsters don't have teeth. I assume there is video evidence??

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And who in their right mind would use that crappy, flimsy holster that Sig makes? Or provides. And who would take it to a training class?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And who in their right mind would use that crappy, flimsy holster that Sig makes? Or provides. And who would take it to a training class?

Some people are very cheap. I know many gun owners who are shocked that I spend $130 to $150 on custom leather holsters. They state they can spend $30 on a cc holster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Story sounds suspicious

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Some thing isn't right with this story. Also, who the hell leaves a loaded gun in a holster while taking off or on a belt or your body?!?!? Seems to me she needs more firearms safety training.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
Some thing isn't right with this story. Also, who the hell leaves a loaded gun in a holster while taking off or on a belt or your body?!?!? Seems to me she needs more firearms safety training.

That is exactly how you are taught to remove it unless you are at an approved clearing location (sand barrel) or on the line at the range. It is a police training thing. You generally can't have an ND if the firearm remains holstered.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post