SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Single Stack 10mm CCW Options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Stack 10mm CCW Options Login/Join 
posted
Some of the recent 10mm talk got me wondering why there are no single stack ccw 10mm options out there. I know you can get a commander size 10mm but why not a Glock 36 sized 10mm? I would think that Kahr, Glock or even Sig would have a compact polymer frame striker fired option. Is there anything out there I’m not aware of or is this just a non-existent market segment?

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would probably really suck to shoot. Besides that it just wouldn’t sell

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ddown
posted Hide Post
Today I got invited to a Wounded Warrior day with Glock I got to shoot every offering in 380.9mm,40,45,10mm. Observation was small guns shoot harder. 10mm isn't bad at all better than 40. Worst gun Glock 27. Best was well not much difference but the 45s were real soft and rang steel very consistently for all. Surprised me how consistent the feel was throughout the line. First time shooting optics MOS a learning curve there for sure. 10mm is good to go if you have the need.

Posts: 17 | Location: MI | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is return on investment.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I carry my P220-10mm easily with a good holster (Andrews Leather) and belt (Wilderness Instructor 1.75"). We do have more options here in AZ (open carry), but I always wear an untucked over-shirt for concealment.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I agree it would be wonderful if Smith and Wesson or one of the other manufacturers revived the compact single stack 10MM Auto pistol. With the explosion of introductions in ammunition and firearms this cartridge has been experiencing over the last 5+ years it is just a matte of time before that occurs.

Sometimes you don't want to wait and just have to take matters into your own hands and do something custom to fill those needs or desires Smile

Prior to Smith and Wesson stopping all production of 10MM Auto pistols they were headed toward the release of several alloy framed compact auto loaders.

The evidence of this is a family of 40S&W pistols that were designed and shipped on 10MM Auto sized frames with 10MM Auto length magazines

The compact family was the 4013/4015/4053/4054 pistols. When looking at any of these, you will notice that the magazines are 100MM Auto length with spacers in the back so they can accommodate the 40S&W cartridge. These make great choices to convert to 10MM Auto

Simply re-chambering the existing barrel, re-springing the recoil assembly and removing the spacers from the magazines yields a very nice 10MM Auto compact , Some folks add a recoil buffer so that the slide has no ability to contact the frame during recoil. The availble buffers either have to be fileted in half so that the slide can come back far enough to complete is travel or the frame has to be machined back by the thickness of the buffer

Others oppose buffers remembering the early 1911 experiences. Many of those early ones deteriorated after time leaving debris in the firearm

The same conversion can be accomplished with the sub compact sized Chief's Special auto loaders chambered for 40S&W. It is exactly the same steps as listed above.

This will give you a 6+1 capacity 24 ounce auto loader chambered in 10MM Auto that can be easily pocket carried. Eek

Many Smith and Wesson magazines have little nubs on them to prevent the wrong caliber magazine being used in the wrong firearm. By removing these nubs, any of the longer 10MM Auto magazines can be used in the smaller pistols.

Smith and Wesson has manufactured single stack 10MM capable magazines in 6, 7, 9, 11 and 15 round capacities over the years. Some like the 11s and 15s have become collector's items and are seldom seen any longer. The others are far more common. Obviously you wouold use the longer magazines as your reload

On the Smith-WessonForum member Bad_Man_One had modified some polymer sleeves from extended ProMag offerings so that the longer 10MM Auto magazines would not look so awkward. Here are some of his images with a CS10 and 1013 pistols

Naturally if you are looking for a larger single stack auto loader chambered for the 10MM Auto cartridge, the SIG P220 is a great choice as henryaz has already pointed out. My 10MM Auto P220 has proven to be a very accurate firearm

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peanut71 - I don't find a huge difference between the g36 and g29. If you have not tried the g29 because it is not a single stack, it is worth taking for a test drive.

colt_saa - thanks for the great information.

Posts: 330 | Location: Go West! | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Naturally if you are looking for a larger single stack auto loader chambered for the 10MM Auto cartridge, the SIG P220 is a great choice as henryaz has already pointed out. My 10MM Auto P220 has proven to be a very accurate firearm

In my hands anyway, it is the most accurate pistol I own. At close range, it is a fantastic point shooter. I think the weight helps there, and gets me many figure 8 doubles.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are using true 10mm loads you can feel the snap but it is not to hard to manage the recoil

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d really like to convert one of the single stack S&W pistols. I like my 220-10mm but would like something a bit more compact.

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me something like a S&W Shield in 10mm would be great !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think that Kahr, Glock or even Sig would have a compact polymer frame striker fired option.

At this point I'd be thrilled to see something like a full-sized 320 in 10mm from SIG. My WAG, FWLIW, is that SIG would have the good sense to start with a larger polymer pistol and walk their way through the learning curve before they'd take a shot at producing a compact polymer 10mm.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post