SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do I need an AR pistol? And if so, why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need an AR pistol? And if so, why? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna be the dissenter. Unless you are just looking for a fun gun to make noise and fireballs on the range, or are going to run a supressor, I'll take the longer barrel all day long.

I recently was confronted with this decision regarding some rifles that we were getting for work. I work night shift, and the muzzle blast and fireball from a short barrel is absolutely blinding in the dark. I took an 11" rifle and a 16" rifle out after dark and shot them both...just an unbelievable difference. 16" gives the powder enough time to almost completely burn...there's very little flash at the end of the muzzle...just a small blue flame. The 11" is downright blinding. Both are going to be loud inside, but the 11" is outrageously loud in any setting. I wish I had a way to post the videos...they speak for themselves.

Being a tall guy, I'm also not a fan of the pistol braces. They are too short to properly shoulder and establish a decent cheek weld, and trying to shoot an AR using the officially prescribed "arm-brace" method is laughable.

Yes, a shorter barrel may be slightly more manuverable in tight quarters, but IMO it's not worth the disorienting noise and muzzle blast. In a residential setting or other small environment, I'd rather have my shotgun. For larger, more open spaces, I prefer a full-length rifle. However, if a can is an option, that could change the discussion somewhat...

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
For me, it came down to a couple reasons:

1) Can carry it loaded in a vehicle with my CPL.
2) Because.

Other than that, I haven't seen a lot of use for it. It would be one of the last things in my safe that I would grab for home defense purposes. All the reasons 92fstech listed, plus I prefer bullpups for the compact carbine role.

But I wouldn't even think twice on "a new Springfield ~ $600." If it were me, I'd just buy it.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
If it's legal in your state, you can have a short, easily maneuverable rifle for vehicle travel/use.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm gonna be the dissenter. Unless you are just looking for a fun gun to make noise and fireballs on the range, or are going to run a supressor, I'll take the longer barrel all day long.

I have an AAC Blackout FH on my 10.5"...can barely see a small blue flame if you are looking right at it in low light.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I have an AAC Blackout FH on my 10.5"...can barely see a small blue flame if you are looking right at it in low light.

How low was low light? The 11" MCX I shot last week was insane. Granted, it had a comp on it, so a flash-hider would have certainly helped some, but it would take a technical miracle to have eliminated this fireball. If the AAC blackout can pull it off, I'm truly impressed! I wish I had a way to share the video...it was pretty awesome, and fun as heck...but not really practical at all.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have an outdoor area to shoot it then go for it. Otherwise they are super obnoxious indoors no matter what you do to try and tame it.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flash hiders like those from AAC, Surefire, and even Smith Enterprise do a pretty decent job even with short barrels. Brakes of any type simply do not. High quality defensive ammunition generally does better than bulk 55 grain.

Also, equipping the rifle with a bright enough light to identify what you're shooting at tends to mitigate the effects of the flash, at least to the shooter.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Flash hiders like those from AAC, Surefire, and even Smith Enterprise do a pretty decent job even with short barrels. Brakes of any type simply do not. High quality defensive ammunition generally does better than bulk 55 grain.

Also, equipping the rifle with a bright enough light to identify what you're shooting at tends to mitigate the effects of the flash, at least to the shooter.

That adding a weapon light to mitigate the muzzle flash is an interesting point.
Thanks

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Not a terrible price if you already have an unused "multi" receiver.

PSA 11.5" 5.56 1/7" PHOSPHATE CLASSIC SBA3 PISTOL KIT, BLACK

https://palmettostatearmory.co...ack-51654489732.html

Posts: 3510 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
What hole am I filling with an AR15 556 Pistol?

I have hunting rifles, shotguns, various pistols from 22 to 45 in both CCW and full size. 3 AR15 556 tricked out to barebones.

I am offered a new Springfield ~ $600.

Sincere advice appreciated...

Got a email today they're back in stock $895.00
https://www.kygunco.com/Produc...w?ItemNo=144811&utm_

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not technically an AR but close... from TNW Firearms:

Just wish they made them to take Sig Magazines in stead of Glocks...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
CMMG makes a lower that takes P320 mags I think.

My 9mm upper from 9/15/20 came in today. My Glock lower hasn’t hit production yet so I slapped it on one of my sbr’d AR lowers for now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
only thing I don't like about them is I have to wear ear muffs my standard hearing protection doesn't help much.

Posts: 5590 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with an AR pistol 10.5" from PSA. Took it out once, had so much fun bought a BCM 16" rifle a week later. Now looking at getting another pistol lower just in case. Then the mag buying started...30 mags later I can't stop buying them. Lancer, Magpul, BCM, Okay...they're so cheap compared to pistol mags!

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I have a Springfield Edge that has a 7 1/2" barrel. Yes, it is loud but is is easy to maneuver and fun to shoot. It handles well and it had never given me any issues. Simple ear protection, Caldwell muffs work fine.

If anyone has not noticed the prices of AR's especially short barreled ones have been increasing. For $600 I would buy it, play with it and if I didn't like it you could easily resell it.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP - may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned the barrel length on the Springfield, which in my mind would be a consideration. The shortest I'd go on an AR is 10.5". Shorter than that and the flash, noise and loss of velocity don't make for a very practical gun.

Also, if you're looking for a short, maneuverable, AR style pistol there are a number of other options you should consider - e.g.:

AR in 300BO. Better ballistics/less loss of velocity out of a short barrel, less muzzle flash, easier to suppress.

AR9/Pistol Caliber Carbine. Less recoil, cheap ammo (well it used to be cheap), minimal muzzle flash, no loss of velocity out of a short barrel, don't have to worry as much about over-penetration in home defense setting.

Tavor. You get a 16" barrel in a package that's shorter than a lot of SBR's. Don't have to do the brace thing or SBR it. No loss of velocity or increased muzzle flash. Of course this option will cost you more $$$.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Because it pisses of the commies.

That's exactly why I bought one . It is fun to shoot so, win - win.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Photo doesn't show. What is it?

That is the Aero Survival Pistol with Extended Handguard and SB Tactical Brace from TNW Firearms out of Oregon... I had it chambered in 357 Sig.

I also have the rifle in 357 Sig and have a conversion kit for it in 9mm. I could convert the pistol to a rifle too... Just change out the bolt 16" barrel and add a regular adjustable rear stock and it becomes a rifle. The one 'issue' with ordering either the rifle or pistol from them is you have to add your own sighting device.

Here is a picture of both the rifle and pistol
(and my employee)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post