SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do I need an AR pistol? And if so, why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need an AR pistol? And if so, why? Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted
What hole am I filling with an AR15 556 Pistol?

I have hunting rifles, shotguns, various pistols from 22 to 45 in both CCW and full size. 3 AR15 556 tricked out to barebones.

I am offered a new Springfield ~ $600.

Sincere advice appreciated...

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
-Easily concealable (check your state laws) for an AR.
-Rifle caliber in a "pistol".
-Loud and fun to shoot.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun to shoot - suppressed or unsuppressed, a SIG MCX "Rattler," for example, is literally a "blast."

I think .300 Blackout is probably a better choice than 5.56x45mm, the shorter the barrel the more of the advantage to .300 Blackout.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
House gun.
In my state it falls under my pistol permit for concealed carry/car carry purposes.
Short, handy and fun.
Easy and lighter for kids and women to shoot.
Still short when suppressed.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Some states ban transporting a loaded rifle or shotgun under their hunting regulations.

Other than that, it comes down to do you want one.

They are very loud, so wear two levels of hearing protection unless you get a suppressor for it.

I had one and sold it. It was too large for concealed carry and too small for serious accuracy at distances.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
600 bucks? Buy it now!

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
I don't if I need one yet. I've ordered one and I am waiting on it. After it gets here, we'll see if I need it.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Because

And yes, $600 buy it now

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
For $600 dollars, it should already be in your gun safe. You won’t beat that price anywhere for an AR.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I second BigSwede.

I will add to his comment with “contrary to popular belief, this is still the United States of America”

You want it, you have the funds, get it.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because it pisses of the commies.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bang around your house with a AR15. Then do it with an AR pistol. It sells itself. The 300 option for home gun makes sense.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Because it pisses of the commies.

Winnah winnah, chicken dinnah!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you need it? Thats entirely up to you. From what you said my take is that you don't need an AR pistol.

Does it fill a hole? Maybe. As said, its a rifle caliber in a package that is smaller than a long gun although bigger than a more traditional hand gun. Some think it works better than either for car/truck gun or HD. Again, I don't see that as a hole in your collection.

FWIW my suggestion is if you are on the fence, for $600 go for it and see if it fits you if or if you just find you like it. If not sell it. At that price you won't take a beating no matter what.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You said AR and so I presume you are wanting to stay with .223 ammo... I'm not an expert but I doubt you can suppress most of that ammo.

Bottom line is if you want one, then get it. The nice thing is with a few modifications you can always make it a rifle.

Now I have an AR style pistol on the way... but it will be chambered in a pistol caliber cartridge.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Don't be silly. You don't need an AR pistol; they're pointless.

What you need is an AK pistol, preferably with a barrel about 12" long or longer. To date, AKs still tend to function better and more reliably with the 7.62x39 than do ARs. The 7.62x39, in turn, loses a substantially smaller portion of the velocity you would expect from a 16" barrel when fired from a pistol-length barrel. Therefore an AK pistol makes a lot more sense than an AR pistol.

Now, do you need an AK pistol? I don't know or care - I just hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought presented here.

And I am learning some different ways of looking at the issue.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it varies by State. But in my State you can carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle. This is a huge advantage over having an unloaded rifle there AND the package is substantially smaller, lighter and much much more useful. Caliber isn't really related to that as you can pick any AR caliber and/or change between them. There are a number of other advantages in other areas where in my state a shorter barrel pistol is exempt from the mag limits of rifles(this is really a hunting law, but the exception allows one to escape a problem when carrying a high capacity magazine on no hunting days in the woods).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'm close to the state border, and prefer a "pistol" over an SBR just so that i can take it to an indoor range without needing to notify the ATF.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
You said AR and so I presume you are wanting to stay with .223 ammo... I'm not an expert but I doubt you can suppress most of that ammo.

Huh? There are dozens of suppressors on the market for 5.56/.223. Supersonic rifles don't suppress great because of the sonic crack of the round, but if you told me I was going to be in a fight in a confined space, I'd take a short barreled AR with a can over one without or a 16" gun all day long.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post