SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Converting a 1911 in .357 Sig to 40S&W?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a 1911 in .357 Sig to 40S&W? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have a Sig 1911 chambered in .357Sig and would very much like to make it a 40 S&W. I would like to keep the .357 Sig capability as well and not sell and rebuy the gun. It seems a barrel and bushing, maybe a recoil spring, would be all but on a 1911 would it require fitting?

If it’s very difficult or expensive, I’ll keep it as it is.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The capacity shouldn't change due to the .40s&w and .357sig casing sizes being same diameter. As to a barrel/bushing/recoil spring, you might check with BAR-STO or INNOVATIVE ARMS. Odds are they've done similar in the past.

The bushing ID to barrel OD dimensions might be the same (?). Not sure on the magazines mouth contours though...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The magazine is the same, in fact they are marked 40S&W. The barrel seems too thin walled to allow the Sam bushing with a larger caliber bullet. That’s probably the simpler part.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Shouldn’t you be able to buy a barrel and bushing from Sig that would probably drop in?

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Sig doesn’t show the .40 S&W barrels as an option to buy.

posted Hide Post
Interesting call to Sig about this topic with my 357 1911 fastback emperor scorpion carry. I asked about a 10mm conversion and they flat refused because of the alloy frame, hinting that I was a bit off in the head. They did offer a one way 40sw conversion though, I wasn't interested because I wanted to be able to swap back if interested. Hth

DC

These posts are for fun, not work.

name at gmail for comms

Posts: 172 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by baker1425:
I asked about a 10mm conversion and they flat refused because of the alloy frame, hinting that I was a bit off in the head.

You should have reminded them your pistol has a stainless steel frame, not aluminum alloy. For the OP, you are not going to find a quality drop in barrel. 1911's require some fitting work on any new barrel. Companies such as BarSto do offer both "semi fitted" and "match fit".

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1911 requires some fitting. I would talk to a good gunsmith in your area. I take it yours is a ramped 357sig barrel? You will need a ramped 40 barrel, bushing, new link, and recoil spring. It should be a simple job for a gunsmith.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Nothing on a 1911 is a pure drop in part, so fitting will be required. The total cost will depend on your gunsmith or your boldness. Figure $200-250 for a quality match grade barrel from the big name barrel makers.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
quote:
Originally posted by baker1425:
I asked about a 10mm conversion and they flat refused because of the alloy frame, hinting that I was a bit off in the head.

You should have reminded them your pistol has a stainless steel frame, not aluminum alloy. .

They didn't say "aluminum", just that the frame alloy wasn't suitable for 10mm.

DC

These posts are for fun, not work.

name at gmail for comms

Posts: 172 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post