SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2nd place Carry Optics local handgun match, M&P CORE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2nd place Carry Optics local handgun match, M&P CORE Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
don't laugh too hard. 2nd place local handgun match, Carry Optics division. M&P CORE/RMR.
https://youtu.be/HSGKZXSdavA

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin’. Looks like a fun match.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say very, very nice shooting. I HATE the Texas star.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I say very, very nice shooting. I HATE the Texas star.

Indeed. Very good shooting.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Good shooting

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting - way to hammer that steel!

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Well done! Especially the Texas star. That thing can be a heartbreaker.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Weather forecast for Saturday is 40 and heavy rain. Guess I may skip the monthly USPSA match despite this thread really making me want to go.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting. How do you mitigate recoil like that? I assume you are shooting Major Power Factor. You don't seem affected by recoil at all. Tell me your secrets!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Nice shooting. How do you mitigate recoil like that? I assume you are shooting Major Power Factor. You don't seem affected by recoil at all. Tell me your secrets!

H&K-Guy

Carry Optics is Minor PF only.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Weather forecast for Saturday is 40 and heavy rain. Guess I may skip the monthly USPSA match despite this thread really making me want to go.

When is the last time you met a weatherman and left thinking "he's honest and trustworthy, I believe what he says"?

USPSA is a GO unless it gets canceled for Wuhan flu Roll Eyes

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Curious what kind of retical your optic has in it? How difficult to adapt to this after shooting metallics or color fiber optics? You have damn good speed from target to target and thats why I ask. Good shooting 1k.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:

H&K-Guy

Standard 9mm range loads, not 9mm Major. The M&P soaks up recoil pretty well; in my informal and unscientific test of which 9mm service pistol recoils the least, it was in the three best, along with Beretta 92 brig and PX4 Storm.

And this club is USSL affiliated, not USPSA in case you’re curious.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Curious what kind of retical your optic has in it? How difficult to adapt to this after shooting metallics or color fiber optics? You have damn good speed from target to target and thats why I ask. Good shooting 1k.
good questions. It’s a type 1 RM02 LED 3.25 MOA red dot. The dot is always on and the brightness automatically adjusts based on ambient light. I have around 13K rounds on this setup.

It did take some getting used to and it is still not as fast to acquire the dot as it is to draw and get an accurate first shot with traditional FO front/black rear competition iron sights. However (for me) after that first shot, target transitions, follow up shots, and longer range shots are much faster and more accurate with the dot. The strangest thing to get used to is to ignore your front sight. That had been drilled into me for so long that it was hard to unlearn. Some people advocate using your sights to find the dot, but for me that shifting back and forth of sight planes took time and confused my brain. So I just look at the target and the dot appears assuming my presentation is good.

I shot it okay with the OEM trigger but it was a little “gritty” in the take up and the reset wasn’t positive. I installed the Apex FSS sear and trigger kit and the RAM. The reset is a little better and the trigger is much better. I doubt I actually shoot it any better or faster but it’s more satisfying to shoot.

I have discovered I shoot irons under the stress of competition with a mostly threat-focused sight picture anyway so maybe that helped.

I do go back and forth between platforms often and most of my dry fire and live/range practice is with my P226 with irons. I don’t practice much with the M&P other than shooting it in these local matches every couple of months.

As far as dot size people like Aaron Cowan from sage dynamics (on YouTube he does a lot of red dot on handgun testing and videos and trains people with them) is now advocating for 1MOA dot size. I haven’t shot one but it would probably be fine for me. The smaller dot does magnify the appearance of your natural tremor so some people hate it and freak out about how much they’re “shaking.” But if you have some experience with them it should work fine and allows very accurate shots when necessary and doesn’t seem to slow him down any.

I have time on a 6.5 MOA RMR on a Glock and it’s very shootable also. The dot may seem a little brighter and for my type of shooting I doubt it’s any less precise. Overall though I think if I had to pick one I’d go 3.25 MOA.

I do feel that pistol optics will eventually be the norm as red dots have become the norm on rifles. Almost nobody shoots irons in dynamic competition or combat anymore on rifles because the advantages of red dots are huge and undeniable.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmoneybags:
When is the last time you met a weatherman and left thinking "he's honest and trustworthy, I believe what he says"?

True.

I'll look at it in the morning, but if it's a down pour, I'll skip it. Said they weren't going to do stages, only set up classifiers.

www.opspectraining.com

Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
The classifiers were horrendous, but it was still a fun match. I finally classified as mid-C.

Hey, at least it ain't D!

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmoneybags:
The classifiers were horrendous, but it was still a fun match. I finally classified as mid-C.

Hey, at least it ain't D!

Indeed, at least it isn’t a D. I’m going to try to get down there more this year.

www.opspectraining.com