SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith and Wesson Model 422 22 LR pistol thoughts and experiences?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson Model 422 22 LR pistol thoughts and experiences? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Looking at adding a Smith and Wesson 422 to the collection. I'm intrigued by this semi auto. Anyone here on the forum have one or have experiences with one?

The one of thinking about looks exactly like this...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GarandGuy,

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. It's a good little pistol. Shoots well, doesn't jam, easy to maintain (but the take down is a bit different). I think you'll be pleased.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of these in the all stainless steel version.
Great shooters,very reliable, decent triggers and use Model 41 mags. They also make a great suppressor host by replacing the barrel nut.
Don't dry fire without a snapcap as the firing pins are suceptable to break when dry fired without one.
Very nice guns that don't get the recognition they deserve. Hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 247 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The 442 is the king of the plinkers. It shares the same magazine as the S&W model 41. A friend talked me into selling mine to him to give to his mother. I will buy the next 6" model that I see.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to ad one to my 22 lr collection. People who own one seems to keep them and love them. I have a lot of 22lr pistols. These are ones that are on my short list.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three. I bought the first one (same version as pictured in the OP) for a plinker when I was 21 or 22. Picked up two more with fixed sights and plastic grips over the years as parts guns in case I break a part I can't find somewhere. So far that has not happened.

I love shooting it almost as much as I like my 41. Almost as much fun and a lot cheaper. Plus, I am willing to shoot hyper-velocity rounds like Stingers thru it unlike my 41.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
They are great little plinkers. Smile

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 422 is a great pistol. I put several thousand rounds through mine and never a problem. The take down for cleaning can be fun if you don’t hold on to that spring.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
These are sleeper of a pistol. A budget version of the famed model 41. Takes the same mags even. Smith quit making these because the profit margin just wasn’t there. I think these are really great compared to Buckmarks or the Mark series. Here is why.

1. Low bore axis. Less muzzle rise for beginner shooters.
2. Easy to reach safety and slide stop. For smaller hand, the other pistol require the shooter to shift grip and change the direction that the gun is pointed to.
3. Easy to rack. The slide is easy for small hands to rack.
3.5. Easy to reach mag release. The mag release is in the front part of the grip. While unorthodox, it also aid in manipulation without shifting the grip of the gun.
4. Accurate. These are very accurate for the class of pistol.
5. Great suppressor host. Already threaded. Just need adaptor. Low bore axis allow you to use the sight.
6. Adjustable sights. Standard S&W adjustable sights.
7. Less expensive. Because of their unknown voters, they can be had for a bargain at times.

My daughter used one to compete in SASP shooting. I think it is the best pistol for that sport.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have one and had a 2213. (one of those guns I really miss even though I rarely used it).

Only down side is the flat plate spring on the left side, the tab breaks off them. fairly common issue, even if you never take the gun apart. (both mine broke) First one I got from S&W. The last one's I just bought myself and a spare. Cheap enough, but frustrating. I wouldn't let that scare you away though, especially if the price is good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I have a 422 identical to the one pictured in the OP. I can shoot it just as well as a model 41. They are very high quality for what they cost. I got mine which seemed new in the box with all the paperwork for less than $400 on GB.

Someone local has a 2206 (the stainless model) for sale, and I am fighting not buying it.....

These guns are still a bargain IMO.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I had the Stainless 622 years ago; traded it for a 10" bull barrel MKIV. It was a great little .22 and quite accurate. No functioning issues that I can recall.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15499 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
422, not 442. 442 is a revolver AFAIK.

I've got a 2206 TGT, 622VR, 422 and 2213. Fun guns.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First and only pistol my father bought me.
I have a early one. Came with two 12 round mags.
Will eat pretty much anything besides Remington
Golden ammo.

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
422, not 442. 442 is a revolver AFAIK.

Ha! Missed that, good catch.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Since we are discussing these cool pistols,
It is my understanding the 622 pistols still had an aluminum frame, basically the same as a 422 except for stainless appearance on the finish. The 2206 model was identical to a 622 but with a stainless steel frame. If anyone can confirm, deny, or elaborate on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ewillis, yes you are correct the 422 and 622 models have the aluminum frames, the 2206 has the stainless frame.

Posts: 247 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a Tokarev.

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have one. Most reliable of all my .22 plinkers. Pretty accurate despite the light weight. Bought mine for under $250 which makes it a real bargain.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGregor:
ewillis, yes you are correct the 422 and 622 models have the aluminum frames, the 2206 has the stainless frame.

Yep what McGregor said! Have a 622 and love the lil thing, need an empty casing to break down bot nice shooter and FUN!! Get it!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post