SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is Nitron a coating or a Treatment?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Nitron a coating or a Treatment? Login/Join 
Picture of jbcummings
posted
Let’s say I’ve got a P224 SAS with the standard Nitron finish and I was considering putting some grippy hash grooves on the front of the trigger guard. Would I be exposing the steel underneath the coating or is Nitron a treatment that’s fairly deep in the metal? Maybe just grip tape instead (btw I hate grip tape).

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please pardon my having been under a rock for some timme lol, but they made a steel frame variant of the P-224?

Posts: 904 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: June 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, SIG has never actually said what Nitron is. I think they've hinted that it's something like Tennifer/Melonite, meaning ferric nitrocarborizing. But I've read elsewhere that it's tungsten DLC. Either way I think it's more of a treatment than a coating (a coating being something like Cerakote.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The trigger is likely steel.

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleIsGood229:
Please pardon my having been under a rock for some timme lol, but they made a steel frame variant of the P-224?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The trigger is likely steel.

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleIsGood229:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
...front of the trigger guard.

Anodized aluminum frame, but the trigger is likely MIM, so probably an alloy/steel...
I would consider it a treatment and not a coating(and not particularly deep at that, so yes, you're exposing metal), as mentioned, Cerakote is a coating.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
SIG hasn't been crazy about modifying frames in the past, but that's a small enough change that I wonder whether the Custom Shop wouldn't be willing to handle the project.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Steel or alloy of some flavor, I could have been off on calling it steel. I have more than one pistol that has hashing on the front of the trigger guard. I’m just trying to figure out if I’m potentially causing a problem by a little do-it-yourself work. I can imagine it might take me less than an hour to carefully create a small patch that would aide my non-domment hand and give me a little more purchase during recoil.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Steel or alloy of some flavor, I could have been off on calling it steel.
Yeah, no, it's aluminum alloy unless they made a P224ST no one has ever heard of, and certainly not in an SAS flavor.

It's your frame and you can do as you wish with it obviously, I don't use a grip that places my weak hand digit/s on the trigger guard, but by all means. It shouldn't be difficult and I doubt it would be deep enough to hurt the weapon structurally, do you have a plan to match the existing finish?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stoic-one,

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of winter_war
posted Hide Post
Nitron is a Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) finish.

Your alloy frame is anodized with a black dye coat.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
No matter if the frame is steel or aluminum, treated or coated, if you cut grooves into the trigger guard, you're cutting through whatever the surface finish is, and the base metal will be exposed. I see guns with similar modifications at every large gun show. If I had to have some treatment to the trigger guard, I'd look into that skateboard tape type stuff.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
No matter if the frame is steel or aluminum, treated or coated, if you cut grooves into the trigger guard, you're cutting through whatever the surface finish is, and the base metal will be exposed. I see guns with similar modifications at every large gun show. If I had to have some treatment to the trigger guard, I'd look into that skateboard tape type stuff.

/truth

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The frame is aluminum, so it isn't Nitron, whatever Nitron is.

You will be cutting through the black-dyed anodizing if you do it. The trigger guard isn't too structural, so you can probably get away with it, but it will be aluminum colored under the anodizing.

And checkering on the front of the trigger guard is soooooo 1984.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Well, my X5 is post-1984 and it has checkering on the front of its trigger guard. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8841 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
When I sent my 1986 P225 back to SIGArms circa 2012ish for a full Nitron treatment (yes they can Nitron aluminum) my pistol was sent to the same state and town that IONBond is located in but SIG is famously tight lipped about their actual Nitron finish/process which may have used other vendors over time.

Bill

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SiGagain,

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post