SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P220 Capacity
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P220 Capacity Login/Join 
posted
Hi guys,

New to the forum and considering a Sig P220 in .45 ACP (either a regular P220 or a Legion P220). I have a couple of P320s (a custom 9mm Compact and a .45ACP full size).

Big question is in regards to the capacity of the P220: I see the Legion page on the sig site as the Legion P220 having 8 round capacity... yet I see P220s (full-size/4.4 and compact/3.9) in other sites as having 10 round capacity...

Which is it?

Thanks,

R

Posts: 11 | Registered: September 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RLinhares:
Hi guys,

New to the forum and considering a Sig P220 in .45 ACP (either a regular P220 or a Legion P220). I have a couple of P320s (a custom 9mm Compact and a .45ACP full size).

Big question is in regards to the capacity of the P220: I see the Legion page on the sig site as the Legion P220 having 8 round capacity... yet I see P220s (full-size/4.4 and compact/3.9) in other sites as having 10 round capacity...

Which is it?

Thanks,

R

Welcome to SF.

Full size P220 and Carry P220 have the 8-rounder flush fit. There is the 10-rounder for them, but obviously, it will still out from the bottom quite a bit.

The Compact P220 has the 6-rounder flush fit.

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standard capacity mag for p220 is 8. They do make 10rd magazines and if I’m not mistaken the combat model comes with the 10rd magazine, but most models ship with 8 round mags

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I may be splitting hairs here, but the 8-round magazine is not truly flush-fit. P220s first came with a 7-round magazine which IS flush-fit. The current 8-round magazine extends slightly from the bottom of the grip frame.

P220 magazines; 7-round on left, 8 on right:

P220-1magazines by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You're splitting hair, Gary. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Below information is in reference to .45ACP only and since P220's are available in different calibers depending on vintage,
you will also find P220's in 10mm, 9mm, and .38 Super.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...azine-stainless.html
P220 compact and P245. Six plus one in the chamber.

P220 Carry and Full size. Eight plus one in the chamber. Plastic base pad is "almost" flush with the bottom of the grip. Older P220 magazines may be seven plus one in the chamber and with a metal base plate. (usually blued)

https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...eel-with-sleeve.html
Extended magazine for P220.
On a Full sized or Carry, they will extend below the bottom of the grip by about an inch and a half. Most folks carry with the standard appropriate magazine in the pistol. Some carry the extended ten round magazine(s) for reloads.
I believe the ten round will function in a Compact or P245, but will extend even further below the bottom of the grip.

Buying magazines? Most P220 owners will not use aftermarket. Cracked feed lips, malfunctions.

Note the magazine in this photo is
marked 220-1. Make sure any magazines that you purchase have the pressed in dimple(s) at the top rear of the magazine tube. (oval race track shape) That prevents the top round from moving forward inappropriately during operation.
I have them with one dimple and two.
(one on each side)

Good luck with your search for a P220.
I personally prefer the all stainless variants of P220's. With the stainless steel frame.
Heavy, but a real pleasure to shoot.
And BTW, Welcome to the SIG Forum!

Top Gun Supply is a Great Vendor for SIG's and SIG parts/supplies.
https://www.topgunsupply.com/

Also look at Greg Cote LLC.
http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Thanks guys!...

NOW I am going to go look for a stainless steel variant of the P220!...

Really appreciate the help...

R

posted Hide Post
++1 on TGS. I've used them for many years.

I also like Greg Cote for Sig accessories:

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow... at the topgunsupply.com site right now - this is like a candy store... nice!!!!

R

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Here is some eye candy for you!

10mm.
DSC01162 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

DSC01160 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

DSC01158 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

DSC01156 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

DSC01149 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The photo above with the arrow pointing to the indentation at the top rear of the 8-round magazine may be a little misleading or at least confusing. That indentation isn't the defining feature of an 8-round mag because there are some without it.

What to look for are the eight witness holes and/or the extended plastic floor plate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you collect them?... Here I was... thinking what would classify you as a crazy gun enthusiast... 30 guns?... 40 guns?... I can't really say there is a number...

BUT I think I am going to have to sell the Durango... damn it... I love that truck!

R

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RLinhares:
Do you collect them?... Here I was... thinking what would classify you as a crazy gun enthusiast... 30 guns?... 40 guns?... I can't really say there is a number...

BUT I think I am going to have to sell the Durango... damn it... I love that truck!

R

https://images.app.goo.gl/R5HEsdS6mxR5DPqr6

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Buying magazines? Most P220 owners will not use aftermarket. Cracked feed lips, malfunctions.

Can confirm. I have some ProMags for P220 in 45ACP, and they suck!!! Mad

I have had success w/ ProMags for different model guns though, so they're not all bad - just most of them.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Careful RLinhares, you have set your foot on a slippery slope. Any one you talk to here is a certified enabler.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:

Can confirm. I have some ProMags for P220 in 45ACP, and they suck!!! Mad

I have had success w/ ProMags for different model guns though, so they're not all bad - just most of them.

OEM mags have also had some issues. Recent production runs had reduced the crimp / crease at the top edge which caused interference with the mag catch release when inserting the mag. My Feb ‘19 built 220 came with 2 such mags and the replacements sent by Sig CS were no better. But the 3 mags that had been shipped with my Dec ‘17 220 Legion worked smoothly.

There was an earlier thread herein in which a Top Gun Supply rep commented that they had returned a case of mags to Sig for the same issue.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Factory P220 mags have been MIA for a while but are now coming back into stock at most online stores.
I did hear there were some QC issues.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st Gen P220ST

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
If you can't find OEM stainless 220 mags, the ones made by ACT-Mag have served me well.

Like 1911 mags, and most single stack mags,you have to treat them as consumable items. If the lips start spreading/splitting, just throw them away and replace

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 9mmepiphany,

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I bought from non-Sig mags before for the P320 45... they were supposed to hold 10 rounds but could hardly fit 9 each (extremely hard spring)... if you managed to put 10 rounds in them and shook them they would eject the first round... definitely not what you want...