SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Competition Series 1911 w/ series 70 trigger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Competition Series 1911 w/ series 70 trigger Login/Join 
posted
Anyone own and or have experience with the Colt 1911 competition series with the series 70 trigger?....in 45acp in particular.

I wondering about overall quality, reliability, accuracy and whether the re-introduced series 70 trigger is noticeably less creepy than the series 80.

After selling or giving away my last couple 1911's within the recent past, I now miss having one. It would be a range "toy" as opposed to a concealed carry weapon.

Any opinions for or against would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that the fit and finish as well as the function and accuracy are quite good for the price. In my opinion, one of these makes a fine base for a custom build.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an 80 series Colt Competition in 9mm.
Quality for the money is fantastic in my opinion.
I like that it has an undercut trigger guard from the factory and so far so good with mine.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I do not have one but I will be following this thread with interest. I've been eying these for a long time now, and one may be my next purchase. It has everything I want in a 1911 (except front strap checkering), and nothing I dont. Price doesn't seem too bad for what you get, either.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I purchased a Colt Series 70 retro .45 auto as well as a Series 80 9mm (both were 5" Government Models). Surprisingly, the Series 80 trigger was much better than the Series 70 retro which had noticeable creep before the break.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a s/s Colt Competition 9mm. I ordered it right when the s/s came out without seeing it first. The finish is perfect on it. The barrel bushing fit and slide to frame fit are extremely tight and rival my Wilson Combat and Ed Brown. The gun is accurate. The trigger has no creep and excellent feel although a touch on the heavy side (probably 5lbs). The only complaints I could find on the entire gun is the grip safety has a little side to side play and the trigger has a little up and down movement. But I paid $865 with shipping and for the money it's one hell of a gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled about a dozen comp. series 1911 pistols at my LGS yesterday. All exhibited exemplary fit & finish. I found only one with a series 70 trigger, a two tone stainless frame & blue slide. I'm inclined to go purchase it tomorrow if it is still there. I haven't found any real negative comments in the reviews I've read online. I thought I'd check here before I jumped. So far I've heard nothing that discourages me.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got up early and got to my LGS as it opened. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes.

I'm now the owner of a Government Model, Competition Series, 45 Auto, 5" National Match Barrel, Stainless Steel Frame, Blued Slide, Series 70, Model 0.

Can't find a flaw. Trigger is great with the tiniest bit of take up and a crisp break. No over travel. Probably won't shoot it today as snow is expected and it's a bit chilly. I feel like a kid with a new toy.

posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I find myself in a similar position, no 1911's currently in the house. I have been looking at the competition series and a couple others lately.

Hope you can get out and shoot it soon, but having to dig through snow to clean up your brass is a hassle

Posts: 31 | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome, let us know how it shoots. I couldn't see the blue FO front site for anything that the gun ships with, but there's a small vial with red and green ones that ship with the gun, I put the green in mine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I couldn't wait, so I filled 2 8rd. magazines and went out back in the blowing snow yesterday afternoon. I stapled a 2 foot square piece of cardboard to the target backstop. From 15 yards and aiming at the center of the cardboard, I unloaded both magazines rapidly, unsupported, while standing. I doubt this took 2 minutes. I found 16 holes in the cardboard, a bit left of center, in about an 8 inch diameter group. If I account for 3-4 fliers, the group shrinks to about 6 inches. The result says less about the pistol's accuracy and more about my degraded skills. This was the first time I've shot a 1911 pistol in about 4 years. The brief experience reminded me of how much I've enjoyed shooting the 1911 over the years. I'm looking forward to better conditions so I can shoot from a rest and make sight adjustments if necessary. After that I expect I'll be shooting the new pistol fairly often. My overall impression of the pistol is entirely positive.